Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

USB to Serial Adapter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP software info.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: USB to Serial Adapter Reply with quote Back to top

I've been forced to replace my laptop with a serial port for a laptop, Win7 x64, without a serial port. I've got a USB to serial adapter from StarTech that has the following DIP switches for configuration:

switch 1=485/422 485=2 wire mode 422=4 wire mode

switch 2=echo/no echo

switch 3=no term/term

switch 4=not enabled

I haven't been able to find a group of settings that will allow KIP Diag to connect. Any suggestions??
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

cezwhat
resident

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Buy an old Dell Latitude laptop for $50.00? with a serial port

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You're no fun. Actually I have an old Dell that this new laptop is replacing. IT insists that everything in the building be Win 7 x64 including my laptop and the old one won't handle Win 7. I tried to sell them on a Tough Book but that "is too expensive". The problem is really that I over bought on the adapter, should have just picked up one that would auto configure.

cezwhat
resident

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Send MR. IT out to the service call and tell them to make it work if they insist that you conform to their standards when you are just trying to do your job. They get paid to make machines talk to each other. Just my thoughts. I don't understand why IT people feel the need to complicate things. On the other hand KIP could get their head out of their but and come up with a solution to this issue. Of course the real thinkers are out doing their jobs for them... good luck bro.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

True words. I may stash the old Dell and use it just for service calls.

tjohnson
doctor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure the reason why IT departments are pushing for windows 7 or newer is because of the no longer supported XP operating system that will develop security issues that won't be resolved due to no more updates. It makes total sense to me.

Mark, what I did, since I'm in the same boat is get a docking station that has the extra ports built into it. Ebay is overflowing with them at decent prices.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's a great idea. However the Latitude I was given has no docking connectors at the rear, bottom or anywhere. I'm returning the adapter and ordering one from Keyspan that I know works.

tjohnson
doctor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well that is something I would get all over those tight asses in your IT depts. Ever since I had to retire my old XP laptop I've had a run on needing that serial port, I'd never used it in the previous 3 years. Good luck with your next adapter!

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To put this to bed I returned the really neat "professional" adapter and picked up a KeySpan adapter that configures itself Very Happy . KIP diag and the adapter don't fight so I'm good to go.

Jay
intern

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Keyspan is the only one I have used for years. It works great

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For future reference as this question is already answered.

Keyspan is manufactured by Tripp Lite.

http://www.tripplite.com/high-speed-usb-to-serial-adapter-keyspan~USA19HS/

Also the TrendNet devices have worked with KIP software. As well as others. It is a little smaller package then the Keyspan and is a one piece unit.

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?status=view&prod=265_TU-S9

I have both. Keyspan is recommended by GM for use with their TECH 2 Programmers. But again both the Keyspan and TrendNet work great.

Keyspan and TrendNet are both compatible up to latest Operating systems.

You can configure both to any COM Port Number you wish.

Also speaking of RS232 if anyone needs HyperTerminal on Win 7 you can do it for free by just using the HyperTerminal from XP. Google it. Works great.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP software info. All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: