Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Repairing a KIP 3000 controller
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, the IPS number is generated each time the controller is booted. If the Unattend software finds new hardware, it will regenerate a new IPS number and you will have to call KIP to get a new set of key codes.

So, repairing the "bad" controller and sticking the current hard drive back in will get you back to where you were before the capacitor failed.

Just keep the original hardware, repair the capacitor and you should be good to go for some time.

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your info, its been great.

Just one last crazy thought but. I have in the past used software to change the MAC address on NIC cards. If I used the original CPU and IF card and then changed the NIC MAC address to the same as the original controller, I would think that might work.

The strategy would be to load a different OS such as a Windows Live CD and change the MAC address of the NIC. Then connect the original KIP OS hard drive back to the MOBO and allow it to discover the new hardware. Since all 3 components would appear as the same, that should work Laughing

The problem I am going to have but is finding out what the original MAC address for the NIC was. Would it be registered anywhere in the KIP software. If the serial number is generated based on other hardware information (in addition to the MAC address), then I will be wasting my time.

I'll be honest in saying I have never replaced caps on a MOBO but I am willing to try in this case if I have to. Just thought I would toss up the MAC address changer in the mix.

Oh and I realise this might be borderline legal but if KIP no longer offers support or a replacement part, then what choice do you have. And it certainly does not seem fair to repurchase key codes since it is their hardware that has failed.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Once Keycodes have been purchased for a machine Kip will not charge for new Keycodes. You or maybe an authorized dealer will have to send to Kip the build sheet or main screen print out and they will generate new codes. They don't charge for this and usually get the new codes back to you within a hour in my experience.

It seems to me like a lot of work going into a 10+ year old machine that has been discontinued. Even if or when you get this issue fixed there are other parts (scanner boards etc) that are not available anymore. At some point every machine dies.

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, time to put the soldering iron down and get that new controller happening Laughing

Wonder why the other guys made an issue with regards to the keycodes then. I assume entering the codes is simple. Maybe one for printing/copying and maybe one for scanning?

This to me is an easier option than spending hours replacing capacitors only to find the MOBO is still stuffed.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Getting Keycodes for an Authorized KIP dealer is as simple as faxing or emailing the build sheet to KIP and they will email you new codes. Might be different if you are a Konica Minolta dealer that I can't say.

Entering the codes is a simple as going to the configuration screen and hitting the options button and entering about a 20 digit code. Hardest part is telling the difference between a O and 0. And having fat fingers hitting the wrong button.

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

lol, well I better bring my trusty USB keyboard and mouse to make the job easier Laughing

I am not an authorised KIP dealer but I am in contact with someone who is. Hopefully he can help me or I will try and contact them directly myself.

Did I mention I am in Australia?

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Put another keycode on the Barbie.......Front me a plane ticket and I"LL get the keycodes for you and I'll even install them..... Very Happy
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i will trade u a BBQ prawn (u guys call em shrimps) for every keycode u bring.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

1 prawn? That's not a good deal. Hold firm for the plane ticket.

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

marky000 wrote:

Just one last crazy thought but. I have in the past used software to change the MAC address on NIC cards. If I used the original CPU and IF card and then changed the NIC MAC address to the same as the original controller, I would think that might work.

The strategy would be to load a different OS such as a Windows Live CD and change the MAC address of the NIC. Then connect the original KIP OS hard drive back to the MOBO and allow it to discover the new hardware. Since all 3 components would appear as the same, that should work Laughing

The problem I am going to have but is finding out what the original MAC address for the NIC was. Would it be registered anywhere in the KIP software. If the serial number is generated based on other hardware information (in addition to the MAC address), then I will be wasting my time.

I'll be honest in saying I have never replaced caps on a MOBO but I am willing to try in this case if I have to. Just thought I would toss up the MAC address changer in the mix.

Oh and I realise this might be borderline legal but if KIP no longer offers support or a replacement part, then what choice do you have. And it certainly does not seem fair to repurchase key codes since it is their hardware that has failed.

When you change the MAC address, you are not changing the physical MAC address, you are simply spoofing it in the TCP/IP stack via software. In order to change it on the actual NIC itself, you would have to re-burn the "firmware" on the NIC and I am sure that isn't something that can be done outside of the vendor of the NIC.

If you do want to try this, there should be a sticker someplace on the motherboard or the IPS itself from MSI that has the NIC MAC address printed on it. This might be under the board.

The route that you are looking at seems to be way more effort than just replacing the capacitor itself.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

CHILLIN you are absolutely right....OK now it's 2 plane tickets and 2 shrimps.

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

OK so you guys obviously havent seen how big the Black Tiger prawns get over here (up to 150g and 35 cm). Straight out of the ocean and on to the Barbie. A couple of them and a few beers and you will be sweet.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That sounds like an invitation, what do you think CHILLIN?

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

G-day mate. Count me in too.

When do we leave?

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Soon as the Aussie sends the tickets.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: