Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

SP5000-Scorched end block in T/S unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP Legacy Hardware discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladibug
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: SP5000-Scorched end block in T/S unit Reply with quote Back to top

We're working on solving the "splotchy large solid blacks" and after cleaning developer unit, switching 2 & 4 diodes on and Tech reset wires to Kip specs there is now apparently arcing in the T/S unit because the endblock is scorched (smells from burning). Is this from the inside the unit itself or could it be caused by what it connects to? All boards look good and what it goes into is clean.

Regular line drawings are now printing ok but the large black solids are still splotchy. Thought of replacing the #1 charge block but don't want to do anything else until I find out what causes the arcing. And of course don't want to run printer! I can replace the block but assuming it will happen again unless someone can advise why it did this.

Thanking you in advance!

TXReproShop
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am guessing that the block is cracked. Try painting it with some fingernail polish.

ladibug
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, I love neat ideas like that and have fingernail polish from 20 years ago (too much trouble to keep up with). Guess it doesn't matter what color?

Is it safe to do that? The block appeared to be fine last week so I was thinking that something was making it arc (or short) to burn the top, middle end piece and caused it to to separate a tad.

I've no problem at all with gobbing it up with the fingernail polish and think it's a fantastic idea; just want to make sure something else isn't shorting it out because another fire would not be a good thing.

Really appreciate your help, thank you!

TXReproShop
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

From about 7 years ago regarding a problem on a 7000 and the use of fingernail polish.

http://keepitprinting.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1351&highlight=

ladibug
medical school grad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

TX, thank you! Now I know it's Clear Polish and I was going to use sapphire! Very Happy
Actually I have the rail in the car to get the block switched-this is a nasty looking separation at the end but I would never have thought to paint the entire inside. I truly appreciate your taking the time to find that link; that's just what we needed to find what and where to test the wires and boards too.
The prints are looking pretty good now except for larger solid blacks-at least no more negative images.
Guess I'll splurge for a good bottle of clear polish. Thank you so much! Laughing

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

TXReproShop uses nail polish all the time, but mostly on the weekends.....
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

ladibug
medical school grad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing Haha, you're the one in Vegas! But glad to know that nail polish is so popular!

This has been one weird experience but I'm thankful to have a Supreme Helper on my side and whatever the technical problems were I just ran 117 prints that looked good.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not everyone in Vegas wears nail polish......We are an equal opportunity weirdo city....
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP Legacy Hardware discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: