Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

PDFs through Adobe vs. Request

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tabcom
medical school grad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: PDFs through Adobe vs. Request Reply with quote Back to top

Mr. Customer's print quality of pdf's through Adobe looks fine. However, when he tags the same pdfs in Request, the print quality looks light, i. e. lines become grey scaled.

Has anyone seen this before?
Why is Request interpeting the pdf differently then Adobe?

Neil Johnston
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Make sure you have the latest software first of all. Then check out the [RasterScaling] section of your Unattend INI file. You can control your PDF density there I believe.

tabcom
medical school grad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have Request 6.2 loaded.

Where can I find the .ini file that allows me to change the value of the RasterScaling?

I've been looking around in the C:\Program Files\KIP\Request folder. I can't locating a file nor a setting.

Neil Johnston
doctor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry, my mistake. This setting can only control standard raster file quality. PostScprit images are not effected. Here's an explaination of the switches anyway. Direct from the manual... (winuntd.ini is found on the controller in C:\program files\kip\unattend)

Added Enhancements to full and half Size Printing of Raster Data – designed to improve full and half size printing of heavy Raster data. The INI settings allow the technician to specify at what “Raster Density” the Powerprint software applies a Dither Pattern and Density Setting. This is very similar to applying a Dither Pattern and Density Setting to RTL data, but this now applies for Raster Data (TIF, Cals, TLC, NOT JPEG).

RasterThreshold1=2.8
RasterThreshold2=11
RasterSetting1=
RasterSetting2=-Z –W 100 –u 0
RasterSetting3=-q 1 –W 75

Here’s how the features work:
A. Below RasterThreshold1, it best to apply a no setting command, (EG: RasterSetting1=
“blank”). Leave blank. Most “line” images fall under 2.8, these don’t need any further
settings.
B. Between RasterThreshold1 and RasterThreshold2; RasterSetting2 will be used.
C. Above RasterThreshold2; RasterSetting3 will be used.
Switches

These three switches must be used in conjunction with each other .
-Z - Photo Mode ON
-W 100 - Raster Density, lower numbers will “lighten” data.
-u 0 - Raster Dither Pattern, values include 0,4,6, or 8. Same as RTL Density values.

These two switches must be used in conjunction with each other and BOTH must be used
together.
-q 1 – utilizes a “random” dither pattern, better for non-continuous tone images.
-W 75 - Raster Density, lower numbers will “lighten” data.

Neil Johnston
doctor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A customer of mine did have the same complaint a couple weeks back on their 7000. I showed them how to change the Dither in User Mode. You may be able to adjust the dither on the 3000 (via service menu) and achive a darker look because of a tighter dither.

KIPROD

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

select KIP Script on output format (properties of the driver) and see if that makes it look better

pq
resident

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kip script setting is in the windows driver, he already said the prints look find through Adobe

tabcom
medical school grad

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've attempted to change the WinUntd.ini files RasterThreshold settings on the controller as outlined in the previous post. The results are the same.

To best describe what is happening to the prints, imagine trying to print out the grid of a football field. Imagine that instead of every line 5 yards apart being a solid line, about half of the lines are dotted lines, that is, they are not solid lines. The output image is a mix of solid and dotted lines.

Somehow the kip driver is interpeting the pdf files solid lines and printing out something not solid.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is the exact same issue that we are having, please email me at [email protected] with any fix that you have found for this, PDFs were workign great until we upgraded to 6.2 and all.

tabcom
medical school grad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I followed-up with the customer last week regarding different print qualities within adobe vs. request. What the customer did that worked was to create a new port through adobe and print to the KIP3000 via the newly created port. His print quality issues were resolved.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Could you explain a little more by when you say "create a new port through adobe"? I'm not sure what you mean by that, thanks

tabcom
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

>>Could you explain a little more by when you say "create a new port through adobe"?

The customer decided to print his pdf's exclusively through Adobe.
Apparently, the c:\Programs\DS\Pscript.exe file is not interepting his drawing correctly and he has elected to not us Request.

pq
resident

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kip knows about this on the 3000 and they are working on it; contact kip digital support for details

tabcom
medical school grad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What my customer did was download a freeware program that prints his pdf files to the KIP3000 without any errors:

http://www.pdf995.com/

He has been using it for a couple months now.
I checked in with him today and it works just fine. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: