Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Building department document lock

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Building department document lock Reply with quote Back to top

The local building department is now requiring all plans be submitted in digital form after which the building department locks the submitted plans. Problem is the lock logo contains color and when the customer tries to print the plans with the lock in place the 7100 displays the message indicating the document can't be printed with the current licensing (no color print). The customer can save the job as a PDF, mail the PDF to themselves and when the PDF is opened the document lock is striped away (usually) and the file prints as it should. Any of you seen this issue and if you have a work around please share it.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If memory serves me correctly, production used to get PDFs that had locks on them and were unable to print via WPD. I'd have them print the same PDFs thru KIP Request and they were able be printed. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try that. I don't know if KIP Print or PrintPro is the same.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Forgot to mention that their IT is pushing the printer out from the server. I've asked them to remove that from their user profile and let me do a local install to see if that changes anything. I'll repost if this gets solved. I don't know if it matters, the customer is using the web client on the 7100 to process print jobs.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure what you mean by pushing the printer out from the server? Everyone is using a shared print driver that is installed on the server? I'm no IT person but from what I think I know, if they are using the web client (PrintNET), it should bypass any driver controlled by the server. I just don't know if that'll unlock the PDF.

See if they'll let you put one of the PDFs on a thumb drive. Then unplug the KIP from their network and plug in your laptop directly to the KIP. Then use what means you can from your laptop to send to the KIP without it displaying the lock message. I've seen with my own eyes that it's worked with KIP request, I just never used KIP Print or PrintPRO, so I can't speak for them. Worst case, see if you can take that PDF and convert it to a PDF inside of Request. Maybe that might take the lock away. I don't know if KIP Convert would do the same thing.

Sorry, about throwing all these suggestions at you.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great information! I'll see if I can get the customer to give me enough time to play.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Or if they're willing...have them send you a known "locked" pdf and you can work on it at your office.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's too logical. I'll see if they will allow any of the documents out of their control. Some of the projects around here are heavily secure document wise. You know, secret tunnels, dungeons and the like........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 7100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: