Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

New 5000 developer units have a problem.UPDATED 5-14-08!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 5000 Discussions (new)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: New 5000 developer units have a problem.UPDATED 5-14-08!!! Reply with quote Back to top

Yes that is what I am hearing through the pipeline. Look for a possible silent recall/modification for this.

As you may know the 5000 dev unit and field upgraded 6000 dev unit use a brush style supply roller rather than the sponge type used in other units.
What we have seen happen in the 5000 dev units in just 140,000 sq ft is this new style brush is way too coarse. It is actually leaving minute surface scratches in the surface of the developer roller. You can see this on the prints. To fix it you must replace the dev roller. It can not be refreshed like the sponge type of units. So this new and improved dev unit is now actually costing you more money to maintain than the sponge type of units. At least the older style units were able to be refreshed multiple times thus saving us all tons of cash. The really scary thing is that this newer type of unit is of the same style that is being used in the new 9000. You have to wonder. Did they do this on purpose to sell more parts? You can decide.

Last edited by KIPDOCTOR on Wed May 14, 2008 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Doc,

Have you heard if they are going to change this developer style back to the foam style or not? I normally purchase an extra developer from each machine but I am reluctant to buy one that is going to be replaced with a better one.

Also, I talked to KIP about this and they said, "Where did you hear that?" I said "the street". They would not give me any info on this and acted like they never heard about it. Sounded like BS to me. I get that a lot from them.

Anyhow, thanks for any additional light you can shed on this.

Cobra
medical school senior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I thik they were trying to get away from the foam style roller and had no idea the new brush roller would be an issue. You mentioned the 9000 having the same style supply roller. Have you heard about it causing any problems with that model?

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

not yet on the 9000. We are awaiting our first 9000 unit to refresh. We should know soon.

Cobra
medical school senior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We don't have a 9000, so I was wondering if the 9000 developer unit has those plastic plates sitting underneath the developer roller too? That's what's causing the wear in the developer rollers on the 5000. The new developer rebuild kits have you remove those plastic guides completely and install a seal along with 2 resized gears. From what I can see....the supply roller appears to look the same as the old one.

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Doc told you this was coming and here it is. What it does not say is how K Mart plans to correct the improper design of all the older units out there. It's just like K Mart to fix a design problem and then charge it's dealers for the thier flaw. Nice.

KIP Technical Bulletin
TB - K109 - 015
The KIP 5000 developer rebuild kit has been modified to include new gears & new lower seals,
which are to be installed during the next developer rebuild on the KIP 5000.
The change in gears reduce the amount of torque in the assembly and the seals will replace
the supply roller scraper fingers (rake).
The following pages notes the procedure. The directions for gear installation / seal placement
will also be included in each developer rebuild kit. ( Part Number Z090980051 )
This enhancement will be included in production machines commencing with
serial number 10901592.

Big Kahuna
medical school grad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We've done this modification on most of our 5000 it's not easy and time consuming but so far we haven't heard any from our customers yet regarding print quality issue. Let us wait and see that's all we can do right now.

MarkII
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have lots of 5000 in this side of the world and the Doc is right it is leaving fine scratches on the dev roller which is diffucult to correct without replacement and oftentimes will damaged the OPC. I had cases of untimely OPC replacement because of the said issue. Doc do we have any update to refute or help us in thid delimam I should say!

Many thanks!

DCP00
medical school senior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reduction Gear Kit Reply with quote Back to top

There is a fix it is a Reduction gear kit. You replace the brush plates with a seal and there is new gears for developer roller and supply roller.

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is true, the fix has been available for a while. The problem is that K Mart wants you to pay for it. Around $700. Nice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 5000 Discussions (new) All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: