Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

SSD Dr in Kip 8000, is it possible?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 8000 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james
resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: SSD Dr in Kip 8000, is it possible? Reply with quote Back to top

By plugging the sata cable into sata 1 on the MOB I'm able to ghost the drive to 6.5.258 and it stays stable on the bench. When I install the controller on the 8000, it works and prints for about 15 min, then looses connectivity to the printer, print request and network VNC.

Reboot it and it works again for about 15 min. I've tried it on 2 different 8000's with the same results (both work fine with IDE hard drives).

I've been looking thru Unattend.ini for possible changes and bios settings for resolve, but haven't found anything yet to work.

Has anyone had success with installing SSD hard drives in the Kip 8000 intel xp controllers?

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: SSD Dr in Kip 8000, is it possible? Reply with quote Back to top

james wrote:
By plugging the sata cable into sata 1 on the MOB I'm able to ghost the drive to 6.5.258 and it stays stable on the bench. When I install the controller on the 8000, it works and prints for about 15 min, then looses connectivity to the printer, print request and network VNC.

Reboot it and it works again for about 15 min. I've tried it on 2 different 8000's with the same results (both work fine with IDE hard drives).

Is the controller working at this point?
Does the operating system function (meaning do you have mouse and keyboard control)?
Are there any errors or indicators on screen that you can tell us about?

james wrote:
I've been looking thru Unattend.ini for possible changes and bios settings for resolve, but haven't found anything yet to work.

If you ghosted it correctly and have it setup as an 8000, there won't be anything in the ini file that will help you here in regards to an SSD.

tech2tech
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It sounds like the network connection is going to sleep. check the properties and disable anything about turning off or saving energy.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't the default power standby 15 minutes?
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

james
resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

On the bench it is solid and for the first 15 min hooked to the printer, all systems work fine, VNC, mouse, keyboard, monitor and prints fine. Then connection to printer and VNC is gone. Turn controller off and on, then works again.

Checked power settings on the controller windows, no power saver. The printer doesn't go into power saver when it loses connection. When I click the power button in monitor settings it doesn't open for options.

The ssd is in the sata 1 slot and shows as C drive in explorer.

If it didn't lose it after the 15 or so min's, it would work great.

Seems to be something between the controller and printer that checks things every so often and maybe can't find the C drive???

james
resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I unchecked allowing windows to turn off the network card to save power in device manager and will try installing on a machine tomorrow. Maybe it was turning off the network card.
I'll post the results.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Have you looked at the BIOS settings? If you need the settings list drop me a PM with your email. Just curious, why put an SSD in the IPS?

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would still like to know if the controller is actually running/functioning after the 15 minutes have passed?

If so, after the 15 minutes, can you ping outbound from the controller and/or access other items on the network?

If the controller is working, I would go to a command prompt and type ipconfig and see what comes up.

james
resident

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's been working/printing for 2 hours now and still going. The machine could have gone into power saver before. I'll be putting it into power saver after a while to check it.

If it drops out again I'll hook up kb, mouse, monitor to it on the machine and check the contoller at next drop.

Mark, the ssd's are low priced and getting lower. I think the ssd will give a little speed boost. I watched it ripping files, seems faster. Plus no moving parts.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Guess I'm out of touch. I see 160gb HD's for $25-$35 all over the interweb

james
resident

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's working fine. In and out of power saver, no problem.
The machine is now in production.
Must have been turning off the network sleep in windows.

I paid $56 for 120gb ssd. Prices will only go down from here.
Thanks for all the support.
james

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be real interested in hearing back from you in a month.

james
resident

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll post if problem and update status in a month.
Keep it Printing!

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

james wrote:
It's working fine. In and out of power saver, no problem.
The machine is now in production.
Must have been turning off the network sleep in windows.

This makes zero sense. The "Allow this computer to turn off the device to save power" setting is not something that happens when the system is up and running. This is a setting at the hardware level in the NIC driver to tell the system (BIOS)/OS (Windows XP) that the NIC driver will 'listen' to shutdown/sleep events.

If the controller is up and running (doesn't have to be printing, just the controller OS and software running), then there will be no commands sent to the NIC driver to tell it to shutdown/sleep. And in the XP controller for an 8000, this was before the IPS and the days of EnergyStar certifications; there are no sleep settings present.

Setting just below that in the Power Management options is "Allow this device to wake the computer" and will listen for a packet destined for the MAC address of the NIC and send a wake signal to the controller if the system had been in a sleep mode; but again, there are no sleep settings on that controller.

So, I think there is something else going on here, but if it works now, then so be it. Just a little bit more info on how the systems work.

james
resident

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm ordering another ssd and will install it into another 8000 and will report back as to the progress. Probably in a couple of weeks.
The ssd machine is still printing with no problems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 8000 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: