Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

J-0203 or J-0210 after cutting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 7170 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The voltage you're reading, 1.437vdc, is that the high or low reading? If it's the high, sensor blocked, then there may be more than the sensor at fault. Did you check at the PCB or at the sensor? It would be interesting to know what another printer reads, when it's running without problems.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

Augiedoggy
resident

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mark in vegas wrote:
The voltage you're reading, 1.437vdc, is that the high or low reading? If it's the high, sensor blocked, then there may be more than the sensor at fault. Did you check at the PCB or at the sensor? It would be interesting to know what another printer reads, when it's running without problems.
It made no difference with the sensor blocked or not but all error pointed to that sensor and replacing it corrected the issue... that is for 2 months until a different sensor in the machine also failed...
I wouldnt be surprised it the voltage to all the sensors is weak in this machine and running on the ragged edge of functionality until the sensor eventually isnt sensitive enough to reliably run on the weak voltage anymore... Something I will dig further into on my next call there.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You could monitor the DC power supply, 5 vdc output, while the printer is running. It appears that pin 1 on the sensors is the 5 vdc input and pins 2 and 3 are signal and ground. I think I would use the ground at the sensor to check operation.

Augiedoggy
resident

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had another sensor fail on a different 7170 today this time it was j1007 errors. Anyway I discovered that there is only 4.90v going to all the sensors on this unit...I'm not sure if this is enough of a drop to cause an issue... there was a full 5.0v output on the DC power supply however I did not look at the schematics yet to determine if thats in fact where the sensor voltage comes from before being routed through another board.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

+ or minus .1vdc sounds close enough, the L under 1.4vdc is more important I would think. The 5vdc is run throughout the printer, thru junction blocks and PCB's so finding the load that pulling the 5vdc down would be a PIA. I'm guessing the tolerance for voltage outputs is somewhere in the service manual, believe I'll hunt it down.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There doesn't appear to be any information regarding the low voltage tolerances. AC in to the printer has a +- of 10% so that may play in to it but the DC voltages should be regulated.

Augiedoggy
resident

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mark in vegas wrote:
There doesn't appear to be any information regarding the low voltage tolerances. AC in to the printer has a +- of 10% so that may play in to it but the DC voltages should be regulated.
Well I had another tech check voltages on another 7170 that had a repeat sensor failure of the same sensor in 3 months and he confirmed he is seeing a .10 voltage drop on that machine as well.
I dont know what the issue is but replacing the sensors over and over again only corrects it for a couple months and then they fail again...
I have 5 1/2- 6 more hours of driving to do again today to replace a 3 month old $4.65 sensor.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

KIP has discontinued the sensor giveaway for TB-K134-014. I realize that the last sentence in the bulletin mentions this but some of us didn't read that far down(me).

Augiedoggy
resident

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had to go back to that customer and replace yet another sensor last month. The customer is looking to replace the 7170 at this point. I am actually almost out of the 40 or so sensors they "gave" me..

slyman
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Augiedoggy wrote:
I had to go back to that customer and replace yet another sensor last month. The customer is looking to replace the 7170 at this point. I am actually almost out of the 40 or so sensors they "gave" me..

Next time, try to cut all the tie-rap that you can cause yes the sensors were bad but since 2-3 years, they are better and working fine. you got probably another kind of problem like bad voltage or signal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 7170 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: