Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Wire cleaning pad "hanging" over center of print w

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 8000 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DHolland
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Wire cleaning pad "hanging" over center of print w Reply with quote Back to top

The main charge wire cleaning pad stops long before returning to its home position, leaving a 3/4" solid black stripe leading edge to trailing edge. Nothing is binding or hanging and a KIP tech from Michigan suggested I wedge paper between the wire cleaning motor and its housing to ensure good gear contact (no fixie fixie).
I have ordered a new motor and gear this morning, but was wondering what else I should/could be looking at to fix this guy.

Thanks

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not the motor. Never the motor. It's always in the linkage. Pull the worm gear shaft out clean it completely. Also clean the sides of the case that the slider slides on. Very important. Make sure everything is really clean and you can also put a little dab of light oil at either end of the worm shaft. Works wonders.
Remember people it is never the motor. Kip sells a lot of motors to replace perfectly good motors.

Hey maybe you can ask that "kip tech from Michigan" for the part number for that official fix of stuffing paper into the mechanism. Are you sure the janitor didn't answer the phone by mistake.
Unbelievable.

DevilDawg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This might not be related, but I have the new style main charge assembly that has the support brace in the middle. It looks like the wire cleaners do not clear the bracket on only go half way. Any Idea's?

ServiceDude
intern

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I totally agree with Kipdoctor. Make sure that you clean it or at least check it every PM! I know that it's not a part of official KIP PM schedule but it has to be done.

DHolland

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the quick answers and advice. I took the assembly apart and, while there was some toner build-up around the plastic end pieces, it wasn't much. I cleaned it all, lubed it all and so far, no stripes. I'll keep an eye on it and keep you updated.

Thanks

james
resident

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I found that the wire cleaner plastic assy's stick up too high and run into the new style support bracket. Because it can't clear the bracket, the back half of the charge wires never get cleaned by the machine and the cleaner assy will stop in different positions.

I cut the top off of all the plastic wire cleaners with a pair of dikes, enough so that they clear the support bracket.

That resolved our black line problems.

tech2tech
doctor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Remove the wire cleaning pad and perform a pm every 100,000 sq. ft. never a problem. Same for print head cleaner.

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Or you could keep the cleaning pad mechanisms working and PM every 500,000. What ever works for you.

tech2tech
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have not seen one that would go 500,000sq.ft before needing one of the following done; exit fingers cleaned, grid screen cleaned, print head cleaned, wires replaced, ozone filters vaccumed, dev assy cleaned out or spacer wheels replaced. I think in short we all need to do what is best for our customers. For me I prefer to do a monthly pm on my customers 8000's so they never call me with a down machine, and as far as removing the pads I was just giving a suggestion of what works for me to eliminate service calls and copy quality issues. I thought thats what we all are doing.

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Monthly PMs, yes.
I have one customer thats runs 500,000 a month on the unit.
Having to service every 100,000 is just too frequent for most of my heavy users. All I am saying is that if the cleaning mechanism are working the way they are intended to, then your PM schedule should fall in somewhere between 250,000 and 500,000. I also have one customer (not contract) that calls me in for service every 1,000,000. Whether it needs it or not.

Cabok
intern

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

James and DevilDawg are correct, the wire cleaners are too high, and on some machines will hit the "bridge" in the middle. I currently have only one machine doing this, of course I tought it was toner on the worm shaft, so it was cleaned and lubed. I had a call the next day for the same thing, and after looking closer at the cleaning ass'y we really could see one of the two fingers on top hitting the bridge. I just snapped a couple of mm off of that finger and this machine is going strong since then. You just have to leave you a note on the service card to cut off the next wire cleaner on the next PM, it's easy to forget, and if you have other techs servicing the same machine, that should give them a hint.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 8000 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: