Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

"Restore Factory HDD Image"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brettstr42
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: "Restore Factory HDD Image" Reply with quote Back to top

Guys (Gals?),

Sys info is below. My question revolves, as you can see by the subject line, restoring the OEM image to my IPS. I'm having a whole bunch of issues that are no doubt, and in no small part, due to my tinkering around within the boiled down XP OS. I want to go back to the factory image and start from scratch. I figure it will be a whole lot easier than trying to figure out how to fix all the issues, such as web interface log in and so forth.

1.) Has anyone experienced issues restoring the IPS factory hard drive image via the "Service Configuration - IPS Setup" that would lead me to believe I shouldn't go this route?

2.) Once I restore the image, assuming all goes well, will I need to enter the IPS' key codes?

3.) Can you think of anything that might go wrong and tips as to how to avoid such faults?

Thank you all again for your help, in advanced cause I know you're going to....

IPS Information:
Kip 3000
Serial #1051####
Kip Queue View Version 6.5.0.188
"Software Version" 1.3.34
Firmware K105SC 2.00

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Issues you might encounter restoring through the Service Config is... That image could be corrupt too but probably not. It's hard to tell. Can you tell us more of the issues you are having?

If you restore you will have to re-enter the key codes. If you don't have them, they are stored in the C:\program files\Kip\Unattend\winuntd.ini file.

You will also have to restore all network settings and personal preferences.

You can restore using DVD if you have it. The latest version is 7.2.348

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tell us why you had to "tinker" with the XP OS? Were you having issues or were you "experimenting"? If you were having OS issues, then reghosting from a DVD might be best. If you were just "tinkering with" and "experimenting" with the OS, then an IPS Factory restore should be OK. Just don't tinker with it anymore afterwards...LOL.

I see that you are on version 6.5, so the DVD on the controller box will most likely be 6.5 or older, if you decide to reghost via DVD. I don't think KIP came out with the KIP Backup.exe until 7.0 so I don't know if it can be used on 6.5. I personally haven't tried it.

CJ is correct about 7.2.348 being the latest version for your KIP, but then you'd have to obtain a 7.2 reghost DVD.

Brettstr42
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you both for your replies. Issue include the inability to log in from the web interface, kip request unable to print, xp workstations sporadically not printing, and host of others.

I was tinkering around just to tinker, it's what I do. I would be ok if I could at least restore the web interface but I can't seem to get it. I can't log in. I've tried every combo of password and username I can think of but to no avail. Hence, wanting to restore the image.

I would LOVE to upgrade to 7.2 but my service dealer, with whom I have a contract, refuses to do the upgrade for whatever reason. Something about Version A or B of the controller. Yes, I'm in the process of cancelling that contract. And, KIP won't give me the ghost dvd. So, in the meantime, just wanting to start from scratch. Already got the keycodes from the .ini file and the network settings shouldn't be an issue.

I've imaged the hdd in its current state so I can revert if anything catastrophic happens but I just wanted to see what y'all thought of the restore.

And oh, dlee, if the restore goes well....you can definitely count of me continuing to tinker with the OS. Like I said, it's just what I do. Plus, I've been able to do some fun stuff like install VNC, image the hdd, and copy across the network (all of which I am sure led me to where I am now) which I couldn't do before. Just nice to know I can restore to the OEM image if needed.

Let me know if you guys have any other pointers. Thanks.

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Your dealer SHOULD be able to install 7.2.348 regardless of the controller. Sounds like they don't want to do it for whatever reason.

If you send me a hard drive, I will image it with 7.2.348 for you and you can just pop it in the controller. This is the easy way to do it. Let me know if you want to take me up on the offer.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

All KIP controllers come with the UN: admin PW: kip and UN: kip PW: kip as the default. The only thing is that if you delete all accounting presets, you will delete these also. They are easy to restore, though, and you wouldn't need a reghost to restore these UN and PW. Recreate them using Request and "Push" them to the controller.

Are you losing network connectivity on the controller? Is this why Request is unable to print to the printer? Is KIP Request connected to the KIP Controller? If you have KIP Request installed on an XP PC, go to C:>Program Files>KIP>Request. Inside the Request folder, there is already a Vncviewer.exe that is provided with the Request software. VNC server: (KIP IP address) PW: kip.

XP workstations sporadically not printing (to the KIP?). How about to other printers? Could this be a PC issue and not KIP controller issue?

I'm not sure how you'd be able to "copy" across the network, but you can scan to anywhere on your network using the SMB option in the Scan mailbox setup.

From what you've mentioned, the only sure thing that you could recover would be the factory UN and PW, when you reghost the controller. Networking issues? Maybe. Request not being able to print to the controller? Maybe. XP workstations sporadically not printing? Maybe. Maybes only because there could be other factors to consider for these issues.

But then again, you could reghost and be all good. Let us know how it goes if and when you reghost, either from factory settings or DVD?

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, like CJ said. I don't see why your Service Dealer wouldn't want to upgrade to 7.2, it's better for all in the long run. I know the older KIP3000 with SN# 1050####is no longer supported by KIP, but you have a 1051####, which is still supported. I believe the only reason they wouldn't want to is because they probably don't know how too. Sad to say. Recently, a company 5 states away contacted me and said that their local Service Tech was trying to re-ghost their controller but after 2 hours couldn't figure out why the DVD wouldn't autoplay. They sent me a picture of the DVD that the Tech was trying to reghost with, and it was a software and manual DVD. It wasn't even a Reghost DVD. And he swore up and down that he'd done it hundreds of times before.

Brettstr42
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

cjwilt: are you kidding me? That'd be utterly fantastic. PMing you right now.

dlee..wow...quite a list...let me start from the beginning; this might get long.

My unit came as UN:kip / PW:kip. I've tried all combinations, permutations, and reverse algorithms (I don't even know what that means) using admin, kip, and pprinter, (even "blank") and can't get in so I figured I messed something up in the IIS manger. I didn't know I could "reset" them and push them back to the controller using KR. I'll give it a shot.

It's not a network or connectivity issue. I CAN connect to the IPS using request and even directly through windows print drivers. It's just that after the job is submitted, sometimes the Kip decides it will print, sometime it just doesn't feel like it, and sometimes it just prints out an error page. I can't seem to find a pattern or a file issue and it just started to happen about 4 months ago or so.

I did NOT realize there was a VNC server on the machine already. That's why installed TightVNC so I could manipulate the software from my desktop/workstation. Works well for me. I realize that this might have cause some of the issues.

All workstations print to other printers just fine and the issue with the KIP happens when printing from all machines. Even with Vista/Win 7...sometimes it prints, sometimes it don't. I know that the current software version on my IPS (6.5.###) wasn't designed for Vista/7 but it works on occasion. XP is sporadic though too.

By copy across the network, I mean open a network folder within the XP OS and drag/drop/copy files from the KIP HDD to network shares. I copied the entire "C:\Program Files\KIP" folder across to the server to make sure I don't lose the keycodes. Figured it was easier than just the .ini file.

Since the printing issues have started, using VNC, I can open up the network drive and print files directly from the KIP using right click/print. This is how we've gotten by since the printing issues and web interface issues have come up. Slow, buggy, and inconvenient but it has to do for now.

I do have Serial #1051#### so I know that KIPAmerica still has 'some' support.

Not sure why they don't want to do the upgrade other than they just don't feel like it or want to charge me a crap load of money to do it. Oh Well. Hopefully cj can help me out. This forum rocks.

Your story about the tech is quite sad. Isn't he supposed to be a "pro". Just sad.

Anyway, thank for you all your support and assistance. I'll let you know how the "restore" goes...when I get around to giving it a shot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: