Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Advice requested. Keep our 3000 1051 or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geneg981
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Advice requested. Keep our 3000 1051 or not? Reply with quote Back to top

We got this KIP 3000 back in 2008. The meter shows 102727. So I guess we are very low volume. When we do print its like a 200+ page job. The original reason for this machine was convenience. We do have the issue now where printing gets lighter (first page is ok, by page 30 its lighter).
Anyway, our current lease is up in March 2016. Our service provider apparently has dumped KIP and moved to HP. Last year they tried to get us into another, better KIP. Now, its HP.
So if we keep this unit, we need to find someone to service and repair it. We are in Northern California, North bay area, Sonoma county (50 miles north of San Francisco)
The things we wish this unit did are, color scanning, hold more sheets in the output (we get a mess if someone forgets to empty it around 40 sheets), color printing would be nice (not needed, just nice), printing any size but 24"x36" is a nightmare (we only purchase 36" rolls, and I only print 24"x36").
At the end of the lease, we can buy the machine for about $3000. We have about $3000 left on the lease. Thanks for any help or advice.
Software Version 7.2.102
Firmware Version K105SC 2.00
Printer EPROM Q105X14B
IPS Number 2JASYD3P96HDH4
Machine Serial Number 10515392
IF Board#: 6PN-12270
Restore Image Version: PPR-IPS-XPe-SP3-7.2.348-01
Hardware ID: 659247D6F9B1
MSFC: Ver. 84.3.15

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll give you my honest opinion and I hope that your dealer isn't on this website, but then again if they dropped KIP, most likely they aren't.

First off, it looks like your KIP needs some Preventative Maintenance, which your service provider probably won't do if they are trying to get you into a new HP machine. I think it' s wrong that they dumped KIP and then leave their KIP accounts hi and dry. Did they get rid of their KIP tech, highly unlikely? If you have a service contract, they should honor it til the end of it. Or I'm sure someone on here is located near you.

Sadly you still owe $3000 on your lease and then you have the option to buy the printer for another $3000? We have companies trading up for newer machines and we are selling their old KIP3000 for a third of what you owe. We have other companies, just giving them back to us in hopes for a good faith deal in future purchases. BUT, if you aren't in the position to purchase a new machine, the KIP3000s can still run beautiful with proper maintenance.

As for the HP, the comparable models would be the 2500/3500 series, they are a color printer with scanner for scanning/copying. My only gripe wtih these models that half of mine in the field have some sort of mechanical, electrical or software (firmware) issues and all of them are under 1 year old. I'm not trying to sway you in any way but I would go with a KIP7170 if you are in the market for a new printer at the end of your lease. That's just my opinion. But definitely do your homework before purchasing a new printer.

geneg981
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am almost certain our service provider is not on here.
IF we do decide to have a large format printer/plotter, it will not be with this company. So I do need help finding a service provider near San Francisco and/or Sacramento.
Maybe we do not need a new machine. I wonder if a used/refurbished machine would work for us?

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can post in the "KIP Help Wanted" section of this forum to see if anyone is in your area.

New/used? That's all on you. Obviously new is better but you can get a good used machine also. If you are looking at buying used, I would recommend buying from a company that services that machine, (sometimes companies trade in perfectly good machines to upgrade and the service company may sell it as used). They'll usually guaranty the printer will work. If you buy from a reseller (someone who just buys and resells machines), make sure they back/guaranty their product and I would probably never buy an "as is" product. (Sorry, to the resellers on this forum, honesty is key...lol)

But, good luck, I hope you find a tech near you..

GR81
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you call KIP they will set you up with a local service provider.
1-800-252-6793

GR81
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Your lowest cost option would be to keep the KIP 3000, purchase the color scan code. then pick up a low cost inkjet like a Canon 800.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: