Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

constant connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 6000 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlaw
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: constant connection Reply with quote Back to top

The kip 6000 i am working on lost the ability to plot last week, and after reinstalling the software, i am able to print, however the connection isn't constant. When i ping -t to the plotter i get about 10-20 good connections, and then for about 5 it times out, and then goes back to a good connection, then repeats.

Any suggestions? thank you in advance.

phan6622
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds to me to be a bad motherboard on the controller. I assume your nic cable plugs directly into the motherboard on your model. You may be able to locate a replacement.. otherwise you might have to replace the controller (minus if card) from KIP. Before I did any of that.. I would swap out all communication items in between... new NIC cable, new plug in the wall, different port in a switch... different port on the patch panel...

tlaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: more information Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for the info. I replaced the cables and the switch prior to posting the first time. I know the switch is good because when i ping the other printer hooked up to the switch, i don't get a collision error like i do for the kip. The collision error isn't constant. I get a good connection and then it drops and then goes back to a good connection. The other thing i notice is the kip request software tells me "failed to get server address", so i think the kip isn't constantly connecting.

Thanks again.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Try the power supply on the printer. I know it sound crazy, but I had the same exact issue on a KIP2000. It would connect, then no connection, intermittantly. Take the cover off and next time there is no connection go look at the fan on the power supply or the lights by the ethernet connection. Don't forget that even if the controller shuts off, the machine can stay on and you 'd never know it. You'd only lose connection and go crazy checking everything in between. I know, I've been there. Hope this helps.

tlaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

OK, so i replaced the power supply, and now i am getting a constant connection without any collisions! Woo Hoo!!
Now, my next issue is i think while the collision errors were causing issues, people were trying to print WAY too much, and i can't get request to connect. I am getting "NOT CONNECTED" shown in the request, and at the bottom, it says "NO ROLL INFORMATION FOUND". When i try and go to the manage print queue, I get the following "VNC INFO" at the top of the box, with the message "FAILED TO GET SERVER ADDRESS. DID YOU TYPE THE HOST NAME CORRECTLY?"

Any ideas, recommendations or fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

ladibug
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: No Connection to server Reply with quote Back to top

So did you ever get a reply? Hope you haven't been disconnected for six years Shocked

Quote:
I am getting "NOT CONNECTED" shown in the request, and at the bottom, it says "NO ROLL INFORMATION FOUND".

This is what I've got going on with SP5000. I can scan-to-print but Request cannot connect; cannot manage, won't ping to printer (controller).

So I was wondering how you solved this Question

ladibug
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: No Connection Reply with quote Back to top

I know this is for another machine but Request does work when the printer is turned on with a monitor and keyboard attached. Rolling Eyes Have no idea... but at least I can stop plotting my prints. Everybody happily pings each other but it won't stay this way after printer is turned off.

Must have monitor attached to printer controller for Request to connect; then monitor can be disconnected. Have no idea why but it's a work around.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Request is it's own software. When you install it on a workstation, you have to find the printer and connect the two together.

When you shut off the printer, the controller also shuts down, so you would not be able to ping the controller, when it's off.

Honoestly, I don't know how attaching a monitor to the controller can make or break the connection. Are you saying that you need the monitor connected to the controller so that the Request from other workstations can connect to the controller? What software version are you using? Can you go to a workstation and find the root folder of the Request software and see if there is the VNCViewer.exe in there? I know the SP5000 is older and I don't remember when KIP started attaching the VNCViewer, but are you familiar with it and how to use it? If the VNCVIewer exists, power on the printer without the monitor attached and see if you can VNC into the controller. If so, you should see on your screen exactly what you would see on the monitor that was connected to it.

ladibug
medical school grad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dlee, that's exactly what I'm saying! After 13 years it's come to this - a monitor must be plugged into controller in order for Request to see it and connect. I'm running v5.2 because the 5.3 didn't have printer driver and I didn't want to go above that due to having to update the controller. It does not have an Internet connection and this has worked fine for me until now. Other computers have Request v 6 and 7 for converting pdf files only.

Once the work station is connected I can unplug the monitor from controller and all is well. I will see if the VNC.exe got lost from root folder however and thank you for the suggestion. But that is exactly what happens when I try to connect without second monitor - VNC Error: "cannot connect to server".

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Log into the controller, delete the NIC and allow Windows to reinstall it, then make sure the IP is static.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

ladibug
medical school grad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Mark, will give it a try - this Monitor business is getting old already!

TXReproShop
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is that still a NT controller on that machine?

ladibug
medical school grad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh yeah, almost an antique!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 6000 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: