Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

KIP 2900 newbie question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 2000 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MountainJohn
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: KIP 2900 newbie question Reply with quote Back to top

Hello,

New guy here, I am looking at a used KIP 2900 for personal use and have a few questions that can probably be answered here. The 2900 is functional and comes with the scanner and computer terminal. My main desire is a wide scanner as I already have a HP Designjet.
I was hoping to purchase just the scanner and terminal and run these independently to scan large formats and then transfer the scans to my other computer or directly to my Designjet. My question is, can I use the scanner without the printer? Since this would go into my already cramped room, I really didn't want to purchase the 400#+ printer and have to lug it into the house. This wouldn't be feasible at my location.
Or can the scanner even be used without the KIP computer terminal?

Thank You,
John

KIP Dude
resident

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi John,
The scanner uses a scsi interface and can scan to any PC with the card attached. "Copying" is where the printer comes in. If that is not required you do not need the printer.

MountainJohn
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

KIP Dude,

Thanks for the information. I will persue purchase of the scanner.

John

slyman
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes you can use the scan as stand alone like Kip Dude says but don't forget to take the software that goes with it (Kip scan, latest 5.5 for this machine I thing) with the SCII driver card. Those are very old and may be difficult to find.

Also, the SCII card will work only in WinXP box.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Funny that I read this. I just put a couple CDs in the trash, all are PowerPrint 5.5. Guess I'll hold on to them just in case MJ needs them.

JRR
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I too am a newbie with the KIP 2900, but it looks like it will fill a void in my shop. I've been wanting a wide format scanner for a long time to do my pinball, arcade, and jukebox schematics that are all larger than my 11 X 17 scanner/printer can handle easily (cut and paste - boring!). I'm even thinking of getting the printer running (when I have time) as using an Epson wide format printer for printing these out is coslty for the ink...

So, I'm looking for a CD with 5.5 on it, the computer that came with the machine didn't have anything after 2.02 as far as I can tell, and is now giving me a Qsyc error "This program performed and illegal operation..." and now the police are knocking at the door about that!

I know this is old equipment, but if it can do the job and is relatively easy to get running why not revive it?

John :-#)#

james
resident

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi John,
I have Kip Scan 5.2, it will go in an email.
Let me know if you want it and an email.
james

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I thought the 2900 used the 36 pin proprietary cable and plugged into the kip card on the pc?

If this is the case, I have never seen just the scanner hooked up.

Anyone else seen this?

JRR
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

cjwilt wrote:
I thought the 2900 used the 36 pin proprietary cable and plugged into the kip card on the pc?

Anyone else seen this?

As near as I can tell form the documents and installation software there were two types of interface - one was proprietory (likely the 36 pin one you speak of ), the other was SCSI and used a DB-50 connector. What I am trying to figure out right now is what SCSI cards are compatible with the 2021 SCSI scanner used in the KIP 2900 system. I have a damaged copy of the old software 2.0.2 I believe and it gives an error message and ignores the Start button on the scanner although it appears to talk with the scanner OK...
The service manual for the 2010 is not so great, covers the self tests, but does not get into the schematics of the beastie. Also there is reference in the 5.2 software that the frimware Eprom needs to be up to date and I can't find anything on that! If anyone has Eprom data that are willing to share that would help a lot!

Lastly trying to reinstall the 2.0.x software runs into the serial number issue - it won't install without the package serial number and that has been long lost by the person I got the machine from, hence trying to use 5.X software...

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My service manual for the 2021 only lists the 36 pin connector.

Do you have the scanner there to confirm it is a scsi?

The other scanners worked great with the adaptec 2930 scsi card.

JRR
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

JRR wrote:
cjwilt wrote:

Anyone else seen this?

As near as I can tell form the documents and installation software there were two types of interface - one was proprietory (likely the 36 pin one you speak of ), the other was SCSI and used a DB-50 connector. What I am trying to figure out right now is what SCSI cards are compatible with the 2021 SCSI scanner used in the KIP 2900 system. I have a damaged copy of the old software 2.0.2 I believe and it gives an error message and ignores the Start button on the scanner although it appears to talk with the scanner OK...
The service manual for the 2010 is not so great, covers the self tests, but does not get into the schematics of the beastie. Also there is reference in the 5.2 software that the frimware Eprom needs to be up to date and I can't find anything on that! If anyone has Eprom data that are willing to share that would help a lot!

Lastly trying to reinstall the 2.0.x software runs into the serial number issue - it won't install without the package serial number and that has been long lost by the person I got the machine from, hence trying to use 5.X software...

Ah, my unit does NOT have SCSI - it uses the proprietory KIP interface. Nuts. Trying to use 5.5.2 but it keeps wanting a SCSI interface, so will format up a new drive with XP and try again. I suspect I've got an INI buried somewhere that is calling for SCSI and that is my problem...

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I think the ini file has a line in it that links to the exe file that allows the software to talk to the scanner.

Search for a winscan.ini file.

JRR
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

cjwilt wrote:
Yes, I think the ini file has a line in it that links to the exe file that allows the software to talk to the scanner.

Search for a winscan.ini file.

Do you have any information on what was the last version of software that would work with the 2021? I can't get it recognized by version 5.2, and the only version of 4.x is for NT, not W98SE. I have software (version 2.0.x) that is supposed to be for the 2021, but it wants a software serial number - which (of course) I don't have. Why on earth they want a serial number is beyond me as the software should only be able to work with the 2021 proprietary interface and thus could only be used with a KIP scanner...

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know on our old units I was able to get KIP 5.5 to work on Windows XP but I had to do some registry work to get it all talking. KIP no longer supports this product so it's a bit tough.

Sounds like it would be easier if you could find a SCSI scanner models 2050, 2080, 2120 or 2160.

yankeeboy
intern

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We have a 2050 scanner with stand make an offer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 2000 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: