Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Kip 3100 Software Upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brettstr42
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So just to be clear on this....
I can NOT remove the hard drive, image the drive, upgrade to v7.2 on the same drive, and if something goes wrong, put the OEM image I took back onto the hard drive?
Does v7.2 load onto some other chip or drive and run off of that instead of the hard drive inside the machine?
Just to trying to get clear on how the machine operates. I was under the impression that the system ran off of (basically) a PC with boiled down XP on it which would mean it runs off a typical PATA HDD no? Thanks again for the enlightenment.

TXReproShop
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mark in vegas wrote:
I'm always confused about being confused

How do you know if you never knew?

TXReproShop
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Brettstr42 wrote:
So just to be clear on this....
I can NOT remove the hard drive, image the drive, upgrade to v7.2 on the same drive, and if something goes wrong, put the OEM image I took back onto the hard drive?
Does v7.2 load onto some other chip or drive and run off of that instead of the hard drive inside the machine?
Just to trying to get clear on how the machine operates. I was under the impression that the system ran off of (basically) a PC with boiled down XP on it which would mean it runs off a typical PATA HDD no? Thanks again for the enlightenment.

Here is how I do upgrades/re-ghosts. I have a Gear Head brand portable DVD drive. I USB that and a keyboard to the controller, which as mentioned is set to boot off of the CD drive. I let the upgrade (or downgrade) run its course. Then enter all the other needed info such as Keycodes, network address, sleep times, etc. That is really about all there is to it.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

May I add-

Set the BIOS to USB CDROM first boot device
DO NOT connect the DVD drive through a hub, connect direct to IPS. It's OK to hub the keyboard and mouse.
Watch the UI during the ghost to catch any problems early

Buy these guys a beer next time you see them.........
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

Brettstr42
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Directory of that .ini file with the keys? Name of the file?
Beers all around!!

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Color keycodes or the rest?

unattend .ini and the color is saved in the registery

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No kiddin, where in the registry it be at?

Brettstr42
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What is the format of the (non-color) codes? How many numbers, letters, mix of both, am I looking for? I'm guessing it is NOT the "IPS Number."
Thanks for all of the help. I'm enjoying learning more about the system from you wise and humble Docs.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Look for a format like these....

DHV2IT742XH6201
5AJ2ZBZ5NMKZB4C

Do not confuse the 0 and O

Brettstr42
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fan-Friggin-Tastic...
If I only have print, scan, and copy (no color nothin) how many codes would I have? Just curious if I need to look for more than one key code.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just one

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Brettstr42 you will only need one code. In the Unattend .ini look for the line that looks like below that says KeyCode= That is the line you want to write down. As Mark said careful with the 0's and O's.

Mark off the top of my head I don't remember. I will look for it the next time I'm at a machine that has color. I got tired of waiting for codes from KIP on machines I didn't sell. So now I just write them down before I reghost.

IgnoreExt=
CopyDensity=2
MaximumRollSize=36.5
FoldBypass=01
DefaultFileType=V
DefaultJamCopies=2
ReprintJamInches=48
DelayBetweenSets=0
MaxImageSize=100
WireCleanTime=12:00
WireCleanAmount=20000
FeetSinceWireClean=422.483
RasterMultiplier=1
KipNumberOfRolls=0
KeyCode= (THIS LINE RIGHT HERE!!!!)
BackupConfigFile=C:\Program Files\KIP\Unattend\WinUntd.Ini-Bak

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It always makes me smile when I realize there are smarter people than I am...........

Brettstr42
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to both of you. I just went ahead and copied the whole .ini file (actually the whole Kip program file folder) onto my server on the network so I can be sure to NOT mess up any of the code. The server gets backed up so I'll be sure not to loose the cods from here on out.
Still waiting to hear back from kc3 Mark...I'll update when I do.
All of your tutelage is greatly appreciated

bogey0
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can't ever remember where exactly in the registry the color keycode is, but from the registry, a simple "ctrl+f" "keycode" will find it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: