Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

BLACK AREAS ON PRINTS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 8000 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mechaneil
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: BLACK AREAS ON PRINTS Reply with quote Back to top

Hello. Have a KIP 8000 at work that started getting black areas on prints. Machine wasn't serviced for quite some time, like almost 2 years, and I'm actually surprised it held up and didn't have any problem earlier. Anyway, here's a picture of the prints we are having.

https://imgur.com/L0MU4P6

Appreciate any help on what could be causing this. Not too familiar with how to repair it so tell it to me like I'm a 5 year old. Thanks guys.

Last edited by mechaneil on Mon May 11, 2020 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

jedi4342
medical school grad

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Can't really tell from the pic., could be the grid plate on the charge corona. You can take it off and polish it up or replace it. Would get areas that would look like that and polish up the grid and it took care of it.

mechaneil
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the reply. If I run just one or two prints at a time , it's fine. But when printing multiple pages, it's getting those black areas.

Not sure what the grid plate is, but is that the long piece that you can pull from the side and has the 3 copper wires on it. Do i need to clean those wires?

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Might be time to bite the bullet and have it serviced by a trained tech.....just saying
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dirty main charge assy/wires.
Possible old drum

mechaneil
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mark in vegas wrote:
Might be time to bite the bullet and have it serviced by a trained tech.....just saying

I hear and agree with you. Looking for a Kip technician in my area.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Where you be at?
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

jedi4342
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wish it was near Jacksonville, FL. Still say it's the grid plate on the image corona. My 8000's and 9900 both would do it, just cleaning the wires did not do it.

mechaneil
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mark in vegas wrote:
Where you be at?

Central Coast, California

Anyone know someone in the area/region that I can contact. The former owner of the machine doesn't have an account with KIP anymore so we are not able to go through them.

mechaneil
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Managed to take out the drum (secured and covered from direct light) and other parts are being cleaned of toner build up with a vacuum and canned air spray.

https://imgur.com/c5UbQuN
https://imgur.com/NUceUxI
https://imgur.com/pwg7iaJ

For the drum, how do you clean off the toner. What kind of wiping material can I use. Soap and water good, or IPA?

Placebo
intern

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I work out of Sacramento and I have an experienced KIP tech in Santa Rosa. There is a pink chemical solution we use to clean drums followed by IPA. IPA can be used if that's all you have, just takes little more elbow grease.

I agree with jedi on the grid plate. I have also found bad grounding in the imaging area cause similar issues.

mechaneil
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Got it working this afternoon. Basically just cleaned all the parts I've taken apart with IPA and the drum with NU Finish Scratch Doctor and chamois fabric ( great tip I've found by searching this forum). Vacuumed and clean out all the toner and replaced with a fresh cartridge.

Anyway, did multiple prints and some area still has hazy images. Might be due to "drum shock", being exposed to minimal indoor light. Hoping to get better prints consequently.

Thanks for all the quick and helpful replies here. Awesome forum and people!

caltech
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Mechaneil, I work out of the SF bay area and get down to the cental coast quite often. I can stop in the next time in down there.
PM me with your location.

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in San luis Obispo, if you're not from a competing print shop I'll be happy to take a look at it. Just PM me.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If Caltech can’t fix it I’m willing to bet any amount that it can’t be fixed. He’s only been working on KIP’s for 900 years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 8000 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: