Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

7170 IPS boot failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 7170 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
copyman96
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: 7170 IPS boot failure Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering if anyone might know the specifications for the hard drive in the Windows 7 version of the IPS.

In a couple of days I have to drive a long way to a machine showing a boot failure and I would like to have a hard drive with me.

I couldn't find any information in the service manual or parts list.

Must be a secret.

Thanks for any help you can give.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not that it will help your drive, but the 7170 IPS is warrantied for 39 months. If it's not just a simple software fix I return them and get a new one. Let KIP figure out what's wrong with it.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What a hardass........
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

copyman96
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the replies.

I will take all of your recommendations under advisement.

Of course I would still like to have the drive with me when I go. I guess I am going to have to break down and call KIP.

Thanks again.

caltech
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The KIP IPS uses standard 3.5" Hard Drives. If it's a newer machine it uses a SATA, the old ones use IDE/PATA. We order Seagate drives of 320 gig or smaller from a distributor.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Last 7100 I worked on had an IPS with a SSD, I would think the 7170 is equipped the same way.....

Augiedoggy
resident

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

likely unrelated but hopefully useful to some,
I have had a couple kip 7100 family ips controllers become unstable and found twice now the problem is the same 1000uf capacitor on the motherboard than is failing... My guess is its a weakness in the design and replacing the board instead of the cap with a better quality one will just prolong the issue from returning for a while..
You can clearly see the top is bloated and it leaks the brown crusty liquid out of the top.
symptoms were the machine not always waking up and sometimes not coming up on reboot... also the display had some noise on one of them.

I tried a SSD in a kip 7700 shortly before kip started using them after a hard drive failed on it within the first couple months after installation When I called kip the guy I spoke to gave me no impression they were under warranty.. When I told him I used a SSD and it booted extremely fast and worked great he went on to tell me SS drives were not supported for them and ironically the very next kip I put in had one. Odd that the guy was so concerned I used one. I noticed the later sata drive units had the hard drives mounted the correct way for long bearing life vs the older ones that had them mounted on their side. Hopefully this was an effort to reduce failures.

I have replaced more kip drives in the last 5 years than the entire 19 years I have been servicing digital xerox units and my xeroxs units out number the kips like 10 to 1... I dont know what kip was paying for those drives but they had /have a very high failure rate. not as bad as thier sensors in recent machines though ... Which I havent had to replace in a good month or two (Knock on wood.)

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great feedback, thanx.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 7170 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: