Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Oce training...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJG
medical school grad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Oce training... Reply with quote Back to top

I'm out in Chicago for my first Oce class. I was surprised how much larger the Oce facility is compared to KIPs. The warehouse is at least 2-3 times larger, the office space is larger and on 2 floors. They also have at least 6 training rooms. The print quality is impressive. The gray scales are a lot better and the machines are built like tanks. Spent the first 3 days on the controller. And moving on to the machine for the next 4 days. I'm liking Oces so far.

GR81
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

LOL, that will change in a hurry.
Check back in a year.
By then you will see how many drums you go through and how often you need to replace the developer.
Wait till your Lotus Notes go down on your laptop and Oce won't help you.
Wait till your Oce needs an update and Oce makes you spend $500.00 for it.
Wait till you tell you customer you need to spend $1,000.00 for the accounting feature or $6000.00 to upgrade your software.
Careful when you are at the class and they offer you the Koolaid!
Don't drink it!!

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I guess it depends on how you approach the issue. As I recall, OCE only charges for optional retrofits. The safety and performance kits were shipped automatically at no charge. I have to admit it's been a while since I was involved, as a dealer/service manager, but as a rule the support side was at least average sometimes above average. And everyone in the training department, with one exception, were willing to help wherever necessary. And no, I don't/didn't work for them. FWIW, at least OCE tech support would answer calls without waiting for a callback from some (KIP) tech in the field driving around with the window open making a conversation impossible. That doesn't apply to the West coast software support, always helpful and knowledgable.

Neither of these companies is even close to the support and help the people using this board have been.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

GR81
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No, unfortunately you have to pay for the performance kits as well, that's what's so frustrating about OCE.
Don't get me wrong, KIP is not any better in fact our company will not even call for hardware support with KIP. Software is good.
But KIP does not go around saying they are the greatest and there machine will never brake down like OCE does.
The cost of everything OCE is just crazy.
We have around 30 OCE's out in the field that we maintain, we also have around 300 KIP's.
Our cost on parts per year is almost the same, so it is costing us ten times more to maintain the OCE's than the KIP's.
The killer with OCE is the Developer and the Drums, you go through a lot.
Back when KIP had the 2000 and the 8000 and OCE had the TDS400 and the TDS600, yes OCE was "WAY" better.
Now with the Plotwave 300 and the TDS750 there machines brakedown as much as the KIP's do.
They also need to get rid of the Lotus Notes it's outdated in todays service world and it hurts them way more than helps them.

Chazbo
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I want Diazo back! no controller, no software, no drivers, no network, no licensing, no laptop, no toner, no developer

GR81
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

LOL, Amen brother!!

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You'll get no arguement from me, I'm not up on the new OCE gear. As to your high parts cost on OCE, are you using the third party parts guys out there? There are several that could save you on parts cost unless you are getting dealer pricing from OCE.

CARBON PAPER!! My kingdom for a sheet of carbon paper....Weren't blueprint machines steam powered?

Chazbo
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Diazo Machines?

I thought you taped original and coated paper to a window for exposure and then placed coated paper in a closed tube with a dish of ammonia at the bottom. God help you on cloudy days and forget printing at night.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Never had a stuffy nose when I worked on Diazo machine. Then again I can't smell anything anymore.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Chaz, are you old enough to remember Mr Wizard?

Chazbo
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Don Herbert : I watched him every Sunday

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Your blueprint comment reminded me of some of the experiments he would demo. The man was a god when I was growing up, couldn't wait to get outside and blow something up after the show. Couldn't do that that today, someone would sue or claim some gnat was harmed.

AJG
medical school grad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mark in vegas wrote:
FWIW, at least OCE tech support would answer calls without waiting for a callback from some (KIP) tech in the field driving around with the window open making a conversation impossible. That doesn't apply to the West coast software support, always helpful and knowledgable.

Neither of these companies is even close to the support and help the people using this board have been.

That's what I noticed at Oce. An entire department with people at desks and their only job is answering tech support calls. At KIP, you're lucky to get someone when you call the first time. And even luckier to get a call back. Also had a tour of the place and saw their flat bed printers and their cutting machines. Some pretty cool stuff.

GR81
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The OCE Arizona is so cool, and the Pagestreams just blow you away they are so fast.

AJG
medical school grad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

GR81 wrote:
The OCE Arizona is so cool, and the Pagestreams just blow you away they are so fast.

Yeah. They had stuff printed by that in their cafeteria. Some nice stuff. They also had a 3D poster they printed. That was awesome. Everybody in the class was impressed by that. Looked like you could reach out and grab the bottle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: