Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Repairing a KIP 3000 controller - Part 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Repairing a KIP 3000 controller - Part 2 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey all,

I thought it would be best to make a new thread since my custom built KIP 3000 controller is now working (well mostly) but I have a follow-up problem.

When the customer prints from KIP Request 6 within the XP virtual machine I loaded in Windows 8, some PDF drawings will print and some don't. I have instructed the customer to click the "check size" button before printing as that seems to increase the success rate. When the PDF print job fails, the customer receives the following error message as a printout:

"Bad File! KIP CODE: VADOXIYU TYPE: PAPER REQUESTER: ADMINISTRATOR Invalid Vector File: Lot_F.pdf

I am super confused why some PDFs print and others do not. The drawings that do not print preview ok in KIP Request as well.

I tried printng directly from Adobe Reader but the print job fails to get to the KIP. I think its because the Windows print driver is set to use the KIP0 monitor port. Do I need to create a second driver and just use the standard TCP/IP port so that the customer can print from Adobe Reader as well?

Your input would be greatly appreciated. And thanks to all of you so far who helped me build the controller. Hopefully my project will be a benefit to other that it can be done and quite cheaply as well. Special thanks to Jezebel09 who was spot on with the info on how to get the original IPS number loaded again.

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What version windows driver are you using and what version software is running on the controller?

I would set the windows driver to use a standard tcp/ip port using port 8421 if the controller is running newer software like 7.2.348

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The driver I loaded was pulled from a selection of drivers that I found on an old PC (most likely kept there by the original KIP technician). I had a few to choose from such as the Windows auto driver but I ended up using one that was headed as "KIP 2006 driver". I ran the printman.exe and it setup the KIP monitor port 8421 and the KIP0 printer. The driver folder also contained the monitor.inf and plotter.inf files. The driver files were dated 2005 so pretty old no doubt.

I don't know what driver is loaded on the controller, i would assume the original one that came pre-installed. I think I recall trying to print from the controller via the Windows driver as well and I believe it failed to print also.

The IPS version on the controller is 6.5.188.02 and thus the KIP request running on the laptop is 6.5.

So you are saying I should use the tcp/ip port (i.e. IP address) instead of the KIP monitor port but continue to use port 8421 insead of the standard LPR port of 9100?

I am just super confused how some drawings print yet others do not. That makes the troubleshooting more complicated for sure.

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If your controller is for a KIP3000 I would recommend version 7.2.348. 6.5 is an old version.

After you get that controller version working then look at downloading the newest windows driver from kip.com

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What is the newest version of driver i can use with 6.5? At this stage I would prefer to stcik with 6.5 if possible as I am not a KP technician so finding a ghosted image and loading it will be an issue. And then no doubt there may be an issue with key codes.

My gut feeling tells me that updating the IPS is not the answer here as the customer was using this 6.5 setup aout a year ago and never had any issues with any PDFs.

Was my comment about the TCP/IP printer port correct?

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can use the 8.112 driver but you need the mixed environment patch installed to make it work.

You are correct about the tcp/ip port but make sure you install the mixed environment patch first.

If your customer is printing the same exact PDF's as before I can see your logic but the postscript language is constantly changing and that's why I recommend updating to 7.2.348, it has a newer postscript processing file and might help.

Did you install the keycodes yet? If not then there's your problem. You need the postscript keycode to process PDF files.

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am in Australia with limited resources. I do have a link to an authorised KIP rep over here but tryring to keep costs down as have already thrown about $1000 dollars worth of labour and parts at it and its still not working right.

Where can i get the mix environment patch? If I can't get it, maybe I could find a driver that is compaitable with IPS 6.5 but is a newer driver than the one I am using which must be old as the version dates state 2005.

Again as much as I would like to attempt ghosting it to 7.2.348, I don't have a ghost image/disk anyway.

Regarding the keycodes, if you saw my post b4 this one "repairing Kip controller Part 1", you will see that I built a custom made controller but with the original CPU and IF board and spoofed the MAC address of original KIP MOBO NIC card. Thus the IPS number remained constant and no key codes were required. I went into the config settings but couldn't find the area to key in the codes anyway (not sure why, maybe because they were already loaded?).

Regarding the TCP/IP port switch. I did try that the other day but couldn't make it work. Firstly I tried editing the KIP0 monitor driver but only thing I could change in there was whether it was a workstation or controller. I then tried creating a new TCP/IP printer in add/remove printers but Windows could not find the KIP on the specified IP address. Is it possible I have to type in like this:

192.168.0.200: 8421

I am thinking it failed because when I type in the IP address only it will look on port 9100 which I assume does not work.

Is it odd that I cannot print even a notepad document to the KIP0 when I am on the controller?

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PM me your email address and I will send you the mixed environment patch.

The KIP0 port should be set to controller when using the driver directly on the IPS controller and set to server when using it from any other computer that prints to the KIP.

The IP port can be reconfigured from port 9100 to 8421 simply by hitting the configure port button.

To view the keycodes go to the ? button then the configuration button. In one of those screens should be an Options button. That should list your keycodes and have them checked if they are installed and working properly.

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

did u get my pm?

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Why are we not suggesting pulling the Windows driver and KIP Request from PrintNET? This ensures that all components are the right version for the software that is loaded on the controller.

It seems to me that we are suggesting that we create another set of hodge-podge components that complicate it even further.

Start with what we know works, then go from there.

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Marky, I sent you an email. Did you get it?

Jez, we are not creating a hodge-podge. we are recommending using the latest driver that kip has available that are up to date for use with newer PDF files.

Using printnet is only going to download the old drivers from the controller that are probably 6 to 8 years old being he's on 6.5

As you probably already know, KIP updates drivers and software where they can still work with older versions of the controller builds. They don't make the drivers and software work with just one specific build. They update these things to fix bugs and make them better.

Everything I have recommended I have tested and used in different accounts with great success.

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What I am trying to say/do is get a printer up and running with compatible versions; make sure that works, THEN you can start messing with other versions.

It make a lot more sense to have something up and running with fully released and compatible versions.

What is being suggested introduces a lot of questions. If something doesn't work, then there is a lot more troubleshooting to be done; keep it simple.

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed. KISS.

But the original post about this was related to printing PDF files using the windows driver (which sounds like an old one) We don't even know what version it is and it's being used in a VM.

With some PDF files printing and some not, it sounds like there are newer PDF files that are not understood by the old print driver.

When encountering PDF printing issues I have found that updating to the newest versions is the best place to start.

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing a KIP 3000 controller - Part 2 Reply with quote Back to top

marky000 wrote:
Hey all,

When the customer prints from KIP Request 6 within the XP virtual machine I loaded in Windows 8, some PDF drawings will print and some don't. I have instructed the customer to click the "check size" button before printing as that seems to increase the success rate. When the PDF print job fails, the customer receives the following error message as a printout:

"Bad File! KIP CODE: VADOXIYU TYPE: PAPER REQUESTER: ADMINISTRATOR Invalid Vector File: Lot_F.pdf

I am super confused why some PDFs print and others do not. The drawings that do not print preview ok in KIP Request as well.

There are a set of files, referred in the KIP world as M-Files or conversion files. These are responsible for converting an image to something that the printer can understand and process. If you are saying that it works on the workstation and not on the controller, then I would look at making these match.

They can be taken from the workstation and copied to the printer controller.

marky000 wrote:

I tried printng directly from Adobe Reader but the print job fails to get to the KIP. I think its because the Windows print driver is set to use the KIP0 monitor port. Do I need to create a second driver and just use the standard TCP/IP port so that the customer can print from Adobe Reader as well?

Your input would be greatly appreciated. And thanks to all of you so far who helped me build the controller. Hopefully my project will be a benefit to other that it can be done and quite cheaply as well. Special thanks to Jezebel09 who was spot on with the info on how to get the original IPS number loaded again.

I would look at the patch that cjwilt suggested in this case. The KIP0 port is the common port that the KIP Windows driver uses in order to send print data over to the printer via TCP connection.

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Jezebel and cjwilt.

Glad to have you guys on board. An update as to where I am at.

- I installed the mixed_envirnoment patch on the controller.
- I then checked the drivers that were being used on both the controller and on the virtual Windows XP machine. They were both using the same driver files with the following characteristics:

KIPGS600.PDD 7 March 2006
kuwxppd.dll 5 July 2007
kuwxppui.dll 5 July 2007

Actually the controller was initially using a driver called KIP 600 DPI (i think) with even older version dates so I updated the driver files to the versions mentioned above and it then said KIP 3000 instead of KIP 600 DPI which made more sense to me.

- On the workstation, I deleted the KIP0 printer (that one that uses the KIP Monitor port). I then followed cjwilt's instructions of adding the KIP printer using the standard Windows TCP/IP printer port instead. When I selected the custom port of 8421 instead of default 9100, the KIP was detected and I installed the old KIP 2006/2007 driver initially just to see what would happen.

- Well, I was able to print the "bad" PDFs fine from Adobe Reader X installed on the XP virtual machine, using the old KIP driver.

- I then tried it using KIP request and it failed to print the "bad" PDFs but could print the "good" PDFs. Clearly, KIP Request talks using its own driver (independent of the Windows driver). KIP Request version on Controller is 6.5.0.49 and KIP Request Version on Workstation is 6.5.109.

- I installed the latest KIP 8.112 Windows driver on the workstation but that obviously did not fix the KIP Request issue.

So the moral of the story is that some PDFs do not print when using KIP Request but they will all print using Adobe Reader via the Windows TCP/IP port driver. Am I able to update KIP Request on the workstation now that the mixed environment patch has been installed?

Three other things bothering me about the setup.

- It seems strange why I can't properly print from the controller itself. Maybe this is normal behaviour. I was able to print out a notepad document (sometimes) but I couldn't test a PDF as the controller would not let me install Adobe Reader ( I guess because it is just Windows XP embedded). I realise no one would actually print from the controller but troubleshooting wise, it would have been good to be able to print direct from controller. Can KIP Request be run from the controller?

- On the odd occassion I was still getting those "internal voltage error, e-031-e034, cycle power". When ever it happens the printout gets to about 95 percent done. To me it seems like the paper is not feeding out into the exit tray correctly which seems to then trigger the voltage error. If I remove the paper jam, it sometimes corrects itself on the 2nd or 3rd print attempt. It is a bit like the chicken and the egg scenario, I dont know if its the paper jamming that is causing the voltage error or the voltage error that triggers the paper jam. I hope it is the first scenario as ensuring the paper feeds out nicely and un-interupted is going to be easier to fix. If this issue is not related to the controller, I will probably handball it to the KIP authorised repairer.

- At one point, rather than the print jobs going through the queue normally and printing, the job would hit the KIP queue but rather than giving the name of the machine that created the print job and then printing automatically, it would have a strange KIP code instead and then say something like "check film". If I then clicked on "check film" on the touchscreen and selected paper, the job would go through. Then suddenly it stopped doing it and went back to printing jobs automatically. The mind boggles.

Last edited by marky000 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:03 pm; edited 6 times in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: