Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

New K Software
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP software info.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterBlaster
intern

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: New K Software Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone here received a printer with the K software?

If so, how is it running?

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have 2 so far. One at a customers (Print Shop) and a demo machine I bought.

I have taken the KIP online training and did attend the 2 day class for the software. I highly recommend the class. The software is completely redesigned from the ground up. For the most part it's learning how to navigate around and how to do things that have been done a certain way for 20 years. Mainly Unattend is gone. Finding what you're looking for is what I spend most of the time doing. Remembering the new passwords has also been a challenge. That's stupid but the old KIP passwords where easy to remember.

KIP Print Pro:
My customer seems to like over Request. The were using Plot Works. I think it's okay. There are a few things like creating custom paper sizes I wish were a few steps shorter. But it nice that you can tile out the windows. There are 3 main windows in Print Pro. The job submission, Printer Status, and Job Que which you can move out of Print Pro so if you have a 2nd monitor attached you can see live time viewing of what's going on which is nice if your sending a ton of jobs. Connecting the Print Pro software to the machine is good. Print Que shows you what the job is doing instead of just saying processing.

KIP TouchScreen Software:
Service Software I like much better. I think they have some good improvements over the previous version. They have broken down the 2 configuration areas into tiles. Seems a bit busy to me.

SetUp:
All I can say is it sucks right now. Machines are shipping and the first thing you have to do is upgrade all the software and firmware. The setup Utility that used to run is gone and you have to now go to Service Area to set it all up manually. Nice thing though is it highlights in Red what you need to fix.

The one at the customers site has had a few software errors. It had a job get stuck in the print que and it took me about 10 minutes to remember how to dump the print que since you cant shut down Unattend and remove the job in the Monpath1 folder anymore. They actually have a button to do everything for you since it requires shutting down Windows Services etc.

Because it's new and totally different I will say I'm 50-50 with the software. I think that will improve over time once I'm more used to it. As I was told. You can complain about it, but it is what it is...

MasterBlaster
intern

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

CHILLIN wrote:
I have 2 so far. One at a customers (Print Shop) and a demo machine I bought.

I have taken the KIP online training and did attend the 2 day class for the software. I highly recommend the class. The software is completely redesigned from the ground up. For the most part it's learning how to navigate around and how to do things that have been done a certain way for 20 years. Mainly Unattend is gone. Finding what you're looking for is what I spend most of the time doing. Remembering the new passwords has also been a challenge. That's stupid but the old KIP passwords where easy to remember.

KIP Print Pro:
My customer seems to like over Request. The were using Plot Works. I think it's okay. There are a few things like creating custom paper sizes I wish were a few steps shorter. But it nice that you can tile out the windows. There are 3 main windows in Print Pro. The job submission, Printer Status, and Job Que which you can move out of Print Pro so if you have a 2nd monitor attached you can see live time viewing of what's going on which is nice if your sending a ton of jobs. Connecting the Print Pro software to the machine is good. Print Que shows you what the job is doing instead of just saying processing.

KIP TouchScreen Software:
Service Software I like much better. I think they have some good improvements over the previous version. They have broken down the 2 configuration areas into tiles. Seems a bit busy to me.

SetUp:
All I can say is it sucks right now. Machines are shipping and the first thing you have to do is upgrade all the software and firmware. The setup Utility that used to run is gone and you have to now go to Service Area to set it all up manually. Nice thing though is it highlights in Red what you need to fix.

The one at the customers site has had a few software errors. It had a job get stuck in the print que and it took me about 10 minutes to remember how to dump the print que since you cant shut down Unattend and remove the job in the Monpath1 folder anymore. They actually have a button to do everything for you since it requires shutting down Windows Services etc.

Because it's new and totally different I will say I'm 50-50 with the software. I think that will improve over time once I'm more used to it. As I was told. You can complain about it, but it is what it is...

Thanks for the info, so the customer doesn't mind that they have to use two different programs to submit drawings to their different Kip's or does the new software print to the older printers?

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The new KIP Print Pro will only print to a new SystemK machine. I have not tried new windows driver to old printer yet. The customer that I installed the New SystemK machine at pulled their older machine and are not printing to it at this time.

Jay
intern

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The new K software does not work with older units. I tried

Jay
intern

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We set one up today and it sucked too

Jay
intern

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the new windows driver will not communicate with the printer. sorry should have been one post

MasterBlaster
intern

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think Kip is out of their mind to produce a product that will not work with any of the printers they have been selling for nearly two decades.

From what I have seen it seems the wrong people are making the decisions at Kip.

How in the world are they going to support two completely different software platforms?

How is the average user going to deal with using multiple programs to print an image to different Kip printers?

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MasterBlaster wrote:

How in the world are they going to support two completely different software platforms?

They aren't....and I agree fully...

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am pretty sure the boys at KIP were behind that New COKE fiasco also. I am totally with you Master. I see an an iceberg in thier future.
Wish I could say I cared, but since I am now semi retired, I really don't. Let's go fishing.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

<but since I am now semi retired>

Don't you have to work before you can retire.......
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Such a bad idea and support is a world away.....makes ZERO sense to me, but....

Why not make sure it is backwards compatible? It definitely could have been done. Gradually phase out the old 'PowerPrint' Wink software and THEN make it solely K software.....

What do I know....???

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think the ideas behind most of the changes of the System K software are actually for the better in the long run. I think once again the people in charge of software pushed their ideas in front of real world scenarios too fast.

Getting rid of the IF card and go to USB 3 was good. I think these changes are to speed up the print submittal speed for the new color machines coming. The idea behind the software to be able to install it off the printers, then when you upgrade the printer software and it will update the workstation software idea is not a bad idea for a one machine installation. All good except you still have to manually update the Windows driver and AutoCad drivers. Fail.

While I understand the reasons I was told as to why the software was changed. "The old software was originally a DOS based program that things just kept getting added to and changed to work with different OS, programs like Unattend were doing to many functions."

Not being a software "expert", it seems The SystemK software seems overly tied to the accounting software which is nice, but what actual percentage of customer actually use this? For my company less than 1%. How many customers do I have with multiple KIP machines? 10-20%. Accounting tracking may increase when I have more color machines in the field and customers want to know what the prints cost. Also how does the SystemK software if able to connect to the older machines do an auto update of the workstation software if it's connected to PowerPrint Software? SystemK should have been made to be able to manually install and not auto update and work with PowerPrint. Fail.

Issue I'm currently trying to solve. Current printshop customer has an 8000 with a 2200 scanner, an 8000 printer, and a 7900 with a 2300 scanner. Customer is looking at replacing the 8000/2200 with a 9900/2300 setup (9900 still non SystemK) and also add a 940 (SystemK) into the mix. It's been a nightmare trying to figure out how to explain to them that they will have to use these programs to print to those machines and this program to print to that machine etc.

SystemK not being backwards compatible was a major fail.

Sorry for the long post.

xerox_7
resident

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Print Pro - Net, the web based app will print to a new K machine from Win XP. This will replace the need for request to connect to the "K" series machine. I am having trouble, though with the windows driver, getting the printing preferences screen to stay open on WIN XP machines so I can change paper sizes. Page Setup option using Reader X is a work around to set the paper size.

awtech
medical school grad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

How can I retrieve local scans?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP software info. All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: