Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

KIP 3100 PCI slot for NIC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryzer
medical school senior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: KIP 3100 PCI slot for NIC? Reply with quote Back to top

Bear with me, I got roped into trying to help a non-KIP copier tech working on a 3100 about 2 hours away from us. Basically, in a nutshell, this guy says the 3100 stopped printing. According to our IT guy who did a remote session with this guy, he thinks the NIC is bad. What I'm wondering is:
1. Is there an open PCI slot on the 3100 boxes?
2. Can you install your own PCI NIC, and then with mouse and keyboard go and install the drivers for that card?
3. If there is no PCI slot, has anyone ever tried a USB plug-in NIC?
4. Is this guy just SOL and the customer just needs to fork out the cash for a new IPS?

Appreciate any help you guys can give. I did do a search, and read a handful of related posts, but was still a lil confused on whether it is do-able or not.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have a 3k IPS inhouse but our 9k's have an empty slot. I believe all the black box IPS's are the same. Couldn't hurt to try a NIC card as long as the customer has the driver. I imagine the onboard NIC has to be disabled.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

Ryzer
medical school senior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thx for the reply. As for the customer having the driver, you're talking about the driver for that particular NIC card correct? Not some special driver from KIP . It just being a basic XP box, I assume it'd be just like popping in a NIC on your home PC, installing the drivers for it and off you go. But....as for disabling the onboard NIC, I thought I saw somewhere on these forums that you should leave the onboard NIC enabled because the Key Codes are authenticated using the onboard?

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Right you are, don't know what I was thinking about.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

Ryzer
medical school senior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok thanks. So technically, I install the expansion slot NIC, boot up the KIP, Get out of the UI via svc, reset, blah blah blah, and I should have the found new hardware prompt, and from there with a mouse and keyboard I should be able to install the drivers for that NIC and give it a go

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

KIP 3000 IPS has 2 PCI slots on a riser card. I would expect the 3100 to be similar.

The IPS is embedded Windows version (embedded XP on 3000). You can't install full packages like Adobe Reader etc due to certain system files and services not being present.

However, you can definately install a NIC driver no problem. If possible, try to use a driver with a basic *.inf file (for Win XP) as that is guaranteed to work.

Bear in mind, that by changing the NIC, you will get a new IPS number which will require a new KIP code to be issued. You can of course spoof the MAC address of the original/failed NIC controller to avoid having to get new codes.

Best to disable onboard NIC in BIOS as well. Although, you did raise an interesting idea of leaving the onboard NIC enabled to keep the original IPS. That probably would work but I am not 100% sure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: