Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

out of toner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 5000 Discussions (new)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yankeeboy
intern

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: out of toner Reply with quote Back to top

Every time my 5000 runs out of toner and i install a new one. i will get 2 or 3 prints out and then it tells me out of toner again. i then take out toner bottle reinstall it and it runs fine till it runs out totaly. what gives could it be the toner senor ?.

thanks for the input.

snap off
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe a longshot, but do you shake the bottle before you insert it, also i've seen a customer storing his bottle in upright position (which is not good at all)
the toner is completely at one end of the tube thus not delivering anything in dev hopper.

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Could be the toner motor too. Also, do you loosen the bottle when you first put it in? If not it could be that the motor isn't strong enough to crack it loose when it's new. Just a thought.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Could be the two little white gears are worn. The oilite bearings between the clutch and drive gears get gummy and will stall the motor. If it is the bearings you can oil them but they will gum up again. The toner cart assy needs to be pulled, taken apart, bearings cleaned or replaced and reinstalled.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

KIP Dude
resident

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: No toner Reply with quote Back to top

I'm just wondering if you remember what the final resolution was. I'm having a similar issue with a 5000 as well.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to withdraw my previous post, I was thinking 8000 not 5000....

RU1
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Add Toner issue Reply with quote Back to top

any update here? I have same issue, Motor working fine, do I need to order new DV unit?

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know the system is different but I had a similar problem with a 3000. Pulled the top off the developer assy and the toner was bridged under the opening blocking off the toner. I would at least take the top cover off and take a look.....

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As Mark has implied the issue is coming from the machine believing there isn't enough toner in the developer.

The Service Manual can be a little misleading. In the Signal List it shows two sensors. But clearly the ips5000 only has 1 sensor.

Basically if the machine believes it needs to add toner it activates the Toner Cartridge Motor. It will try to turn the Toner Cartridge in order to dump/add more toner into the Developer below.

While this is happening the CPU monitors the DVTNR1 sensor. It needs to read "H" vs "L". If after a period of time the CPU does not see the DVTNR1 switch to "H" it throws the Out Of Toner error.

The KIP cannot actually detect how much toner is in the Toner Cartridge. It only can detect what is in the Developer.

Many things can cause the machine to do this.

1) Clumpy Toner (toner won't pass through the port hole)
2) Blocked Opening (As Mark Suggested)
3) Faulty Toner Cartridge Motor (either the motor or the engagement drive. Just make sure it's actually turning the Cartridge)
4) Someone who added the new cartridge didn't' bother to unscrew it; expecting the Cartridge Motor to do it. It will not.
5) Faulty Toner Sensor
6) Faulty Toner Sensor Wiper
7) Chunky Toner built up on the part the Sensor Wiper wipes off.
Eight) Shorted wire or bad connection from the Toner Sensor to the CPU
9) Bad CPU
10) Unlikely and rare the Augers are not turning in the Developer

NOTE: If the level of toner is simply too it may keep throwing the out of toner error even if everything checks out.

This is because the KIP will only run the Cartridge Motor for a set time. If in that time the level isn't reached you get the error. Sometimes you will have to do this over and over again to get the level back up.

This has happened with a customer who didn't unscrew the cartridges. And to keep it printing they would keep opening and closing the door and did this over a period of days therefore depleting the developer.

I ended up just popping off the Hopper and adding toner manually just so you can see the top of the screws and putting it back together. You should verify sensor function if you do this. As you do not want to have the machine add too much toner. It will be quite a mess and could cause some damage.

You can verify if the CPU is reading the sensor in the Device Operation Mode. Here is the Signal Codes. Again I don't believe DVTNR2 is actually used. So I would focus on DVTNR1

Signal Code:0B |DVTNR1| Connector:J206- 5 |Deve Toner Remaining Data| L: No Toner Input

Signal Code:0C |DVTNR2| Connector:J206- 4 |Deve Toner Remaining Data| L: No Toner Input

If you have to replace the Sensor you should always use a Non-Magnetic screwdriver. Magnetizing the screws has caused issues with some of these type of KIP sensors.

Part numbers for the parts are:

9000500182 Toner Sensor
6601700900 Wiper Sensor

Good luck! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 5000 Discussions (new) All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: