Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

940 questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP Color 80 Printer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: 940 questions Reply with quote Back to top

One of our print shops got a 940 recently. As I expected the color registration is not perfect, it is no inkjet. I am happy with it, but being a tech it all runs down hill and I am at the bottom. Both the owner and the production manager have unrealistic expectations. They are a bit schizophrenic, one day it is great, the next it looks terrible. The two drive me nuts!

It does seem to vary in color registration day to day and is never as tight as I would like.

Anyone have experience on a 940 or a C7800 who can tell me how much the registration will vary and how often I can expect to be running calibrations?

Any opinions at all on the machine also appreciated.

Scott

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Scott, maybe this one should be called in to KIP support. Being a new product maybe there's a fix on the way.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I already have a call into them. Waiting on a reply. Just thought I would get real world opinions of the printers ability to hold color registration.

And I needed to complain about management. One day he is telling me it's not good enough, and I am telling him it works like it should. Then I start trying to get Kip to work with me to get the registration closer and I am told I am being picky, he knew what the printer could do when he bought it.
Production manager tells me if it can't be better than it is, it's a POS and needs returned. Problem with that is the prints look great. Not an inkjet, but everyone in the shop and all the customers think they are great.

Just frustrated, not with the machine but the weird people I work with.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Does KIP publish image specs? You could always hand the production manager a screwdriver and let him show you how to bring it up to "spec". If he wants perfect perhaps he should write out a check to Heidelberg.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That is what my question to Kip is, what is the spec. It looks good to me. And yes, if he wants perfection he can fix it himself. Or buy the damm Heidelberg!
And I will tell him what to do with that screwdriver while he watches his new Heidelberg run!
See, I knew I would feel better!

TXReproShop
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering how it was going to work out when 4 toner machines were going to be compared to multi-color inkjets. I am sure everyone has those certain customers that are never happy, but my fear is it is not going to be easy with the new color machines that are toner based.

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't want to turn anyone off the 940. It is a great machine. It does what it is supposed to do and does it well. I have taken samples from the 940 around and everyone likes them.
I have not seen the high speed inkjets in person so I can't compare. From the videos I have seen and conversations I have had they come with their own set of problems.

Our production manager is just a neurotic perfectionist and really didn't want the printer to begin with. Anything he can find to complain about he will.
Just trying to do the impossible for the ungrateful.

If you are looking into color, be sure to look at either the 940 or the 800 series. I especially like the 800 series.

Scott

TXReproShop
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was not knocking on the equipment, it is how picky the people are going to be.

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. I just didn't want anyone to think I was saying the machine was a bad machine.
I was more talking bad about my co-workers. The machine is fine, the people who run it are a bit off.

You are right though, that is part of the problem. People want inkjet quality from a toner machine and they just aren't going to get it. Even with our small format toner Xerox the difference is noticeable compared to the inkjets.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You know what I find more often then none. It is our sales guys that need to give them the reality of the machine. Sometimes they don't really know the real world outcome or sometimes make promises they can't keep. I don't want to say that they would "lie" to make a sale but the customer should've been made aware that it isn't an ink printer. In the end, it ends up being us techs that gets the short end of the stick, trying to make the customer happy or dealing with a pissed off customer because their high expectations weren't met.

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, sales sells them one thing and they soon discover it isn't exactly what they get. Sales me have definitely been doing that to me for years!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP Color 80 Printer All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: