Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Doc's comparison of HP Pagewide printers VS KIP 800 Series
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> General HP Pagewide Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Doc's comparison of HP Pagewide printers VS KIP 800 Series Reply with quote Back to top

Yesterday I had the opportunity to compare the HP 8000 Pagewide to the KIP 860 on a head to head basis. Coming soon is my full opinion on these two products. I will post this info as information and opinion only. Being that I am semi retired now and getting into unrelated fields, I have absolutely no stake in either one of these products. I do not wish to sell or service either of these. This is more a curiosity review as to what is happening in this quickly evolving color market. More news to follow soon.

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry for the delay on this , the Doc has been going nuts lately.
Let me just start by saying how fortunate and blessed I truly find myself. If timing is everything, then I have everything. I entered this business soon after Darris McCord brought the very first Shacoh 920 wide format printer to the United States and started Shacoh USA, of which I was an early team member. That was the first 36 inch printer to blow away the Xerox 2080.

A few years later I was a part of the Shacoh USA debut of the KIP 3800. The very first digital wide format printer. I was amazed as was most of the market.

Later KIP introduced the KIP 8000. I installed the first two units sold in the country. In my opinion the very best machine ever to come out of KIP to date.

I thought I had seen everything this HDP toner technology could be. In a way I was right. It was a wild ride, one that I was proud to be a part of and a part of all the people I have met along the way. Now, as I prepare to semi retire and move away from this business something new comes to the market that has excited the crap out of me again.
Yes the HP Pagewide is that product.
I feel very strange talking this product up, as a service guy that made his career on providing service on high maintenance printers, here is one that stands to put all of us service guys out to pasture. That's hard for me, I remember being told by the president of KIP that service is the necessary evil. No one likes service costs but it was needed. On these HP I just don't see the need. Having no stake in the selling of these units and of course no stake in the service, I feel I must be honest to my followers that have provided me this amazing ride.
Toner is dead.
Yes, I just said that.
Lot's will disagree with me on this, but change is always tough.
This HP Pagewide technology is all that. It's not that the KIP Color products are bad, they are not. But the HP is just THAT good. The print quality, the build of the machine, the simpleness of the machine, the speed ( oh the speed!)
The KIP color is good, how could it not be? It is really just an oversized Canon Color copier. They were good. When they were new. When they ran right. When the tech had just serviced it. But these, HPs should look good long after many miles with most likely a ton less service. That is key in this competitive market. The HP will help develop the color Arch and Eng document demand in a way the KIP could never do. Everyone knows HP. They are huge. They have been doing color forever. How long has KIP been doing color? Color is a completely different market than what KIP is used to. Kip does not even make a fast printer anymore. Sad. I loved the KIP products of old. They had their run. HP will drive the next chapter. It is going to be fun to watch even if I am watching from the sidelines. Actually might be more fun from there. I won't have the headaches.

So that's just the tip of it for now. And of course this is just one man's opinion. Take it for what it's worth. I 'd love to know your thoughts either way. Thanks for listening.

I do want to clarify one point, in no way am I advocating that you do not need a service contract with these new machines. They will break and parts will fail. Expensive parts. The point I am trying to make is that due to the simple design service will not be as frequent as the old toner based machines. Hence the service contracts will be less expensive. I highly recommend if you buy one of these units you still should protect yourself with a service contract from a quality service provider.

Last edited by KIPDOCTOR on Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We just finished installing 2 HP 8000's. Fast and no toner, no LED printhead.
HP's software is still buggy but they seem to be ironing out the issues so far. Did I mention that they're FAST. On plain paper the blacks aren't really black but that's to be expected on an inkjet.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

awtech
medical school grad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What is the differences between the 4000, 4500 and 8000?

What are their MSRPs?

TXReproShop
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

How about some prices on ink cartridges and printheads also. Local HP dealer here will not give out any cost(s) on the machine unless you attend a demo session that is some 50 miles away for me and they will not give out "consumable" cost until you commit to purchase once you attend the demo.

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

HP Consumables list pricing for the HP8000

Black ink $150
Color ink $240
Printhead $600
Cleaning container $46
maint cartridge $61

Est consumable cost per sq ft Per HP estimates

B&W Lines $0.006
Color Lines $0.008
Color image low density $0.046
Color image high density$0.126

cmwade77
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just post a fairly detailed review under this thread:
http://keepitprinting.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?p=27523#27523

I have put in prices as best I can, HP and our dealer are both very insistent about not posting prices of the machines. But I will say it is very similar to what the KIP 9900 was and the speed of the HP Pagewide XL 8000 is 30 D size per minute vs 22 D size per minute on the KIP 9900.

As for costs of maintenance items and ink, you can see that here:
http://sourcegraphics.com/supplies/by-product/5928/hp-pagewide-xl-8000-printer
NOTE: This is not our dealer, but this page has prices for these items and is publicly viewable, so I won't get in trouble from our dealer or HP for posting it.

Sorry if I should have posted it here instead.

Also, some have asked about the printheads and how often they are cleaned. They are cleaned after a certain number of plots, but if at all possible never during the middle of a print job, even large print jobs. The only time it seems to do so is if the quality is degrading and it has to do so in order to fix it.

As for the software, I don't really find any bugs in it, other than not being able to install the license manager on a VMWare server, just lacking a good unified accounting feature.

cmwade77
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

KIPDOCTOR wrote:
HP Consumables list pricing for the HP8000

Black ink $150
Color ink $240
Printhead $600
Cleaning container $46
maint cartridge $61

Est consumable cost per sq ft Per HP estimates

B&W Lines $0.006
Color Lines $0.008
Color image low density $0.046
Color image high density$0.126

We are actually seeing our consumable costs slightly lower than this so far. We are seeing B&W and Color running about the same per Sq. Ft. at around $0.007 with the coverage area we are testing with, which I am told is about 10% higher coverage than what these numbers were tested with, but then again these drawings have a mix of B&W and color on them.

The color image high density though is pretty much spot on for the pricing.

HP also has a special paper that reduces the ink usage by about 25%, so I am waiting on the pricing for the paper to determine if it would be worth using it or not.

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Posting Chris's comments in the the other thread here also.
cmwade77 wrote:
These most definitely are being sold, we just replaced our KIP 8000 that was dying with this on Monday.

Excellent:
  • Plot quality is amazing, especially halftoning/shading
  • Color is amazing in its quality
  • The speed is absolutely incredible
  • It is great to be able to have 6 rolls loaded at a time
  • Love being able to continue plotting even when changing ink, although we haven't needed to do this yet and probably won't anytime soon.

Good:
  • The machine is great, very sturdy and well built. Just the feel of the machine is much better than any KIP
  • Completely silent when in standby
  • The pagewide software is overall very well written and much less buggy than the KIP Print or Request software and even checks to make sure your plots will plot correctly with your settings and won't cut something off, etc.

Ok:
  • The Pagewide software is well designed, but lacks unified accounting, so you have to work around it by naming jobs sent to the plotter with no way to force the user to select.

Bad:
  • Machine is quite loud when it is actually plotting and is in a small room.

Ugly:
  • The licensing setup for the Pagewide software is cumbersome at best and cannot be install on a server that is running on VMWare.

Really, our only major complaint about the machine itself is that the it is loud when actually plotting, but it goes to virtually silent as soon as it stops and completely silent shortly after that.

As for the software, it does need some work for accounting.

Paper cost:
The same ($0.0150/Sq. Ft.) since they both use the same kind of paper, although you can reduce ink costs by using HP paper, we are still pricing out the difference.

Maintenance cost (approximate based on life expectancy of printheads, etc.):
$0.0020/Sq. Ft. (The KIP 9900 has an estimated cost of $0.0130 based on similar criteria)

Ink cost:
$0.005/Sq. Ft. (KIP 9900 Toner is $0.009/Sq. Ft. for the exact same prints, except that was B&W only)

The ink costs are based off of an actual set of prints that was sent to both for testing purposes and exact costs are from the accounting software. Although, I am taking the word of a dealer (not the one that sold us the HP, but one that wanted to sell us the KIP 9900) on the KIP 9900 costs for these plots.

Additionally, all ink costs are assuming that I would be paying full price for the ink without negotiating a better price. The KIP 9900 cost was based off the dealer's cost for the toner, not what we actually would have had to pay with their markup, so the KIP cost could even be slightly higher than that and the HP cost may be slightly lower.

So overall, factoring in the machine cost, along with the life expectancy of the plotters, the maintenance and ink/toner costs, we end up with an average cost of:
  • KIP 9900 - $0.0674/Sq. Ft.
  • HP Pagewide 8000 - $0.0507/Sq. Ft.

If you do a modest 25,000 Sq. Ft./month, you are looking at the HP being about $400 cheaper per month than the KIP 9900. And considering that KIP has discontinued the 9900, this isn't necessarily a great comparison anymore, it's just the closest we could come when we started looking to replace the KIP 8000.[/list]

Thanks Chris for posting this. It mirrors my feelings exactly. This is very bad news for KIP.
As I said before, toner is dead.

cmwade77
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I really do think Toner is dead and really, it has HP behind it, who is no slouch when it comes to quality machines.

And considering KIP doesn't have anything that comes anywhere close to matching this, especially with the 9900 being discontinued.

Tinyminime
medical school grad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Hello All Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys

No one has mentioned the price! how much is the machine?
Also i know all about ink products... How much is used for cleaning and maintenance daily. I can tell you this is the true cost of running a ink machine. I have asked these questions from HP and after 4 months still no answer!

I hope all are well! all the best for 2016

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here in the States all the supplies are free............Just kidding. The XL8000 with 4 rolls hovers around 60k USD. Software and firmware are still kind of wonky.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

cmwade77
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello All Reply with quote Back to top

Tinyminime wrote:
Hi guys

No one has mentioned the price! how much is the machine?
Also i know all about ink products... How much is used for cleaning and maintenance daily. I can tell you this is the true cost of running a ink machine. I have asked these questions from HP and after 4 months still no answer!

I hope all are well! all the best for 2016

As I said, I can't post exact price, but the price is indeed very close to a comparably equipped KIP 9900.

As for supplies and maintenance, the costs are a bit lower than the KIP 9900.

As I said in my post above, factoring in machine cost, life expectancy, maintenance and consumables cost, the cost per Sq. Ft. averages out to:
KIP 9900 - $0.0674/Sq. Ft.
HP Pagewide 8000 - $0.0507/Sq. Ft.

This shows that this system is indeed substantially less expensive.

Nathan_Snapper
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So What is the MSRP on the machine itself? Or did i miss that?

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mark said the XL8000 4 Roll was around $60,000. Not sure if that's MSRP or retail.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> General HP Pagewide Info All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: