Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

spots all over prints
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 7770 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: spots all over prints Reply with quote Back to top

I have a 7700 that is in a factory setting. Almost, once a month I have to go clean the drum with D-ink because there are tiny toner spots all over the drum, literally 100s of spots that make the image unreadable. This is the only printer that does this and the only one in a factory setting.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Chemicals, temperature, dirt in the air. Or you could ask them to move it in to a less hostile environment.....
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No chance of them relocating it and probably no chance of convincing them that it could be chemicals, temp or dirt in the air. I'm having one of my guys go out there on Monday. I'm going to have him bring a hygrometer to check the humidity.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe have him take a 12 pack also.....
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: spots all over prints Reply with quote Back to top

dlee wrote:
I have a 7700 that is in a factory setting. Almost, once a month I have to go clean the drum with D-ink because there are tiny toner spots all over the drum, literally 100s of spots that make the image unreadable. This is the only printer that does this and the only one in a factory setting.

Unfortunately this is a common tale for the new 7000 series plotters.

Dink on the drum is not recommended as the coatings on the new machines drums break down too quickly.

If Water won't clean it try Denatured Alcohol but I wouldn't use anything more powerful if you can help it. Also get yourself some Disposable Paper Microfiber clothes they won't scratch the drum.

And it's also possible the Transfer Corona wire height isn't adjusted properly. There was a tech bulletin updating the heights for the service manual and even these "updated" heights I have found don't work for all machines. You will have adjust and test. Use a test image with some solids in it that go across the entire page and you want the darkest image you can achieve by changing only the height. Once optimal it will pull more of the toner off the drum during printing thereby reducing residual left on the drum.

Once you have done this you can try playing around with the Bias and Transfer voltages. Just make sure you keep a backup or reference of your original settings so you can go back if you need to.

Personally I don't think KIP did enough testing with these machines and I'm not sure they care.

The toners are much finer now due to the DPI numbers KIP claims their machines can now print to.

If someone could figure out how to go back to the larger particle toner these issues wouldn't be so bad.

And don't rule out the Cleaning Roller as part of the cause. These can cause bad background.

Someone mentioned on a 9900 they accidentally left out the cleaning roller and the prints looked amazing. He did mention that occasionally on long prints he saw faint repeat image.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, we can eliminate the drum as the issue. I installed a brand new OEM drum a couple weeks ago and now it has all the toner spots on it too. Here is a pic of how the toner looks on the drum:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l153/DouaPnP/IMG_20150511_103457_798_zpsuipaqr5u.jpg

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What's the meter reading on the machine?
And have you tried replacing the developer roller?

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Only 228,119 SF and was installed just a couple years ago. In trying to diagnose this issue, we've rebuilt the dev. unit and checked all of the rollers, all the filters and fans on the printer, all voltages are in spec.

Last edited by dlee on Fri May 29, 2015 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dlee wrote:
Well, we can eliminate the drum as the issue. I installed a brand new OEM drum a couple weeks ago and now it has all the toner spots on it too. Here is a pic of how the toner looks on the drum:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l153/DouaPnP/IMG_20150511_103457_798_zpsuipaqr5u.jpg

You will need to verify all your settings for Bias, Cleaning Roller, Corona Charges, etc.

If you haven't already you need to look at the following bulletins from KIP:
TB-K137-7770-011 New Default Printer Density Values
TB-K137-7770-006 Error Correction in Service Manual

Some have reported issues with the Printhead focus.

Also check your Ozone Filters and either clean them or yank them out.

You may also have to verify that the Regulation Roller in the Developer is cleaning properly and that the pressure is set properly on the Developer.

Couldn't hurt to verify if your using the latest Firmware also. Nothing in the documentation reports correcting an issue like this but that doesn't mean it won't. KIP Japan has been known for leaving out details to save face.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is the original (older) KIP7700, not the 7770. I don't know if these TBs would apply, but I would like to see what the current settings on this printer is as compared to the "new settings".

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dlee wrote:
This is the original (older) KIP7700, not the 7770. I don't know if these TBs would apply, but I would like to see what the current settings on this printer is as compared to the "new settings".

Could be worth a look.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I cant tell from the picture. Are the toner spots more near the middle of the drum over near the sides?

I have seen developer units when not pressurized correctly do this.
I have also seen developer rollers do this as well. Even after cleaning. I ended up having to replace the dev. roller.

bigal
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Drum Spots Reply with quote Back to top

I have seen this caused by excessive paper dust.
Maybe when it was spooled and slit down from master mill roll. poor quality control at your paper converter??

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here's how the spots look like on a test print. Someone told me it might be the glue from the stickers on the paper roll, but I think it might be more than that. It could be paper dust but I've never seen it like that.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l153/DouaPnP/Temp00006_zpsgflhyogp.jpg

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Try pulling out the developer unit and set it on a table.
Try turning it with the rotation tool. Use a flashlight and look at the developer roller as you turn it. Sometimes you can see the extra toner on the developer roller.
I think if you see this then the regulation roller is allowing too much toner to be on the developer roller. Some it this extra toner is getting transferred to the paper and the rest that can be transferred to the paper is left on the drum.

I have even seen this if you lay the developer unit on a white piece of paper. When turning the developer roller specs of toner will actually fly off the roller onto the paper if you turn it fast enough.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 7770 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: