Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Toner Dusting on LED Printhead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 7970 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caltech
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Toner Dusting on LED Printhead Reply with quote Back to top

We have a high volume customer running about 60K per month on a new 7970. We have to go there at least every 2 weeks just to clean toner from the LED Printhead. We have gone through the procedure to check the copper contacts on the printhead as per Tip #K137-006. I believe that since there is no cover over the top of the Developer roller there is too much toner dusting. Has anyone run into this? I’m thinking of coming up with some kind of cover.

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes we experience this as well.

All KIP machines dust. The newer machines dust more because I believe the toner is a finer grind in order to accommodate the higher DPI.

We have experimented with various dust covers mostly on the 9900 and it helps.

On the 7970 I supply our customer with a toner rag and only leave in a couple screws on the cover and have shown them now to remove and wipe the head.

The way we explained it to our customer is we are willing to come out and clean it for you however if you wish to be up and running immediately you are welcome to wipe the head.

Playing with the voltages in theory would limit dusting but it will cause print quality issues.

The real issue I believe is the air flow inside the machine. This doesn't appear to have changed since the 7000 and even it would do this to the print head it just took longer.

I would think a shield along the print head to block the build up on the print head might work. This shield would then collect that toner instead of the print-head.

You would have to experiment to make sure this shield wouldn't cause voltage issues inside the machine.

Good luck! And if you find a decent way to mitigate this let us all know. Thanks.

TXReproShop
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone come up with any other ideas or solutions? Running 3 7970's in a production environment and I am cleaning the printheads an average of twice a week.

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nope. People have been trying though. Nothing seems to do it. Using a strip of Mylar some have said helped but not by much. Just above where the cleaning roller is on the drum. They sick mylar to the frame of the Dev/Drum unit to cover the cleaning roller.

This toner is fine and just blows through the machine.

KIP should have found a way to make an LED wiper like they did on the 8000's.

Instead the TECH becomes the LED wiper.

All I can recommend is that you experiment. Sad

bigal
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Led print head dirty...AGAIN! Reply with quote Back to top

Yes the dirty print head is a real pain!
Seems like every 15k feet or so its dirty again!
Rebuilt the developer unit as print quality at 250k was getting bad hoping to help with print head dusting but no difference!
Wish kip would come out with a fix.
This is bad press for the new 7970K!
Maybe the new one coming out will be better????
With Pagewide in the market KIP needs to be on top of these toner related issues!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 7970 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: