Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Auto Determine if GL or SCRIPT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 5000 Discussions (new)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CadMasteradam
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Auto Determine if GL or SCRIPT Reply with quote Back to top

is there a way to program or create a script that can make our KIP autodetermine if a print file sent to it should be printed using GL or SCRIPT protocol?

right now we rely on human to make the desision.

for example we want most plots to be GL but site plans (A101) we want to be SCRIPT specifically.

thanks!

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think your wording/explanation is a bit off, but I get what you are trying to say.

The KIPScript or KIPGL setting actually comes from the KIP Windows Printer Driver, not from the KIP Printer itself.

The KIP Printer controller, or IPS gets print data (KIPScript, KIPGL, TIFF, PLT, PDF, etc.) and converts this data into something that the KIP printer (hardware) understands. This is automatically handled.

What I believe you are asking is whether or not the KIP Windows Printer Driver can 'automatically' change based on the type of print that is sent to it. This, unfortunately, cannot be done at the print driver level. This would have to come from the application you are printing from or from a separate print application. The KIP Windows Printer Driver is basically 'dumb'; meaning that it only does what it is told to do.

Perhaps you can let the forum know what application you are printing from and maybe someone can offer some advice.

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You could install 2 KIP drivers with one set to GL and the other to Script and name them appropriately, then select the one you want to use when printing.

I have set others up using this method and it seems to work once they get the hang of which print driver to use.

Augiedoggy
resident

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

cjwilt wrote:
You could install 2 KIP drivers with one set to GL and the other to Script and name them appropriately, then select the one you want to use when printing.

I have set others up using this method and it seems to work once they get the hang of which print driver to use.
this is exactly what I do and it was/is the correct way to install both the hp and xerox versions of drivers...
The issue is only a portion of operators know/care enough about them to know which to select....
If my customers run autocad 2011 or newer and print pdfs as well I change the default to kipscript which works for both... Thats if they arent using the autocad drivers.
I still get calls where jobs become stuck in the queue and lock up the machine because they were sent with the wrong driver...
if they could make a driver that could handle both correctly that would be one of the single best upgrades for wide format printing IMHO...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 5000 Discussions (new) All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: