Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Kip new color model
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> General KIP Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
copyman
intern

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Kip new color model Reply with quote Back to top

My friend texted me from Kip 800 color series school. He said to make sure I buy the "Auto Voltage Regulator" when I order a Kip 860. He said instructor claims machine will have a lot of issues without it. The machine needs to run at consistent 230vac. I didn't have a problem ordering it until I saw the dealer price is around $700 !!!

Anyone ever hear of needing this Auto Voltage Regulator
on the new color model or any of the other Kip machines? I have always used the $100 surge / noise filter on copiers and Kip B&W models. Hopefully I can use one of this type surge protectors .

Thanks for any info.

GR81
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We have all our 220v machines on voltage regulators.
$250 at Granger.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

GR81 do you have a part # or a brand name for what you are using? I'm interested in a cheaper alternative then the ones KIP says to use.

Thanks

copyman
intern

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: part# Reply with quote Back to top

I would also like the Granger part # for the voltage regulator. Thanks

GR81
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here is what we use. Keeps it between 220 and 230 every time.
https://www.grainger.com/product/SQUARE-D-500VA-Buck-Boost-Transformer-1H275

copyman
intern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

does this have to be hard wired into wall outlet? Does the copier plug into this? The picture does not show anything. Thanks again

GR81
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No, you have to wire it.
You provide your own outlet and inlet.($10.00 at Home Depot).
Once you do one it is pretty easy after that.

copyman
intern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the information

copyman
intern

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

One more thing, looking at the installation checklist for new color model 860, it shows needed voltage 220-240vac, and then has " 208V will not work". What are they talking about with the 208V ? If I measure the wall outlet I'm plugging this new Kip into it is a steady 240V. I have a good meter and it may drop to 239V just for a sec.

Hate to keep beating a dead horse but I don't understand, if you are in a new building with steady volts why you can't use a good copier surge suppressor / noise filter. The cost is around $100-150.

Techsense
medical school senior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Copyman,

The print quality on any Electrostatic printer is directly related to the consistency of the power supply!

If you feel confident that the power supply at your customer location is always going to have a reliable 240 supply then you don't have any need.

If there are issues with the power supply down the road that then require the AVR, are you going to eat the cost? It is a lot easier to include it at the point of sale/installation.

IMO!

GR81
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When dealing with 220-240 voltage we have seen it run all over the board.
It is not uncommon to see 205-112.
If you have 240 coming out of the wall your good to go, but keep an eye on it as other 220 lines are adding in the building it could drop.
If the voltage drops below 208 you will blow out a couple of boards in the machine. We have had this happen.

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

GR81 wrote:
Here is what we use. Keeps it between 220 and 230 every time.
https://www.grainger.com/product/SQUARE-D-500VA-Buck-Boost-Transformer-1H275

The item suggested from Grainger is not a Voltage Regulator. This is a Buck/Booster.

It will either increase or decrease voltage but it does not regulate voltage.

If you have a customer with power fluctuations this will not help you. In fact this could cause more damage.

The Voltage Regulator from KIP is okay. We have used it at a couple sites.

But we prefer using TSi Powers Voltage Regulators. They are semi-custom and are matched to your customers power and machine requirements.

Everytime we have used a TSi Power Voltage Regulator we have had ZERO issues and the machines just work better and we have less service calls for the life of the machine.

Also TSi will readjust your Voltage Regulator if you ever want to use it with a different machine or different facility.

The owners name at TSi Power is Nam Paik. Great people over there. http://www.tsipower.com/products

copyman
intern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks gjames. I was confused by that Grainger part that was posted here. It didn't look like what was needed.

I will look into the regulator you suggested. Can you provide name or part# of the one to use with 240v ?

Thanks again

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

copyman wrote:
Thanks gjames. I was confused by that Grainger part that was posted here. It didn't look like what was needed.

I will look into the regulator you suggested. Can you provide name or part# of the one to use with 240v ?

Thanks again

If you are ordering one from KIP you just need to contact them and tell them what machine you are using it with.

If you are ordering from TSi Power then you need to contact TSi Power and give them the specifications of the machine and you will need a meter reading from the outlet at the customers site.

According to the Installation Requirements for the 800 Series from KIP here are the machine specifications. U.S.A. / Europe 220 to 240V (+6% to -10%), 20A, 50/60Hz : Plug Type NEMA6-20

Contact information for Nam Paik at TSi Power:

email: [email protected]
phone: +1 (715) 623-0636
tollfree: 800-874-3160

They will install the correct plugs on their Voltage Regulator so all you have to do is plug it in.

They will take your meter readings from the customers wall voltage and then will match this with the correct output you require for the machine and that's it.

Also if you are reselling to your customer I believe they can sell you the unit at a discount so you can make a few bucks on the sale. Just tell them you are a dealer and are reselling to your customer.

I have no association with TSi Power other than I use their products. They are well known in the power industry as they supply most of the power products for cell towers worldwide.

They use to sell a killer surge suppression unit you hardware into your mains box to give your entire house transient surge suppression. I installed one on my house.

GR81
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We have 30 machines in the field on the Grainger buck booster all with no issues, some for over 5 years. We have had 2 KIP voltage regulators go out one took out a couple of boards on a C7800.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> General KIP Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: