Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Network Cable unplugged

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charred
intern

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Network Cable unplugged Reply with quote Back to top

3.5 hours away and i have a customer with a 3k with this problem.

i checked with a crossover cable to my laptop: connects fine.
i then checked with the original patch cable from the wall to my laptop: connects fine.

but for some reason, the controller is not connecting using the patch cable plugged into the wall. no activity/link lights on the controller either, except when i use the crossover with my laptop.

was on the phone with the customers IT dept, and they say nothing is blocked, etc. should be fine.

calling kip was useless. they said they dont know anything about networking.

i am just confused, the nic card should be fine, since i can connect to my laptop with it. their cable and wall connection are fine (also tried with my own cable) becaus i can connect using my laptop. they also have IP phones and that works in 3k's spot on the wall, but the 3k again doesnt show any activity at all plugged into any jack
Confused Confused Confused Confused

i cannot even pinpoint it down to our problem or theirs right now, unless i swapped the nic

cmwade77
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would guess that the KIP doesn't like being plugged into a jack and needs a physical cable run back to the router or that the patch cable that is being used is faulty and is only working part of the time.

mrcmyk
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You tried anouther CAT5 ( non-crossover) KIP to wall and it didn't work, ok. I would put a cheap 4 port hub/switch at the wall outlet. and insure the unit gets a "go" on the uplink port. then plug the KIP into the HUB / switch.

the building wiring may be just flaky enough to fail on 1 unit but work on another. The hub/switch may help to regenerate the signal. I had this happen one time and my proof was a 50 ft cat5 running down the hall to another drop.

"It's not a BUG, It's an undocumented special feature"

charred
intern

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

this machine has been there for a year and has been working fine, so im not sure what changed. i took the controller with me and will bring it to the office tomorrow and plug it in there and check it out and see if i get any activity. if we get activity there with a regular patch cable, it will tell us the problem is on their end, otherwise if we get no activity we will look into replacing the nic if possible

the machine is in a construction trailer 3.5 hours away

charred
intern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

update: tested the controller on a different network (our office) and it works fine. something, not sure what, is the matter on the customers end.

Confused

MyFirstPlotter
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Try and plug the network cable from the customers wall jack directly to the IPS and see if the problem goes away. We have seen in some installs that the small "patch" cable leading from the IPS to the outside of the machine is faulty or is not punched down correctly. If the IPS gets connectivity then you know that the small patch cable is the problem.

Thanks

charred
intern

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yeah i checked that too. during troubleshooting i was plugging directing into the ips

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had this same problem at a customer. After I reset the power to their switch, the problem went away.

charred
intern

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

k, found the solution to this. looking at the properties or the network adapter, go to configure, and under advanced you can change it from autodetect and set the network speed. the adapter was set to autodetect(like normal) and when we changed it to 100Mpbs/Half Duplex it worked fine.

charred
intern

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

we are gong to just buy another network card and replace it next time we go down there. is there a certain one we should get or will any work fine?

Neil Johnston
doctor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Can you do that? Is there space in the case for another PCI card?

You may want to call Kip before you put a card in there. The IPS interface controls the onboard NIC only. If you put another card in there you'll have to configure it with and mouse and keyboard. Make sure the onboard NIC is still installed on the IPS though, even if you're not using it. The Keycodes are authenticated using that NIC.
www.PlotTrackerPro.com - Kip Accounting Software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: