Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

3000 scanner issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CESRTech
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: 3000 scanner issue Reply with quote Back to top

Have a customer with a very old KIP 3000. I was there recently doing a PM, and the last thing I was doing was the scanner adjustment (the confusing nature of this adjustment and its poor manual translation are a whole separate issue) and I was having a devil of a time adjusting the position of the CIS assemblies and the feed distance. I also would've liked to update the firmware (currently at 1.00) and the scanner started flipping out. on GUI, scanner says 'online,' but when a doc is inserted, it switches to 'scanner not found.' The one time I was able to get a doc scanned, it ran thru as normal, but preview was totally blank. Does this scanner have deep-seated electronics issues, or is it firmware/adjustment issues?

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It may be the DC Control PCB on the scanner. If it is you're probably SOL unless someone here has one to sell, KIP has stopped stocking that part. Even if they had one the MSRP is around $3800, more than the printer is worth.......
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

tjohnson
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Are you flipping dipswitch 4 on when doing the firmware update? I have had issues with previous versions of firmware based on the type of board you have installed. I've had great luck with version 2.1 taking care of most of my issues with that scanner.

CESRTech

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the prompt replies. I have NOT updated firmware (could not find it; if anyone has it, can you email it to [email protected]? Thx) and I sincerely hope it is not the DC controller, but it would not surprise me, given the 3000 track record. seems that when these scanners go down, they go down in flames.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

YUP, I hope it's not like what Mark said. Last month, I had a KIP7100 that did the same thing. On start up, it would say "Scanner Online" but when you input a paper it went to "Scanner Offline". Then finally it started to just show "Scanner Online" for a quick second on startup, then automatically switch to "Scanner Offline". When you open the scanner, is there any lights on? This scanner's green light stayed on constantly when you open or closed the hood. Finally, didn't even recognize when I inserted a drawing. Ended up replacing the main board on the scanner (NOT the DC Controller).

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You got lucky

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mark, if you are referring to me being lucky, you don't know half of it..LOL. This customer has a service contract with us, which includes all parts and labor. While I was trying to figure out what happened to the scanner, a few of the workers told me that they had 3 or 4 power outages the week prior and that the KIP started to act funny ever since. They had to reboot numerous times to get it running, so they could print to it. It wasn't until someone tried to scan, that they noticed the scanner issues. Well, our contract doesn't cover power outage/surges or "acts of god" damage, so the customer ended paying for the parts and labor.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sell them a surge protector......

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We did.... Wink

CESRTech

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, at the customer's request, another tech went up to take a crack at the machine, and the same result. The machine's serial number pegs its age at 10-12 years. General consensus is that the DC Controller of the scanner is shot, the opinion coming from KIP tech support. So, RIP to this printer. Thanks to everyone for weighing in on this issue. This is why I'm a member.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: