Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Doc's comparison of HP Pagewide printers VS KIP 800 Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> General HP Pagewide Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What a Debbie Downer.....OK here's my official review...Fast as hell, software and firmware still wonky. Razz
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Careful Mark. i don't want to have flog you again. Lol

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

And I don't go by Debbie anymore.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Should I call you Shirley??

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You would have to buy me dinner first.

cmwade77
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, not sure what issues mark is having with the firmware, perhaps another thread about that would be good? Also, mark, have you upgraded to the latest firmware that came out last week?

I am seeing one issue myself and that's that I can select a recently used roll length, it changes from 500' to 5' when I do, so I also have to select custom and enter 500', other than that, I have had no problems with the system or software, aside from user error when trying to select the number of copies and wanting them collated.

One issue that I have run into though is I can't put paper in fast enough, seriously I have 6 drawers and it can chew through all of the paper in nothing flat.

Another is that you do have to check the stacker fairly frequently, as you can very quickly build up past its maximum stacking capacity and this can cause a jam. I sent a very large job to the plotter just a little while ago and this was an issue that arose. When Mark says this plotter is fast he means it, one user here said it runs at warp speed compared to the KIP 8000.

One more is actually and issue with the paper that we recently purchased, the ends of the roll are wrinkled and if the plotter tries to use the entire roll, it may jam. But this is an issue we had with the KIP when we had this type of paper before, so we will return to our old supplier for paper, as they provide a better quality for the same price.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The firmware was updated at install by the install techs ( I'm not trained yet). Give you an example, first sheet in a half size job jams then it's all good. I think some (most) of the issues are caused by the production weenies not learning the new equipment. Overall for a new product things aren't a deal breaker, so far print quality and speed are a real plus.

MadCopy
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We have been running the HP 8000 on LI for about 3 weeks.
I have known the Doc for a very long time and have been friends
for many years. We go way back. I can tell you that after decades
of ammonia and toner issues this is what we have been waiting for as a Reprographics company. Yes the software is buggy but I believe HP
will treat this as its baby. If you are complaining you have to change paper
so much because its so fast I would say that's a good thing. Your making money. This is the first real upgrade volume wise we have seen in more than
10 years. Its early in the game but there is a confidence in Print quality and speed that I have not had in a while. Its only a matter of time before Color saturates the market. How Long? Who Knows? Probably at least a year!!
MadCopy

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can tell you all this, Mad Copy and Mark in Vegas are probably the best people to give their opinions on this machine. I have taken care of Mad Copy's five KIP 8000 units personally under service contract in the early days of the 8000. They are a very busy shop that just needs to have the machine do what they are intended to do, print with no drama. The KIPs were always drama filled, hence the need for service contracts. The HP's just print. Isn't that just what we want from these type of machines?

I also would like to announce that in 2016 I am personally launching an HP Pagewide forums site to provide info much these these great forums have. I have my domains already set up and am just starting to work on the forums structure. If you would like to join you can do so at www.pagewideforum.com

no content yet, but it will start very soon.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You go girl!

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thought I would update my post regarding the Pagewide. Half size is still an issue, HP has collected the log files and will see if they can resolve this. Print quality is outstanding, however a couple of customers don't like the way black (typical inkjet) looks so their jobs go to the KIPs. Smartstream is still a work in progress with HP looking into the matter. Overall, the PageWide is a KIP killer no doubt about it.

GR81
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, I hate to burst everyone's bubble but.....
I have also seen the KIP 800 series and the HP Pagewide side by side and the KIP is by far the better product for the AEC industry.
First off most of the comparisons above were against the KIP 9900, well the KIP 9900 is dead. The fact of the matter is the KIP 860 is a full .05 per sq ft cheaper than the pagewide.
As pointed out above (and I have seen it as well) I can't run the Pagewide on 20# bond and still have my blacks print good enough so I have to run a bond paper that cost twice as much.
As far as toner vs ink, come on people toner will ALWAYS be less than ink and if you have a manufacturer that says ink is cheaper you should be seeing red flags all over the place.
Just use your head if ink could even come close to toner every office copier manufacturer would be switch their product line over to ink based equipment.
We have an 860 in our office, and another out in the field with a whole bunch more on order. Every customer that has come in for a demo has ordered one every single one. The graphics on the Pagewide are better, but not enough to warrant the price difference and the special paper needed to make them look better. The other thing to consider is the footprint of the HP, that thing is a monster.
A lot of HP Koolaid being drunk in here but the KIP will out sell the HP 5 to 1.

MadCopy
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good Points!! Kip will probably out sell HP for sure.
But we need to wait 6 months to see how maintenance goes and
how quality control is. Speed is the key for us. It may not be for you and that is ok. As long as the A/E/C industry moves forward toward more color it will be beneficial to all.

GR81
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If speed is the issue by 3 KIP 800's, it will be the same price as the HP 8000 and the KIP will out run it all day. Remember the KIPs do not need to stop and do a printhead cleaning. Plus with 3 KIPs you will never be down. Smile

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am happy to announce the the PageWide Forum is up and running with it's initial basic forum structure. More categories will be added as needed. Please take moment to join up and be a part of the discussions.
You can find it at www.pagewideforum.com.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> General HP Pagewide Info All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: