Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Deck 2 drawer open

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 7970 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TXReproShop
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Deck 2 drawer open Reply with quote Back to top

7970 that was installed new Feb. 7, 2015. It now has 85,xxx square feet. It has a constant error that drawer 2 is open. Drawer looks to be closing like it should, gears and plugs look to meshing fine.

When installed this machine did have a loose plug on the board that did not let rolls 2 & 4 be recognized. Once the plug was taken care of that was fine.

Now it is giving the constant drawer open error.

Anyone had this problem?

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Have you taken a look at the drawer/deck interlock switch?
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

TXReproShop
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Visually looks fine.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was thinking more along the lines of function......you know, monitor the at the pcb would be best.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What does it say the deck switch is H or L in service mode?

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I use to have this problem with many KIP machines.

It's not the socket. Just like Mark said the Interlock Switch.

The service manual refers to it as: MS3B DECKSW2 Deck Switch 2 When the Roll Deck 2 is opened, [Deck Open Signal] is sent to DC Controller PCB.

(BTW: There is a typo in the service manual I have; it refers to Deck 1 in the function section. I corrected it above in this post)

KIP uses a Microswitch. There is a metal tab on the back of the drawer when closed passes through the back of the frame to activate the switch.

It's probably either not adjusted properly from the factory, bent out of shape or a faulty Microswitch.

You should be able to see it by removing the large back panel of the machine. It will be on the Left hand side as you face the back of the machine. There is one for each drawer.

On the OLD 7000 machines I had actually found from the factory KIP had put a connector in the middle of the wiring harness with no apparent purpose other than to connect the wires in the harness.

I don't know if they used this for testing or they just ran short on wire when making the harness and decided to put a union connection to continue the wire run.

Anyways this connection was not making good contact. I had to re tension the pins to make it work.

I don't know if your machine has this little gem or not but if everything else checks out and you are still having the issue then it's worth looking for.

Normally however if you fix the Microswitch and make sure it's engaging properly when the drawer is closed this should fix it.

And do as Mark suggested. Monitor the switch function at the PCB level through the service mode.

This will tell you what the controller is actually seeing in regards to the switch. It could be a faulty switch or wire that makes it intermittently fail. You will only see this at the PCB level.

You should post back here with an update.

TXReproShop
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Seems that the post on the left front side of the frame, the one that the drawer latch goes onto was loose. Tighten that (the post) and so far - so good.

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

TXReproShop wrote:
Seems that the post on the left front side of the frame, the one that the drawer latch goes onto was loose. Tighten that (the post) and so far - so good.

That would cause the drawer not to stay engaged with the interlock. So you fixed it. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 7970 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: