Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

7170K wigged out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 7170 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p51d007
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: 7170K wigged out Reply with quote Back to top

7170K, about 3-4 months ago, the outlet that the machine was connected to, went bad (steel manufacturing company). They had to have the utility company replace a faulty line transformer. Machine just freaked out, display scrambled. I powered off, unplugged, and waited 10 minutes, rebooted, everything was good. (it's on an ESP power filter now).
Today, got a call said the machine was "stuck". Customer also said that for the past couple days, when he sent print jobs, the machine was taking a while before it started printing.
Got there, checked the log on the power filter, no issues.
Machine has the sysK startup screen with the wait circle running in the foreground, and the normal menu barely visible in the background. Tried to do a restore, but can't find the disk. Looked all over the controller, it isn't there.
Anyone know of a way to get it other than KIP?

rpscdm
medical school senior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The disk maybe taped to the D-CON cover, behind left side panel.

p51d007
medical school grad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's back up and running...took a new DC controller to fix it. Guess that power problem 3-4 months ago must have zapped it.
Brought the old box back and of course took it apart. NOW I see why the 7170 is SO FLIPPING slow to start up from powered off.
Popped the fan/heat sink off the CPU....it's an Intel CELERON 2.5Ghz!
And a whopping 2GB ram. The stick looks like a PC133 stick.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would have done a "Clean Database" before replacing the controller. If you have the controller at the shop, can you hook it up to another KIP? When KIP first came out with the System K, some of the KIP7170s would stay on that start up screen for a very long time or it would take forever to "coast" a print job. KIP would have me go "Clean Database" and it would fix the lagging issue. Every time I have lag issues, that's the first thing I do now and I'd say more than 85% of the time it fixes the issue.

But with the power issue, it could be more than cleaning database.

p51d007
medical school grad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I didn't want to replace it. When I called the tech line, the first thing they mentioned was the controller. When that power problem hit it, I would rather just have their insurance company write it off because I just don't like having to service anything that has taken a hit on the line. You sometimes end up chasing ghosts forever.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, you're right, especially if they're going to write it off, might as well just replace the controller.

p51d007
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I should bill them for it...but, I doubt our sales will do it.
Ran for 3 days, then started printing blank again. Customer said after
it went into sleep mode, when he printed, they came out blank.
Pulled the history from the ESP/Amtek power filter.... JUST since
last summer, 999 UNDER volts, 20 surges, 3 power failures.
After rebooting, it was fine.
Gee, you think the under volts might have taken out the controller?
I should have looked at it first, but, I didn't.
Oh...it's in a STEEL production plant...lots of welding. Last fall, they
had a power transformer that had to be replaced.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Printing blank sheets could be a few things. It's almost impossible to diagnose if after you reboot and it works fine. If you have the service manual, do the checks for Completely White (No Image) on page 7-31. I wouldn't put it pass having to replace the DC Controller board (PW13420), especially with their history of power issues.

p51d007
medical school grad

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Well it has a new problem Reply with quote Back to top

Now, it's the scanner that is the problem.
The color & b&w scans are uneven density wise. When you try to do the shading, it errors, with CIS #4 blinking red. Last time it did this, it was the scanner controller. So before replacing it again, I reseated all the IPS connections and even swapped a couple of the USB connectors to other USB ports, to see if I would get a different problem.
When I tried to go back into service mode, it pops up a "comm error". Then it will allow you into the service menu, you hit the home button to bring up the menu & half of the buttons are missing.
Called tech support, said it was either then DC controller or the usb cable from the IPS to DC controller.

Like I mentioned, I think this machine got a power surge around the first part of the year. I'd like to write it off, but you know how sales is...

p51d007
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After going back & forth with swapping CIS units, I just said SCREW it and replaced all 5 CIS units at the same time (still under warranty).
Finally, the shading correction completely properly. And after getting the
the stitching done, the scanner is finally FIXED!

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice! Thanks for the update.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 7170 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: