Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Touchscreen shows garbled image...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phan6622
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Touchscreen shows garbled image... Reply with quote Back to top

When booting the controller, I see the MSI screen properly. I took the controller to our office and ghosted it. After ghost, a standard monitor shows the same garbled screen... I can kind of make out the kip logo, and there is a cursor shown. My plan is to replace the motherboard. Anyone have any idea whats going on? One other thing.. the controller seemed abnormally hot when I took it ouf of the machine, especially the bottom of it. I verified all fans are working.

phan6622
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Turned out to be a over heat issue. When te contoller had a coupel hours to cool, it would work fine for 10 minutes before heating back up.. Seamed to be a motherboard issue. I replaced the IPS minus the IF card ang got it going.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think that Kip has seen a problem witht he controllers over heating. I just noticed that they changed the back cover that you remove to get to the controller and added more vent holes on the top side I think so it stays a little cooler.

phan6622
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That may be the case... I can tell you that this was not a ventalation issue. Something on the motherboard was heating up to the point that the bottom of the controller was "hot"... Also.. the controller showed the same bad images on a monitor when it was running on a workbench with the cover off. (after 5 - 10 minutes)

Also.. I just found out the hard way that you can not enter a keycode while the controller is not in the machine... the if cable needs to be connected to the if card in order for the controller to accept the keycode.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ran into this problem on Monday. Exact symptoms as you indicated. Good for about 10 min. after overnight shut down, then garbled. It also kept giving me an error that the "ialmrnts display driver has stopped working properly". I went and downloaded a new driver but it didn't help. Then I tried re-ghosting, also no help. Only possible fix was to replace the IPS, but using the IF card out of the old IPS. Everything seems fine now.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Are these IPS that everyone is having a problem with, the white IPS's or the newer black style IPS's? I have awhite IPS that I am having the same type of problems with and was just wondering.

Last edited by CHILLIN on Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

jeremy
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: white IPS Reply with quote Back to top

I have had about 6 white IPS units fail.
Also If you have an old enough 3000 good luck getting a new black IPS unit to fit in where the White one came out.
IT IS BIGGER!
So you might want to bring a hacksaw or a big pair of plyers you will need them.
Some newer printer have brackets you can remove but not the earlier ones.
Also it you have a 300 stacker behind the printer and you have to replace a white controller with a black one the sensor brackets will not work.
They are up to high with the new conroller.

phan6622
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The problem I had was on a white one... I also noticed that the Black ones don't fit in where the whites ones come out of... not unbelievable... When I ordered the replacement, KIP sent me the correct size for the machine I had.... The only time you should have a problem is when you are trying toi swap controllers for troubleshooting.

charred
intern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

we ran into our first one with this problem. of course its 4 hours away, and apparently the ips's are backordered.

charred
intern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Update:
talked to kip, and they said it is probably the integrated video card conflicting with the motherboard, so they suggested getting a new video card and installing that and trying that out. i got the video card in the controller but cannot install the driver for it because the machine keeps locking up before i can install the driver. Evil or Very Mad
so we are shipping the controller to kip today

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, so far it has happened on two machines. One was a non-contract and they ended up buying a new IPS, using their original IF card. The other was a customer and we had to ship it to KIP for them to resolve for me. The integrated video card was conflicting with the motherboard like charred said. I believe they changed out the integrated video card. No, I think they changed the whole box, because it had a different PPEC # on the box when I got it back, now I remember. Either way, I don't think I was charged for it, but it worked.

ser4OCE!
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Had the same issue on an older 3000 with the white IPS. Found out the hard way that the newer controllers are slightly taller AND the structural support beam is not notched on the older 3000 engine.

We had to order a new IPS WITH the IF board as KIP told me they didnt sell them individually. We also had to buy new keycodes. All in all, it was $6000 for a new IPS. Allegedly, we will get credit for the IF board and the new codes when we return the old IPS.

-ser4OCE!

ser4OCE!
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Had the same issue on an older 3000 with the white IPS. Found out the hard way that the newer controllers are slightly taller AND the structural support beam is not notched on the older 3000 engine.

We had to order a new IPS WITH the IF board as KIP told me they didnt sell them individually. We also had to buy new keycodes. All in all, it was $6000 for a new IPS. Allegedly, we will get credit for the IF board and the new codes when we return the old IPS.

-ser4OCE!

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, those keycodes are a killer on pricing but I think you will get the credit. I had to do the same thing for one of my customers. Call KC3 to confirm the RA and credit. It doesn't hurt to include on the RA,the name of the person that informed you of the credit. "I talked to (so and so) and they confirmed that I would get the credit". Not sure how it works now though, since they switched over to a new IPS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: