Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

C7800, cyan looks like it is starving for toner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP Color 80 Printer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjohnson
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: C7800, cyan looks like it is starving for toner Reply with quote Back to top

Just checking to see if anyone has had this issue and maybe save me some time troubleshooting. When running a D sized print with heavy toner usage, such as a photo, the first 6 inches or so looks normal, then it appears like it is starving for cyan toner and the image gets streaky and magenta becomes the dominant color, it gets worse the further down the page you get.
Initially I thought I had a glazed DV roller, and it was, but I installed a new one, new drum unit and it didn't change much. This machine has 240k color clicks, 700k total clicks. I can run every internal test print and the cyan looks perfect. The DV roller has a uniform coating of toner on it, all bias contacts on the DV have been cleaned and re-greased. I have not yet put a meter to measure bias voltages, but in the HV adjustments, the cyan numbers look similar to the other colors.

tech2tech
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

try printing a long cyan box so you can crash the machine and see what is on the drum. If the drum looks good then take out the transfer roller and apply some conductive grease to the roller nipple. If the transfer rollers have a "dry connection" you can have some odd printing issues. But before starting this confirm that the image on the drum is good.

tjohnson
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for that suggestion, I started to work on this machine this morning, planned to read some voltages, did a "before" test print and it looked great, I can't get it to show the problem it had last week now. I'm sure it will crop up again and I will check those transfer rollers as I've never had to work on that area before.

p51d007
medical school grad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had a bad transfer belt roller on magenta that was doing something similar on long runs of banner paper. I swapped the roller with the cyan color and the problem followed the roller. Wouldn't do it on plain, but only on banner.

tjohnson
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks P51, I was thinking it may be transfer roller related, as I did end up swapping the magenta and cyan developer units to see if the problem moved to magenta and it did, but once I put the machine back together the problem was gone the next morning. I will swap those rollers if the problem comes back.

tech2tech
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When you grease the transfer roller with conductive grease, don't over do it. Too much will also cause issues.

Jay
intern

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had this problem on our 7800. My problem ended up being the little plastic pads under the dev unit shifted

tjohnson
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had forgotten to post what was happening on this machine. It definitely was transfer roller related, cleaning and greasing that roller was the fix.

p51d007
medical school grad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cool! Glad you got it resolved.
I have a problem convincing a lot of my small format techs to check the conductive grease after a TON of copies as the electrical conductivity will degrade over time, and it becomes more of an insulator, than a conductor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP Color 80 Printer All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: