Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

KIP 2021 Scanner Setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 2000 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnewhook
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: KIP 2021 Scanner Setup Reply with quote Back to top

Hi All. I'm new here, but I am hoping someone can help me out. I just purchased a KIP 2021 Scanner, just the scanner, no printer and no terminal. It has a DB37 Pin Cable on the Back. Can someone help me to figure out how I can hook this up to a computer for scanning? Also, I have no software or anything with it either.

Thanks,
Bill

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Did you actually see this work before you bought it? This scanner typically is not a stand-alone scanner. It is connected to a printer or a printer controller. You have a LOT of missing pieces.

bnewhook

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the reply. To answer your question, no I didn't see it working, likewise I know next to nothing about it. If this is something that cannot be done, I can cut my losses on it.

If anyone is interested in a parts machine or parts for it, that can be arranged.

Thanks!!

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cut your losses....even ordering an interface (I/F) board from KIP is going to be in the $10k+ range. Well more than the cost of a new color scanner scanner.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Did you mean to say a KIP 2120, not 2021? I didn't know KIP has a 2021, unless it's an older (ancient) scanner. We have a 2120 sitting on our floor as a stand alone scanner. If you meant a 2120, you wouldn't need that much to get it running to use it for scanning. If you have the plate on the back, towards the left side, that has the SCSI port, Printer port and Serial port, all you really need is a 50 pin SCSI cable and the SCSI card that you install on the STF PC, along with the software, you should be good to go. I'm not sure what a DB37 Pin Cable means. I don't think the cable and card would cost that much and we give away software on this lovely forum all day long.

I guess, first, confirm if you have a 2021 or 2120. If you do have a 2021, then disregard what I said above.

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My memory is a bit off, but the 2021 was on top of the 2700 printer and made the 2900 combination. The DB37 is the I/F connection for the printer and scanner.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

OH, OK. So a 2021 does exist. I know the 2900 was before my time, and I've been servicing KIP for almost 13 years now...LOL. Too bad 13 years is still considered a newbie to some of the other folks on this forum.

slyman
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've work on 2900 machine's....those are very old !!! and no more parts are available exept in scrapyard (if so).

And yes you will need SCII adapter, but where ?? Also, if you find one, you will have to let it work on XP Workstation ONLY (No Win7). Those was running on NT before.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dlee=newby mark in vegas=old man
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

bnewhook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, this is in fact a 2021. The label on the top says 2900, but there was no printer with this. Some research told me it was a 2021. I would be ok with the WinXP workstation, but finding the SCII adapter sounds like will be the most difficult part.

I guess I am going to cut my losses. I got a decent table out of the deal Very Happy .

Anybody out there need any parts??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 2000 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: