Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Melting film

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Melting film Reply with quote Back to top

I have a customer that has a 3000 that prints flawlessly. The bond prints come out looking nice and they never have any issues with the printer. The other day, they called and said that they tried to run film through the 3000, and it melted. I know they've never run film through the printer before and I've never had to adjust any film temp settings. In the manual, the default temp for film is 170 and 165 for bond. Also, the max temp is 180, so it's not like the temp shot up so high that it should be melting the film. Any suggestions before I head out there? I'm sure I could just lower the temp but it might get toner fusing issues.

TXReproShop
doctor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just a thought - but make sure they have Xerographic film and not Ink Jet Film. Edit to add that we also had a problem years ago with brand "O" film melting in KIP machines.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the tip. I don't know why I didn't think about that before... Makes perfect sense, so I hope that's it because they do have a KIP and a Canon.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

OK, so I was out there and they have the correct paper. What is happening is that they are trying to print on 4mil. mylar. When the mylar exits the fuser/pressure roller, the center is diving under the paper guide that holds the paper sensor. I noticed that this particular paper guide sits back further away from the fuser/pressure roller than the others. It's pretty consistant. After clearing jam, you might one or two before it jams again. Any thoughts?

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There is a updated lower guide for that sort of problem.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, there was one for the 3100 and so I thought they were different. I've actually got two of those upgrade kits sitting on my shelf. I took it out and installed it into our parts KIP3000 just to see if it'll fit and VOILA. So I'm going to bring it to the customer and change it out tomorrow. Worst case scenario, I can take that one center guide (with hole for sensor) and swap that out because that's the main difference. The new piece is the same length as all the others, as the old current one is much shorter.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Replacing the part fixed the issue. The part number for the part is Z168080150 and it is Heater Exit Guide Kit. This replaces the entire guide plate but if you really only need to replace the one little (shorter) guide that is causing the media to dive under it. If you order the one out of the KIP3000 parts manual, it looks like you'll get the shorter (original) guide. You'll have to order it out of the KIP3100 parts manual. The part number is Z164400970 and it is the Guide Fuser C.

Also, when the customer called saying that the mylar was melting in the fuser section. It was because the mylar was jamming and it would sit in between the fuser/pressure roller for a while before they would remove the jam. The mylar would be warped, but not melted (like to a liquid).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: