Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Scan to file - SMB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clyde
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Scan to file - SMB Reply with quote Back to top

Software version 7.2.102, When setting up an SMB mailbox. Does one use standard network nomenclature such as . . . \\machine\h\scans ? Would it be case sensitive? and can it accept a user name with a blank password?

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yes, no, and may be yes.

SMB by nature uses what you typed. it is \\server\shared folder\sub folder OR \\ip address\shared folder\sub folder

The SMB location name is not case sensitive; however, a password would be case sensitive

The username and password section should always have some data within them. This is just good practice. The issue you will definitely run into is if you are trying to get to a shared folder on a Windows XP/Vista/7 workstation. You simply wont be able to get to the share without a password.

I would recommend creating an SMB user (maybe something like SMBUser) on the target machine with a password.

Hope this helps.

clyde

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good ideas. Created a new user and password. Unfortunately still no connection.

My environment: SBS 2003 Server (I know, time for a new one) Kip 3000 has a static IP can be pinged and printed to.

Any other ideas for me on the SMB connection?

Thank You

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

From any other workstation, are you able to access the share that you just created and with the new user you just created?

What is the server name of the SBS2003 computer?
What is the shared folder name?
Is there a sub folder that you are trying to get to?

Do you know how to close the IPS touchscreen software to get to the desktop of the IPS? Do you know how to get to and use VNC to get to the desktop of the IPS?

clyde

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Created the user on another computer. Was able to log into the server and access the share.

Server Name: machine
Shared Folder: h
Shared sub folder: Scans

No - I do not know how to close the IPS and navigate to the desktop O/S

For VNC is there a VNC server pre installed in a KIP? If yes then would I need a client on my side? If yes then where could I obtain the software?

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

clyde wrote:
Created the user on another computer. Was able to log into the server and access the share.

Ok, that is good....obviously means that the share is setup and is accessible.

clyde wrote:
Server Name: machine
Shared Folder: h
Shared sub folder: Scans

On the IPS when setting up the SMB location, you are putting in //machine/h/scans/ for the SMB location, correct?

clyde wrote:
No - I do not know how to close the IPS and navigate to the desktop O/S

This isn't the easiest thing in the world to do, but doable.

From the '?' screen, you should see either the KIP logo or your dealer logo on the top left of the screen. Then on the right, is the green and red buttons.

What you need to do is to double-tap the KIP/Dealer logo and then hit the green and then the red button; the IPS should close and you will be at the desktop.

clyde wrote:
For VNC is there a VNC server pre installed in a KIP? If yes then would I need a client on my side? If yes then where could I obtain the software?

Again, this is tricky, but not impossible. You can either use VNC or you can connect a USB mouse/keyboard to get to the desktop.

VNC is installed on the IPS and you can download software from http://www.realvnc.com/download/ . You only need the client and can use the IP address of the IPS to log in.

From that point, you can then get to the Start/Run prompt (the taskbar is automatically hidden, need to move the mouse to the bottom of the screen to bring it up) and the you can try to get access to the server in the same manner as you did previously from the known-good workstation.

Let us know how it goes.

clyde

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

you are putting in //machine/h/scans/ for the SMB location, correct?

I was using \\machine\h\scans - but i tried it with forward slash as well.

I was able to log in to the server from the KIP using both the IPS and using VNC as well.

However, the SMB still does not connect.

I am thinking about creating a user on the SBS 2003 using the Kip Host Name.

Thanks for all the ideas and help!

clyde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Ugh Reply with quote Back to top

I do believe I have tried everything within my ability in regards to SMB scan to server.

Can someone walk me through a local box as a temp short term fix till I get this figured out?

thanks!

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Clyde,

Have you sorted this out yet?

Windows networking is my specialty so I should be able to help you out here.

Make your life more simple here and don't use a sub folder. Just create a folder called "scans" in the root of C: drive and share that folder. Then just use this SMB path on the KIP.

\\machine_name\scans

To test it is setup correctly, on the server, execute the run command and type in: \\machine_name\scans and the shared folder should open.

As far as permissions go, give the "everyone" group full control under the sharing tab and the security (NTFS) tab.

You should be good to go.

clyde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Network SMB Reply with quote Back to top

Tried the scans folder in the root drive. Same result, I can navigate to it with the O/S but the SMB will not connect from the user GUI

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I can navigate to it with the O/S but the SMB will not connect from the user GUI

Not quite sure what u mean by that.

On the server (the Server 2003 box), can you see the contents of folder when u type in \\server2003_machine_name\scans from the run command?

VNC into the KIP controller or plug in a mouse and keyboard and hit ctrl-alt-delete to bring up task manager. You will see about 3 processes running. End task the one that says KIPPrint GUI or something similar. You can let the WINUTD task continue to run. You will now just get to your standard Windows XP desktop. You can get back to the KIP GUI quite easily as there is normally a shortcut on desktop that says KIP GUI restart or something similar.

Now on the controller, from the run command, type in \\server2003_machine_name\scans. What happens?

I am not 100% sure if the run cmd will be in the controller's start menu. If its not, you should be able to right click on the start button and choose properties and there will be an option to customise the start menu and add the run command to it.

While your still on the controller, just run a basic ping command and see if you can ping the server (both by its name and/or its IP address). Lets start with the basics and work our way up.

Since we are dealing with a scan-to-smb issue, we really only care if the KIP controller can ping the server and see the server's shared folder.

The fact that the KIP can be pinged from the server only tells us that printing should be fine.

I would also be disabling any firewalls running on the server 2003 (as part of testing). Although, I doubt this will be the problem since u mentioned the server's shared folder can be accessed by other computers on the network.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: