Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Does KIP 3000 IF card use standard SSCI connector?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Does KIP 3000 IF card use standard SSCI connector? Reply with quote Back to top

Hey all,

Is the IF card connector just a standard SSCI connector?

I am hoping I could use one of these : http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCSI-cable-extension-connection-extender-centronics-connector-TVCS-666-/261166855992

and one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-HP-5183-2422-HD68-HD68-M-M-90-ohm-2-5M-SCSI-Cable-D3636C-/190326577396?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item2c505918f4

That way, I can setup a normal desktop computer as the KIP controller and just use this longer SSCI cable and USB exetnder cables (for KIP touchcreen and scanner).

Thanks in advance.

Mark

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Did your KIP Controller die and you are trying to use a different size PC to use as a controller?

Or

Are you trying to load the KIP Controller software to a normal desktop computer and use that same computer as a workstation? (Which I don't think will work.) The IPS Software is XP embedded. When you reghost the IPS, it installs a new OS with the IPS Software on it, it is not just simply a software to be loaded on any PC.

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I already done all the hard yards and built my own IPS that works fine. See my posts in last few months.

Only thing stopping me now is having to oput it all in a small case that fits in the KIP.

If i can use regular SSCI cable extender to link to the IF card, then I can just use regular size PC that sits next to the KIP.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Those connections don't look right to me. The Kip IF card in the IPS is a 50 pin female connection. The connector in the machine that plugs into the IF card is a 50 pin male connector. If I understand what you are trying to do is extend this connection so you can set the IPS/controller outside of the machine? So if I understand correctly what you need is an extention cable? Kip does have an extention cable for the 50 pin connection the problem is both ends are male 50 pin connectors. The only way to fix this is to find a 50 pin female to male adaptor (not sure if that exists) or to splice one on to the end of the Kip extension cable and check that the Kip cable does not crossover some of the wires in the cable. Hope that all makes sense.

PM me with your address. I have a bunch of these cables around and can cut out the connector in an old machine I have and you can splice one together. I hate to see you not get this thing working after all this time.

BTW. Since I haven't seen anyone else say it yet. It might have been cheaper to just buy another machine. Sorry I had to go there.

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They are actually 37-pin DSUB cables and have a specific pin out. You will need a KIP cable that has the proper pin out on it.

This can be done easily with a Fluke and 'OHMing' it out. But if someone has an extension cable, you should be all set.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry for some reason my brain thought it was 50.
I took a look at one of the 3000's I have in my shop and I think you could just route the IF cable through the left side cover out to the rear of the machine. That cable is actually pretty long. I know the scanner USB cable is also very long. I think the shortest IPS cables are the power cable, the monitor cable, and the USB touch screen cable.
I think it would be easier to get a monitor and USB extension cables and just plug the computer into a normal wall plug. Network cable doesn't need to go through the machine.

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Brilliant as always people.

Chillin, your suggestion makes good sense. I didn't follow the IF cable all the way round so I did'nt know it was that long. Extending the monitor and USB cables for touchscreen is easy peasy.

I am still confused about your comment about KIP selling extension cable. You say they sell extension cable but both ends are male connectors. IF so, how can that be used as an extension?

Maybe I am having a dumb blonde moment here.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

On the older Kips like the 8000 they used an extension cable to connect the controller to the machine or the old SCSI Scanner to connect the scanner to the print engine for making copies. Before the scanners switched to USB. I have never ohm'd out one of these cables to see if it was a straight pin to pin or if a few of the wires in the cable crossed over. They range in length from about 2, 6 or 10 feet if my memory is correct.

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, those cables sound interesting but if they are male-to-male (like you mentioned before), then splicing is only option I assume.

Regarding it being cheaper to have bought a new machine, I totally disagree. I haven't spent anything on getting this thing up and running. Yes, I have spent some time on it but the learning experience has been invaluable. I have always been sometime to try and figure out things myself and try and get to the end if at all possible. It might hurt you a bit the first 2 or 3 times but the benefits come down the line.

You also forget that I am down under and KIP machines (especially second hand ones) don't grow on trees down here. And KIP technicians are hard to find and charge ridiculous prices. So it pays to be resourceful in this situation.

I will make a reasonable sum for my time (considering a fair bit of it was learning) and it will be no more than the what the customer had budgeted so everybody will be happy ( I hope).

Also through the process, I found some bit and bobs like replacement motherboards that will no doubt assist in building replacement IPSs for any poor old KIP 3000s that need some TLC.

This last bit is really just to find a way to put all the hardware in a clean package (ie standard desktop PC case) rather than having components sliding around inside the KIP. Just a bit more of a professional touch and at no extra charge to customer.

If I had my time again, I would have changed nothing and meeting all you very gifted fellows has been a pleasure indeed.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I did forget you were down under. I will give you thumbs up for getting it running. By cheaper here in the US the wholesale price of a running 3000 S# 1050xxxx is probably between $1000 & $1500. The IPS is where the value really is. I have 3 3000's all in good shape just need the IPS, but the amount of time it takes to go through all the work you did to get an IPS built and configured doesn't make $ sense here.

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok,

So had another look at the KIP and there was no opening in the "left side over" as was suggested, unless it was meant for me to drill a hole etc.

In the end, I have all the cables routing through one of the square holes in the back cover (there is 2 with a small plastic window). Only thing I can't get through the hole is the VGA cable. So I think a strong hack saw is my only option here to make that square hole a little bigger.

I hope that metal isn't too tough.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: