Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Repairing a KIP 3000 controller
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Where's my ticket and I think jezebel09 deserves one also.

pq
resident

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This ended up being one of the best posts to read through...all that talk of bbq shrimp & beers is making me want both!

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all, I am back and still need some help.

Well the original MOBO and capacitor is still not repaired. A local electronics repairer (very hard to find over here) has said he could do it for around $150 AUD but no guarantees as the contents of the failed cap quite often leak down the legs and into the board.

Anyhow, whilst contemplating that option, I thought I might go back to the original idea of completing my replacement controller as it was basically 85 percent done anyway.

Anyway, I found what appears to be the MAC address of the NIC on the old board (12 digit number stuck on LPT port). So I thought I would try spoofing the MAC address of the NIC.

Firstly I had to load the NIC driver for the new board. Problem was once I did that and restarted the controller the IPS number changed. Are you guys saying that if I spoof the NIC address of the old MOBO, the original IPS number will come back?

Anyhow, I went to the customer's place with me semi new controller with the now new IPS number to try and get a build sheet printed so I could ask a KIP rep nicely for the keycodes.

Unfortunately the best I could do was take a printscreen of the configuration screen with the IPS number, Serial number etc as the build sheet wold simply just print as a blank white page.

There is absolutely no error messages coming up so the controller seems happy about the IF card etc. What would be causing a blank white sheet to print (I believe the ink levels were fine).

Something wierd happended as I printed the buld sheet, the controller basically froze up and I lost use of all USB devices etc (so no touchscreen, mouse keyboard etc). Had to restart the controller manually by pulling the plug but the same thing kept happening.

The controller when used stand-alone (ie not connected to KIP) was rock solid when using USB devices.

Whats is the most likely cause of the issue? Incompatibility between new MOBO and IF card. To me a PC is a PC and both MOBOs are similar in terms of Intel chipset etc so what is actually the cause of the incompatibilty?

I promise after all of this, many a shrimp on the barbie will be devoured Very Happy

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

marky000 wrote:

Anyway, I found what appears to be the MAC address of the NIC on the old board (12 digit number stuck on LPT port). So I thought I would try spoofing the MAC address of the NIC.

Firstly I had to load the NIC driver for the new board. Problem was once I did that and restarted the controller the IPS number changed. Are you guys saying that if I spoof the NIC address of the old MOBO, the original IPS number will come back?

Anyhow, I went to the customer's place with me semi new controller with the now new IPS number to try and get a build sheet printed so I could ask a KIP rep nicely for the keycodes.

Unfortunately the best I could do was take a printscreen of the configuration screen with the IPS number, Serial number etc as the build sheet wold simply just print as a blank white page.

There is absolutely no error messages coming up so the controller seems happy about the IF card etc. What would be causing a blank white sheet to print (I believe the ink levels were fine).

Something wierd happended as I printed the buld sheet, the controller basically froze up and I lost use of all USB devices etc (so no touchscreen, mouse keyboard etc). Had to restart the controller manually by pulling the plug but the same thing kept happening.

The controller when used stand-alone (ie not connected to KIP) was rock solid when using USB devices.

Whats is the most likely cause of the issue? Incompatibility between new MOBO and IF card. To me a PC is a PC and both MOBOs are similar in terms of Intel chipset etc so what is actually the cause of the incompatibilty?

You hit the nail on the head. The KIP I/F card and the motherboard HAVE to have a specific chipset in order to work. The KIP I/F card is not something that you can go to the local computer shop and purchase and therefore is designed around specific chipsets.

When the IPS locks up during printing, it is the conflict with the I/F card and the motherboard chipset.

The IPS number will change due to the change in the 'IPS unit' you now have. The IPS number is derived from the CPU ID (I assume the CPU was changed), the MAC address of the NIC and serial number of the KIP I/F card.

I would have been at the bar by now......

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok but if I was to spoof the MAC address of the original MOBO, would the IPS number go back to the original one or would it once again change to a different/new IPS.

I have a few other Pentium 4 motherboards lying around so maybe I need to find one with the exact same northbridge and southbridge chipsets.

Well yes the CPU was changed but if you are implying the orignal IPS number will be created if I spoof the old NIC MAC and install the original CPU, that is indeed possible.

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Theoretically anything is possible.....let us know how things turn out.

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jezebel09 wrote:
Theoretically anything is possible.....let us know how things turn out.

Ok I will. What I meant by my question was I assume that if the IPS number returned to the original, there would be no need for codes to be re-issued?

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You are correct, if you can get the IPS Number to return to the original, then no new key codes will need to be reissued.

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I am back and have some interesting news.

I was cursing myself for throwing out a tonne of Pentium 4 boards last year because the remaining 10 I kept for testing purposes were of a different chipset.

However, I got a lucky break. I did a job for one of my established customer's who had an old server gathering dust and thought "what the heck, lets open it up and check the MOBO out". I couldn't believe my eyes, the southbridge controller had the exact same chipset as the one on the dead MSI board. I knew the southbridge controller was key because that takes care of the IDE, PCI and USB (basically all the periphery stuff). The northbridge controller had no chipset numbers engraved but I wasn't concerned as that basically just looks after the CPU-RAM communication.

I made up a dummy KIP controller with this newly discovered MOBO. I plug it into the customer's KIP 3000 and attempt to print a Build sheet and Bingo!!!! it prints wow. No USB lockups or anything, the controller was functioning normally after the build sheet printout.

All looking great until I tried to print out a few more build sheets and then got this eror message: "Internal Voltage Error, E-031-E034, Cycle Power".

I wasnt sure what caused this but I discovered this post by another user from this forum:

"I ran into this with one of my customer and found out that the screws on the exit door was loose and when paper would be feed out it would cause the cover switch to break for just a sec and give a votage error since I tighten the screw no more problem I now all call check this and after I tighten the screw I cover the side of the screw head to the cover with some fingernail polish to lock into place"

Well, I don't even know what the exit door is (maybe the door at the back that is opened to remove paper jams?).

Hopefully this has nothing to do with the contoller but I didnt see this error message when I was using the other dummy controller I had built (but that was only printing blank sheets due to wrong chipset on MOBO).

I doubt its relevent but something I should mention. It looks like there was some sort of power surge that damaged some things in the KIP. The AC power cable that goes into the back of the controller is not working so I have to connect the controller directly to an AC wall socket. Probably the same power surge that killed the PSU and the MOBO.

bigal
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: error 31 etc Reply with quote Back to top

This is usually caused by a dirty charge unit. Generic message. Sounds like you got a non kip mobo to work!
great job! But does it accept the keycodes?
you will have to send Kip America a copy of build sheet to get new codes.
I just had a similar issue on a Kip 700 when the onboard lan went bad.
I installed a usb lan and had to get new keycodes still cheaper than a new controller!

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: error 31 etc Reply with quote Back to top

bigal wrote:
This is usually caused by a dirty charge unit.

great job! But does it accept the keycodes?

Well since I am not a KIP technician I dont know where or how to clean the charge unit unless you are simply talking about the AC input into the KIP lol. I guess I will have to go through the service manual if I can find one.

Regarding the keycodes, I plan on spoofing the NIC MAC address of the original MOBO to restore the original IPS number. Based on other expert comments, I think this will work, and thus no need for requesting key codes.

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just came back from a nearby neighbourhood that was having a bulk rubbish collection pickup. I found a few old Pentium 4 PCs and they had the MOBO with the correct chipsets.

Someone over here said he may have a few KIP IF cards as well so you guys might see a few KIP 3000 controllers on Ebay very soon lol.

Altough these MOBOs are full ATX size so i will have to modify the case somehow to allow the MOBO to fit.

marky000
medical school senior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hye guys.

Well I got the controller working with the same IPS number using all the info above. So controller wise, all should be good.

I am going onsite today and am still concerned about the INternal Voltage Error. Can someone in layman terms tell me what/where the charge unit is and the exit door (assuming the rear of printer where paper feeds out?)

I am thinking it might be due to loose screws causing some sort of shorting/earthing issue so I guess I could just tighten every screw i find.

Hope you guys can get back to me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: