Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Modifying Windows Embedded to Enable File Sharing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalSynergy
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Modifying Windows Embedded to Enable File Sharing Reply with quote Back to top

So I am currently attempting to turn the computer on the KIP 3100 into a file server so that we can push the latest plan .pdf files through the network to the printer and be able to have the foreman or whoever print directly from the KIP Plotter without having to bother any administrators.

There have been several challenges that I've run into, first there are not a lot of control components installed with the windows xp embedded (which will be referred to as XPE from here on out), so when I was attempting to turn on file sharing I had to install the feature which wasn't bad, but then the network setup wizard was missing, there was a link for it but the .dll file was missing from the system32 folder, So i had to find and download a copy of xpe installation discs online and after extracting the disc images I had to locate the netplwiz.dll and copy it into the proper folder on the kip, now with that working I am able to turn on the easy folder sharing option however the windows server service is unable to start and as of yet I am unable to locate the file associated with that service. If anyone has any ideas or would like to know more about how to do this, please feel free to comment. I will post updates with progress.

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is 100% not possible to accomplish on the XPE environment that KIP has setup for the printer IPS.

As you have found out, there are a myriad of .dll files, etc. that are not included on the base image of the IPS.

KIP offers 3 FREE means of printing to the KIP printer from the workstation.

1. KIP Print/Request - this is a PC application that allows for the submittal of any printable file format
2. KIP PrintNET - this is a web based application that is hosted on the KIP printer and allows for the submittal of any printable file format
3. Printer Drivers (Windows/HDI) - this is a driver that is installed on the workstation and is used to print from an application such as Adobe Acrobat and/or AutoCAD.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As Jezebel09 stated though 3 correct ways to print to the KIP. It is possible to set up the machine to dump files directly into the monpath1 folder and have them print, but it's complicated. I have a customer that does this due to a proprietary file storage/printing program.

Maybe the easiest way is (depending on what version software is installed.
In versions 7.0 or higher you can print files (previously scanned or from a flash drive) from the touch screen.
Hook up a USB hard drive and the print button on the touch screen should see
the hard drive and he can print the jobs that way. This works with a flash drive not sure if it works with a hard drive but I would think so.
Or I can't remember exactly since I'm not if front of a machine right now, but try mapping the scan directory and storing the jobs there. The Print button on the touch screen should see the folders and he should be able to print the jobs that way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: