Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

3000 not fusing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: 3000 not fusing Reply with quote Back to top

Customer started a run, first 3 or 4 sheets fused fine, then a few that get progressively less fused, then another 50 sheets that did not fuse at all.
Fuser looks fine except for the fact that there was un-melted toner all over the fuser roller. I cleaned the rollers, claws and thermistors, checked the pressure and all seems fine. Heater is cycling as it should.
I am going to replace the thermistors but I am still really puzzled how that many sheets went through a cold fuser without an error.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Scott

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nope, you're the winner on this one.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe it's not cold. What if somehow (and I'm just guessing here) the fuser and pressure roller somehow came apart (loss of pressure, or just enough to pull the paper through without fusing the toner). So I guess, make sure that there is good pressure between the two rollers. I'd have to say that if the fuser went cold, you'd of got some type of error.........Maybe?

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is one prize I did not want to win!

I will double check the pressure, but the fuser nip is correct and I just see no they could have come apart and have the machine feed paper.

And when I say "not fused" I mean it, the toner is simply powder on the paper.

Thanks,

Scott

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You could print something and stop it at mid print of the fuser section. Reach in and see if the fuser roller is hot. You can also take off the side covers and let it run. I believe you should be able to see the glow of the fuser lamp or the lamp itself. Also, check to make sure that you don't have something "masked" in service mode on the little LCD screen. That can be the only thing I can think of that why there is no error...

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had one doing this but never when I got onsite. I replaced the lamp, fuser roller, bushings, thermistors ans solid state relay. The customer reported it still doing the same thing after all that so I swapped the whole fuser section with one from a trade in and they haven't called me back since.

I guess after saying that, they will call tomorrow. On a friday no less.

Very Happy

slyman
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It happen 2 times here....one was the thermistors (don't remember witch one) and the other was a bad contact of the fuser door with the switch. Check if you have a looses screws between the fuser plastic door and the metal frame of the fuser door. That may cause your bad contact and don't close the switch proprely.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Try the thermistors, like slyman said. One good indicator of the plastic door cover of the fuser being loose is constant vibration and noise in the fuser area and random "door open" errors as the "finger" to hit the switch is on the plastic door cover.

tjohnson
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Am I getting senile or wasn't there a firmware update that was for this exact problem? I've seen it a couple of times, and it always works fine after a reboot, all thermistors checked fine the last time I witnessed this problem.

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I believe the firmware update for that problem was for the 3100 not the 3000 but I have been know to be wrong before.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alert the media!!! You're right, this time
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Scot does the poor fusig happen every time or just once in awhile?

I have seen a few 3000's that for some reason when in a cold or warm sleep mode the customer sends a job and it will start to print before the machine is in a 100% warmed up condition. Usually I upgrade the IPS and patch it to 7.2.348-01 and that took care of it.

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I double checked and this one is up to date for both firmware and IPS. It only happened once and the first few sheets were fused and then slowly got less fused. I have thermistors I am putting in this week so we will see. I just hate intermittent problems.

bigal
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: poor fusing Reply with quote Back to top

Try this, open and close the printer clam shell a few times. This pushes down on a release lever on fuser unit to relieve the pressure roller so you can pull out jams.
for some reason it needs to be exercised once in a while!

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Customer says it has been working fine, no more problems. Probably just a one time issue.
Put in the fuser roller and thermistors yesterday. One thermistor was rather worn. And the fuser roller was getting old and needed replaced.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: