Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Drum Burn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Placebo
intern

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Drum Burn Reply with quote Back to top

I have a 7100 in the field that likes to eat drums it seems. While I don't have a lot of experience on these machines it seems like the left side of the drum is getting light burn after only being in the machine for less than a year. This is the third drum it will need in a two year span and their volume is relatively low.

The printer is in a room where absolutely no sunlight gets in. This makes me wonder if it is possible for the fuser lamps to cause drum burn if there is something missing that would normally block the light from the lamps. Longshot I know but I am at a loss on this one.

tech2tech
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Do you see marks on the drum. Check the cleaning roller and confirm it has not hardened or that it does not have a toner build up. You should also refurbish the dev roller. That is the only 2 things making contact except the media.

Placebo
intern

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nothing really visible on the drum that I can see. It is one of the blue aftermarket drums but we have never had issues with them before.

I didn't check the cleaning roller but that would make sense. The dev unit is in need of a refresh so I will try that and check the cleaning roller when I am there.

Thank you very much!!

tjohnson
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There are only 2 things that contact the drum, the cleaning roller and the developer roller. If the developer unit is overdue for a kit that may be your problem. I would also check corona height and bias count settings. I've never used aftermarket drums but my initial guess is that is probably the problem. This model is sensitive to bias counting and auto corrections.

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There are problems with the aftermarket drum. I've talked with others and they said the Blue drums use to be the best and now not so much.

The company that was making them properly sold their operation to a Pharmaceuticals company I was told.

Anyways people had been reporting inconsistent coating with air bubbles that would pop and leave blank spots.

I think KIP fixed the issue they were having with their drums. You may just have to try one as a test.

I really doubt the fuser light is causing this. If fuser light was actually hitting the drum you would have black prints in those areas.

Also I have never seen a developer cause anything like that. Even if it needs refreshed/cleaned/replaced. Usually you just have broken up solids when the developer needs work.

The picture you put up here looks strange. That's a weird effect.

I would also verify the LED Printhead isn't causing this. unplug power to the LED head then run a test print. Should be solid white.

KipCody
medical school grad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had almost this exact same issue on our in house 8k. We were also using the aftermarket blue drum. Replaced it with a new OEM from Kip and the problem has never come back.

PPCPete
resident

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have seen this too.....and we only use KIP OEM drums.
A new drum will take care of it.

Almost looks like the pattern from the grid screen???? who knows...but a new drum makes it all good !

Placebo
intern

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oops I forgot to update this thread my apologies. A new OEM drum fixed this problem. Thanks everyone!

tbkip
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Drum Pattern Marks Not Seen On Drum Reply with quote Back to top

So does anybody know what causes this? I use nothing but OEM and have the issue pop up every so often. What can we do to stop it? Had it on a 7100 and now a 7170.

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Pattern Marks Not Seen On Drum Reply with quote Back to top

tbkip wrote:
So does anybody know what causes this? I use nothing but OEM and have the issue pop up every so often. What can we do to stop it? Had it on a 7100 and now a 7170.

It is a Drum discharging issue.

If you have an OEM drum and this is happening check your Drum Ground and put a DOT of Conductive Grease on it.

If the copper contact is worn replace it.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have this same exact issue but it's on a KIP3100 and it's a consistent image but it's less than 1/4" wide, all the way on the left edge of 36" print. I spent days trying to figure it out. Swapped out drum, charge assy, cleaning roller and cleaned the dev. roller. I just couldn't find it. Customer hardly runs 36" so they don't mind it but it's still there and baffles me.

tbkip
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Drum Marks Reply with quote Back to top

As a follow up on my issue. First I did want to state that my drum was in almost 100K over its recommended replacement. After replacing the drum, that solved my issue. Upon closer inspection of the old drum once I had it out, it was physically worn with the pattern that people have posted pictures of. Mine happened on the end of drum towards the developer unit gears drive side. I think in my case when dev unit gears start to drive dev unit, maybe it exerts more pressure of the dev roller against the drum. I only had it happen on the one side. Not sure if this had anything to do with it but that side of the drum (when standing in front of machine it would be to the left) would always dust up the LED head from day 1. We tried re-pressurizing that side but it still continued. Now that we did a developer unit rebuild with the kit, i will see if it still dusts toner more on that side. To me it seems that the drum physically got worn only on that one side but I am still not sure what is causing this

Placebo
intern

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Check the mounting of the charge corona on that side and see if the grid plate is rubbing on the drum. If so it's an easy adjustment.

KipCody
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've seen it happen when the voltage to the grid plate is too high as well

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 7100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: