Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

KIP3K Software freeze on print

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidvg
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: KIP3K Software freeze on print Reply with quote Back to top

Our KIP3000 has had some issues where it would not boot. We (our service contract people) were able to restore it on a new hard drive via the CD taped underneath the box and believe we have the config settings in correctly (some from the service company and our own research) after reading some of the posts on the forums. It can scan fine, I see the scan preview on the screen as it is scanning, it stores it and can be retrieved on the network using KIP request.

However, it will freeze when printing or copying during the printing cycle. The machine will spool up and output a sheet of paper and cut that is the correct size for the print job, but the page will be blank. After a single print/copy attempt it will stay frozen and not accept any input until it is restarted. After it is restarted, it will be able to attempt to print once and give the same result and freeze again. Until this issue it printed fine and the image looked great.

The KIP authorized service company that serves our region is wanting to wash their hands of this and has recommended getting a new non-kip brand large format machine as this 3000 is no longer supported. I think if we could make this one survive for at least a year more we will be able to budget for a new one.

I am the company’s IT technical contact and wanted to dig a little deeper into the issue. When I plug in a USB keyboard and mouse I can close the touch-screen interface and see the Kip Queue View status window that displays more info on what is happening when it freezes. The Kip Queue View status window. When it boots and I watch it, the status window alternates between “reading printer status” and “Idle” which looks good. When it goes to print it says Converting and some other things and then freezes the entire computer when this status appears “Waiting for Print to complete before reading printer status”. That is when the blank page comes out and the computer never recovers until it is cold restarted. Even a local test print on the controller freezes at this same spot (see image below).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xs98th0nhj4orq/KipFreeze.jpg

Any ideas? We are on good terms with the KIP authorized service company, but think they do not want to touch it anymore.

If anyone has correct bios settings I can verify that may be helpful too in case something there got reset. This entire controller may be on its last legs and we would be up for replacing the whole thing, but after reading around on the forums I would need a new IF card too? (White box -> black)

More info
IPS#: NKO4W RX5K3 DXU7
IF Board#: 6PA-00766
Software Ver 6.5.485
The controller is white and made by MSI Sad

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

\Can I ask as to what preceded this problem? I am sure you didn't walk in one morning and this started to happen? Was there anything done to the machine before this occurred?

To me, it sounds like either a configuration problem or perhaps a connection isn't quite right.

Within the controller, there is a configuration file for the printer. If you can download this and get it posted to look at, it might shed some light on the situation. c:\program files\kip\unattend\winuntd.ini

davidvg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The KIP started to have issues starting where it would freeze or not boot at all. When this would occasionally happen, turning off the machine for 10min and then powering it back on would do the trick. Then at one point it would not come back with that and it was then the service contract people recommended we buy a new hard drive to fix this problem: 40-80GB IDE Seagate. And we did and then ghosting occurred. I was able to recover some files off the original hard-drive and place them back in the same place on the new drive after ghosting had finished.

The link below is to the recovered c:\program files\kip\unattend\winuntd.ini that has now been placed on the new drive. The machine now boots and can scan correctly, but has the printing issue where it freezes the entire system (listed above).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cy1bxk5vqj078o7/WinUntd.Ini

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see anything glaring in the ini file.

Here is what I would do. I would take the controller out, take the lid off and pull the riser-board and the KIP Printer Interface board out and then reseat them (firmly).

If these are a little bit loose, it is possible to get problems like what you are seeing.

One other file I would be interested in seeing is in c:\programs\error.sav.

This is an error log that is output by the applications that are talking with the interface card and the printer.

davidvg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for the idea, I gave it a try with re-seating the riser-board and card with no success.

Below is a link to the error.sav file requested:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlbi8wwkldws43r/ERROR.SAV

I think we might want to just replace the entire controller since I know the white box model is sometimes problematic. Would I be able to source an entire new controller box (I think they are black now)? Is this possible? Would it be a drop-in replacement after some configuration or would I also need an additional hardware 'adaptation'?

jezebel09
resident

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, looking at the error.sav, I see quite a few error 44s and a couple error 12s. The 44s without any text behind it are saying that the printer didn't print all of the data. This is usually caused by the lead/trail edge adjustment, but I doubt that it would cause the controller to hard lock.

I don't recall what the printer error 12 was (that is a rare error), but looking at the data contained within the error, it also isn't printing completely. Again, I don't think it would cause the controller to lock up.

While I am not totally convinced there could be printer settings out of whack, I don't think I have ever seen a printer setting cause the issues you are describing.

Replacing the controller is going to be problematic, that is for sure. Getting a motherboard and case that both fit and have the right chipset is tough.

Perhaps someone here can direct you.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Also, check the capacity of the drives C: and D: if you have that. If they are full, they will act like that. A customer called and said that their KIP would be good but when you tried to do anything with the touchscreen, it would lock up. So I thought it was the touchscreen or controller. It ended up being a full C: drive. Had another customer where the controller wouldn't print and kept locking up, when I got there, thier D: drive was full. I had to remove files in the Problem folders.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Also take a look at the caps on the motherboard. If they're swollen replace them. Bad caps can cause a number of different issues. The white box controllers were replaced by KIP quite a while back, wonder why your servicing dealer didn't request the no cost replacement.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: