Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

zebra prints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> Oce' Hardware Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jumeda33
intern

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: zebra prints Reply with quote Back to top

Hello everybody,
I recently changed the display in my 9800 scanner. The display works fine and all is well except if I scan a hard copy through it. I get that digital mess of black and white lines. Sort of cool looking but not very useful. Did I miss a plug or connection? Any ideas are great appreciated.
Thanks,
David

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

retrace your steps, may find something amiss
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have been on vacation. Just saw this.

When you replaced the screen did you swap the whole part that has the 4 eeproms on it as well? If so you need the eeproms from the old board. This is the firmware. It needs to match the eeproms on the printer CPU (2 eeproms).

Other things that can cause zebras...

Dirty or flaky memory modules on the Set Memory board located on the plotter. You can clean contacts with an eraser or I have heard using Paper Money has worked (can't verify this). Only clean the modules themselves and not the set memory pba.

The umbilical cord that runs from the scanner to the plotter. Re-seating this connection on both sides remedies problems like this. If you purchase a really high quality contact cleaner you can spray this on the contacts and the chemicals will clean the contacts without ruining the plastics. 3M makes a great product for this.

Also could be a flaky B&W Processor. It is above the Set Memory PBA. These boards are to the Left of the Plotter CPU board.

Sometimes re-seating all the connectors for all of these boards remedies this as well.

You can re-seat connectors on the Scanner boards also.

Also re-seating eeproms on both the CPU on the Plotter and the CPU on the scanner can help.

The boards in all 9800's are getting very old and flaky stuff seems to be more common now. Also any old parts you get or NOS (New Old Stock) can be iffy.

Re-flowing some of these boards can help. I don't have an oven for it but electronics repair companies would have this equipment.

Hope this helps.

jumeda33
intern

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey James,
Originally I did just replace the whole panel from another scanner. I got another language and all sorts of crazy stuff. So I replaced the display and went back to my eeproms. All is well except for the zebra stuff. I just now reseated the four eeproms on the scanner panel and the two on the big cpu on the printer. I am not sure which board is which so I can't call them by name, sorry. I also unplugged and re connected the long cord from printer to scanner. So far same problem. Oddly enough sometimes it will shoot a blank out instead of a zebra print. I didn't have any electronic cleaner to clean anything with. Where should I go from here?
Thanks for your help.
David

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you are seeing occasional blanks then it may very well be the Black and White processor board. It is the square board on the plotter on the side the cable connects from the scanner and the PC. It is directly above the board with all the memory modules on it under the RFI shield covers. The board with all the memory sticks on it is called the Set Memory PBA.

If you have a Black and white processor you should try it. Also the ribbon cable that connects the Set Memory PBA and the Black and White processor together could be in question. Also the Set Memory PBA could cause this but it is less common.

jumeda33
intern

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey James,
Update. I replaced the board and ribbon cable. No changes. I retraced my work putting in the display, no plugs undone. It prints from the computer just fine. What about the board on the side of the scanner?
Thanks,
Dave

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jumeda33 wrote:
Hey James,
Update. I replaced the board and ribbon cable. No changes. I retraced my work putting in the display, no plugs undone. It prints from the computer just fine. What about the board on the side of the scanner?
Thanks,
Dave

It is possible. Since it appears to only be coming from copies on the scanner.

I believe there are some PLCC chips on that board you can try reseating those if you have a PLCC puller. Radio Shack use to sell those they may still have them.

Of course you can try swapping the board too.

I wouldn't rule out the Umbilical cable being the issue. Do you have a spare one?

I can't remember if the inputs on the Set Memory PBA being different from the scanner and PC inputs. If they are different it could be the Set Memory PBA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> Oce' Hardware Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: