Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

KIP 3000 printing lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlazaro317
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: KIP 3000 printing lines Reply with quote Back to top

All,
Trying to keep my KIP 3000 running. It only has 121k clicks on it and I feel it still has some life left in it. It has served me well for the last 6 years that I've owned it and usually only needs 1 service call per year.
Friday morning, it started kicking out erratic output. Inputting a plan to copy or sending a plot from the computer yields the same result...a short 12" plot of just lines regardless of whether I sent a C or D size drawing to it. I emailed the local dealer to request a service call and she said that she spoke to one of the techs and they said it sounds like it needs a new controller and they cannot help me because they are obsolete. She would be glad to send someone out to take my money but doesn't sound good. The last service call was in December and we got it back up and running then and the service tech told me that my days were numbered since the motherboard had swelled caps on it. I immediately ordered the caps and changed 8 swelled caps on the motherboard and it has worked well for the last 4 months with no issues. The issue at the last service call was that it was requesting a keyboard on startup. We attached a keyboard to it and it has worked fine. I also get an error occasionally that I need to go in and clear a log file after scanning. For what it's worth, I have the black controller.
Any ideas?

jlazaro317

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I spoke to the local tech this morning and he said it sounds like either the motherboard or the IF card are going....and both are obsolete parts. So I guess if I can find a good used one for a decent price, then my machine lives a little longer. Otherwise I'm shopping for a replacement.

Placebo
intern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like your CMOS battery has died. Put a new battery in and set your bios settings accordingly and you should be GTG. Clear any bad files out of Request and problem folders of course and run a check disk.

jlazaro317

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Easy enough. I'll try it. Thanks for the reply!

jlazaro317

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

New battery and resetting the BIOS didn't work....at least the date and time are right now. I've got the 945 motherboard and found a previous post with all the settings. I've got a condition 62 - input past end of file that pops up usually after scanning error message. I've gone in before to erase the log file that causes it in the DOS shell. I cannot even get in the DOS shell right now without getting the blue screen of death. Other than that, the machine boots up normally and gives me the normal screen. I'm getting about 3-4 inches of normal plot and then "the barcode" for the rest of the sheet.
I'm thinking it's either motherboard or IF card issue. Emailed the Doc to see if either parts existed. Any other ideas?

Placebo
intern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Are you able to run a check disk? Could be the hard drive failing. Can it produce an internal print?

jlazaro317

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No, I cannot even get into DOS to do that. I don't think it's the HD since it boots fine and I only get the blue screen if I try to access the DOS shell. HD failures I've had on PCs give me the blue screen as when attempting to boot.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've seen something similar to this before, a very long time ago. The 3000 would just print black lines down the print or a few inches of the image, then all of a sudden just black lines for the remainder of the print. I'm sure it had to do with a full HD or Request folder. I know it had to do with deleting file(s) and freeing up space. Let me research my files and see if I can find out exactly what it was.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Look at the d: drive and see how full it is. Should only have a few GB used and the majority free space. Also Check the d: drive, monpath1, folder, inside there look for the Request folder and delete the contents. All file should have 8 letters that don’t spell anything.

Another thing to try is a check disc. You can also do this on the touch screen.
Go to the diagnostics folder, my computer, hold your finger on the d: drive and click properties, then tools, click automatically fix errors, don’t check the box that say says check sectors?, you should get a message that says it can’t be done... reboot IPS and let it do it’s thing. Boot will be a little longer than normal. Hope I got that correct it from memory and that’s not what it used to be.

RTE 62 is something has interrupted the job ticket from Request to Unattended. Thy printing test page from the test screen in the configuration area and see if that prints. KIP info says something about virus software

Doubt it’s a IF card going bad, it’s extremely rare. I do have 4-5 laying around though.

I’m just getting ready to scrap my last 3000 I have for parts so let me know if you need anything other than the actual IPS that was gone a long time ago

jlazaro317

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I appreciate all the help. I've tried everything and tired of the fight. It's been a good run. It's never been a perfect machine but good enough for me and my needs. The biggest frustration is the lack of available parts so I know whether I'm able to fix it now or not that I'll eventually have to retire it due to parts availability....and I think that is sooner rather than later. I really think it's the IPS failing....also what 2 different service techs have told me. I replaced the bulging caps and it bought me another 4 months. It's leaving tomorrow and a new to me Oce Plotwave 365 will be taking it's place. It was between that and a KIP 7170. A buddy of mine has an Oce 300 and loves it...I feel that Oce long term support is better so I'm jumping ship.
Thanks again!

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just curious what you consider long term support?

There were 2 versions of the 3000
1050#### serial # and 1051####

The last 1050 came off the production line in 2005
And support was officially discontinued in 12/2012.

The last 1051 came off the production line 2008
And support was officially discontinued in 3/2015.

KIP machines are supported for 7 years after the last one is built.
Except the IPS and the Scanner main boards ,pretty much every other part I’m sure is still available till KIP or through this website.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: