Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

POLICY CHANGE AT KIP-HEADS UP!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> General KIP Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: POLICY CHANGE AT KIP-HEADS UP! Reply with quote Back to top

We thought we were going to have to replace an IPS for a 7100 but that turned out to not be the case. However, now if you aren't the original purchaser of the printer you will billed for not just the IPS ($1195) you will also have to pay for another OS license @ $1195. Just thought you should know.......
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's not right. Shouldn't the license be to the OS of the controller, regardless of who the current/past owner is? That seems like double dipping.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just a guess, when buying a printer you are only buying a license to use the software, you don't own the software. If the IPS needs to be replaced then it follows that another license would need to be purchased. It's a crappy situation but I sorta get it. Kinda like buying a new computer loaded with an OS, part of the price includes the license. I know computers can be bought or built without an OS, unless you're an OEM with an OEM license any OS you install without paying for another license could be viewed as bootleg. I'm no attorney so don't take this as gospel, just my opinion. And I have an opinion on everything......

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just curious if the controller was originally running XP or Windows 7?
I would think that if was running XP and you needed a new controlller due to the age of XP all KIP now has is Windows 7 then KIP could justify the OS upgrade charge, but if the machine was originally purchased with 7 then that’s BS.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

7100 would've been running XP, unless the Win7 upgrade was bought and installed.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dlee is correct. Right now the 7100 is running XP and the company is unlikely to buy the WIN 7 update/upgrade. Turns out the IPS wasn't causing the issue. Check the 7100 forum.

bigal
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: extra fee Reply with quote Back to top

Yes Kip now wants to charge again for the keycodes if you aren't the "original purchaser of the equipment. The problem is most of the machines were sold through their dealer network. Since then many dealers have switched to HP or gone out of business!
So now a end user has to pay again because the "original" purchaser was a now defunct dealer??
Or a dealer that now sells HP??

Seems like they are trying to get the older equipment out of the field as most customers refuse to pay again for the Keycodes.
In my area the biggest dealer of KIP went to HP only a couple of years ago and I am servicing many of their old customers!

maggoolee2525
medical school grad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:09 am    Post subject: kip software Reply with quote Back to top

This is interesting......especially when we are phasing out windows 7 .....Assuming im the 2nd owner of the machine .....and the System K is up and running...and i want to purchase Kip ImagePro and the other softwares that require key codes ....can i purchase it from a different dealer...with disclosure of my serial nos and proof ownership of usage

maggoolee2525
medical school grad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: image pro Reply with quote Back to top

The KIP 900 series seems to be integrated with the Rips etc but what about the earlier models KIp 800 series how do we go abt this ......anyone willing to to be our vendor .....

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The vendor would have to be the original selling dealer. If they are no longer in business or won't cooperate with you then you're SOL. I have seen only one exception to this. The customer owned the printer and needed the keycodes, KIP stonewalled them. However, after several calls to KIP with the promise of future calls (browbeating) KIP coughed up the codes no charge. Your experience may be different............

Augiedoggy
resident

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The company I work for hasnt been a Kip dealer for a few years now yet I still get contacted for and obtain replacement keys for my previous customers. I now keep a backup of all the keys as I do this and warn them to do the same.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have a customer that had originally bought their KIP7100 from another huge dealer and also had them servicing it. They recently switched to us for service. A couple months ago their controller needed to be re-ghosted. I contacted KIP for the Keycodes and they did tell me I would have to purchase them for $1,195. The customer tried to contact the original dealer but they would not help him because they were no longer a KIP dealer. What I forgot was that the keycodes resides in the .INI files for older models and in the Service Mode Key Code screen on SysK systems. I was "kindly" reminded when we tried to press KIP for the keycodes.. Obviously, if someone's controller crashed, you wouldn't be able to get to the keycodes anyways.

So I was able to get the keycodes from the .INI files and then did the re-ghost. Everything looked good and the keycodes worked. A couple days later, the customer called and said the color scan wasn't working. ""FACEPLANT"'....I forgot about the color keycodes and since I ghosted the controller, there was no way to retrieve them. Customer had to call KIP and he said they gave him a hard time but ended up giving him the color keycodes....

So what I took from this experience is that if you pick up an account that wasn't your sale, find out if they have the keycodes or go in and jot down the keycodes from the .INI files, keycodes from the color scan screen and/or the Service Mode Key Code screen on SysK.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What you also can take away from this is that even though the customer has already paid for the Windows license that dosen't matter if KIP's hardware fails. The customer is still stuck with paying again if they would like to continue to use the printer. I believe KIP is setting themselves up for a lawsuit for double charging for a product the customer already has paid for. I'm not a lawyer but I played one on TV..............

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not entirely sure if the cost is for the Windows License or the Keycodes. But either way, it's wrong to withhold the keycodes. It's almost like you have to pay ransom, just to get existing keycodes from them.

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

From what I know, the Windows license is sold tied to the actual controller. But the Keycodes are tied to the printer. If the controller fails then they can charge for Windows but I don't see how they can deny the keycodes. Maybe that's why they sometimes relent if they are bitched at enough?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> General KIP Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: