Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Really smart engineer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> The service call from hell.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Really smart engineer. Reply with quote Back to top

OK, so I was just getting ready to call it a day when one of my customers called me and said they had a little toner spill. They asked if I could come in and clean it up because the toner was dropping on the prints. I said sure, but how much toner was spilled? ( They had a SP 5000). The guy said " a little". I said a little wouldn't really cause much of a problem. Then he opened up a bit to me. It seems one of the engineers had come in and saw the toner light on and thought he was qualified to add toner. So then I asked to speak to the engineer. He got on the phone and immediately started complaining about how hard it was to add toner on this machine. I said how do you mean? He said well, it's really hard to pull the plastic off of the cartridge and then flip it over really fast without the toner flying all over the place. I said did you ever think of putting the cartridge in place and then removing the plastic? Dead silence. I then suggested he stick to designing bridges and leave the real complicated stuff to people that were qualified to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just today I was in the Engineering Dept. of our local university checking out a call for their Contex scanner I installed with their 2003 printer. An engineer was scanning a large number of originals and complained of sheets skewing and jamming.
This particular scanner has two independently adjustable height "sliders" so I immediately thought one was up or the feed rollers were scuzzy. Nobody there wanted to touch the "evil machine" so I trekked out to see it.
The lid wasn't even closed. The right side was latched and the left was sky high open. I grabbed the IT guy nearest the scanner, extended my index finger and deftly pressed the offending lid into place. He sighed, I laughed, and they PAID for that service call!
Sorry to turn the thread into an engineering joke, but often it's just too easy.

jojobutthead
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Mechanical Engineer PHD and the Bumble Bee Reply with quote Back to top

The head of a local Ivy League Mechanical Engineering school. Many moons ago shared with me a letter that he wrote to a guy named Thomas Watson (the founding father of IBM). It seems that IBM was interested in buying up the newly patented Xerographic principle. His position at the time (1949) was a mechanical engineer at Bell Labs testing new patents for saleable ideas. His letter was of that it would never work and if anyone ever attempted it they soon would abandon such a stupid notion. The incorpaoration of dirt (toner) into the mechanical systems in its self lended to using a more easy controlled system using chemicals and treated paper.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> The service call from hell. All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: