Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

9800 software upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> Oce' Software Discussion Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jumeda33
intern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: 9800 software upgrade Reply with quote Back to top

Does anyone know if I can upgrade my dead NT 4.0 computer that runs my 9800 to a new computer and OS and still be able to run the 9800? I know the current setup matches itself to the mac address and the print and scan codes match with the serial number. I am more mechanically inclined than computer inclined so please go easy on me. LOL. I also don't know about putting those special cards that the cables run off of from the computer to the machine into another computer. Hope I am somewhat clear as to what I am trying to accomplish. Thanks for any input.
David

gjames
resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes you can upgrade the 9800 to Windows XP Professional. However it depends on what version of software you were using on the NT controller. If your keycodes are for older versions then those versions won't run on XP. If your software is one of the newer versions that were compatible with XP then defiantly you can run it on XP.

The 9800 on XP usually requires two Serial Connections present in order to function properly. If you use a computer that has only one serial with a video/VGA port next to the serial this will normally cause a problem.

Most motherboards that use this one serial and one VGA cause frequency contamination when it communicates on the CPU buss. This will cause the 9800 to either not recognize altogether or flake out when running.

To get around this you would need to install a two DB9 Serial Controller and disable the on board Serial. Then reassign COM1 and COM2 to the new serial controller. This is very stable.

So in that configuration your new XP PC would have to have TWO PCI slots. Some of the newer computers only have ONE PCI Slot and there in lies the rub. So you would either need a special DB9 Serial Controller to run off a different type of SLOT or you would need to use USB to Serial adapters.

I have actually successfully used the USB to Serial Adapter with the 9800 but it isn't the most stable when initializing. So there is some steps the customer has to do when the PC and the 9800 don't initially connect properly. Once connected and talking it's flawless.

I can set up a new controller for you for a fee. I have PC's that are off lease that would be compatible with 9800 and XP.

But before you do anything you need to verify your KeyCodes are for the newer ReproDesk software. Without this you would need to purchase an upgrade from OCE.

I know someone who should be able to check the keycodes just let me know via PM what they are and what version of software you are currently running.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> Oce' Software Discussion Area All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: