Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Dropping the controller off the network
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP software info.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slyman
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just in case, did you tried to force the controller card to be at 100Mb/s ? Maybe the customer use a gig network and make a conflict.

Also, did IT tried to change the network cable from original switch port to another port/switch ?

Did you tried to install a small 10/100 switch between their network and the controller ?

If there is a computer (another than controller) near the KC80, you can try to install a small switch on the near computer network cable and put a cable to reach the KC80 and another to PC (I try to eliminate the original KC80 network cable here, maybe there is some electrical noise on it)

For sure, as your replies, it come from the network.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sly: I don't know if they'be tried the 100Mb/s thing.

Cable has been changed and swapped = no change.

They have connected the controller to a small 5 port switch (hub) and connected another PC to the switch and it still disconnects the KC80.

Here's something new though, I found out that the customer did a switch change over before everything went bad. BUT they swear up and down that everything was labeled and re-installed correctly.

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would try what CJ said, take a few of their workstations and a switch and ask their IT dept to make a small independent network. That will confirm or eliminate their workstations configuration. Since they are most likely on a Microsoft domain, have them temporarily set the workstations to save the previous domain login credentials.

http://4sysops.com/archives/cached-domain-logon/

That way the workstations will function as if they were on the domain. If this works, it points to their network.

You might try traceroute to see where the packets are stopping:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traceroute

Something is seeing packets from that IP address on a non-standard port and is dropping that ip from the network. Sounds effective for security, but bad for a printer made by a manufacturer that decided to put their bi-directional communication on a non-standard port.

I do not know if this will work on a KC80, but see if you can create a new port for the printer but make it an LPR port not a RAW port. LPR ports are not bi-directional.
From "Kip 3000 user guide C2"

"The Microsoft provided TCP/IP Port Monitor can be used as an LPR/LPD type of port instead of the KIP0 port. During configuration of TCP/IP Port Monitor, LPR must be used, with LPR Byte Counting enabled. LPR/LPD implementation requires a Queue Name to be defined. Use KIP as the queue name, in all uppercase lettering. This is the name of the printer object on the KIP IPS by default."

I believe the newer Kips use "KIP1" as the queue name.
You can confirm, or change, the queue name in unattend (I think it is in unattend).

As a disclaimer, I have not worked as a network tech since Windows NT, so your mileage may vary.

Plus this titanium plate they put in my head keeps getting Mayan doomsday messages!!!!!
Of course the doomsday messages are saying we are NOT going to get hit with an asteroid and are doomed to be stuck with the same bull crap next year as this year.

Scott

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wait, you are saying they set up a computer, a switch and the printer - entirely disconnected from their network - and it still did the same thing?

That points to the workstation security settings.

Last edited by scott on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There you go, a change to the network. If IT missed a step setting up the switch that would explain the issues you're having. Didn't their IT swear they hadn't made any changes? Too bad they weren't upfront at the beginning of this adventure.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

Zoey
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We had this problem with our KC-80 all the time. Never did find a solution. I was happy when we sent that machine back. KIP kept saying it was our network's fault, yet nothing else on it was having issues. They even sent us a new controller to eliminate the controller was at fault. Wish I was more help to you!

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Still not resolved yet.

Zoey, How long did you have the KC80 for before you sent it back? Did KIP offer an explaination or just took it back? Did they come on-site? I'm trying to get them on-site but unless I can convince them 100% that it's with KIP, they are not budging.

Zoey
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We were one of the first few companies to get the KC-80's when they first came out. We kept it the whole period of the lease. They swapped out the whole printer at one point for a different issue. They also came on site quite a few times for various reasons. I can not say for sure if they came on site for this particular issue or not. I was just a service tech when the network issue happened. Our IT guy that handled that is not with us anymore. I pretty much took over his spot. From what I remember we tried everything that was suggested to no avail. I do remember them sending us some sort of .exe to run because they said we kept getting a virus that was corrupting things. We would run that every time it dropped off the network and that seemed to work for a few days. This was over a year ago so I am sorry I can not be more exact with my details.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Then it just baffles me that they say they've never encountered this disconnection issue with any KC80 before.

Rapids
medical school senior

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: .02 Reply with quote Back to top

I have seen this happen with some Gov. accounts. There is some kind of network security issue happening. When a non approved item shows up on a network, the security shuts down the port. To test this, have the problem occur, then plug your laptop into the port and see if it will DHCP an address.
If you have no access, it's on their IT!

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If it hasn't been done already make the printer a member of the domain.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP software info. All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: