Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

KIP 2050 Scanner SCSI Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 2050-80-120 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwanderson
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: KIP 2050 Scanner SCSI Problems Reply with quote Back to top

I have a 2050 that I am trying to convert to stand alone. (it was hooked up to a KIP 6000 and ran just fine before we traded in the 6000 printer engine)
We have the SAME STF computer with its SCSI card and cable hooked up to it.
(this is the SAME setup we purchased the device with)
When the Scanner is turned on and warmed up, the STF computer stalls and hangs up on the SCSI Select Utility during the STF computer startup process.
Of course, If I shut the scanner off, the STF computer can then continue with the SCSI Boot Process...
if I quickly get into the Select Utility (before the SCSI port scanning process) I can see that the Select Utility does not ever get through the scanning process to recognize the scanner... (when I go to disk utilities, it starts at port 0 and stays there until the scanner is turned off)
The AHA-2930CU SCSI card is configured for ID #7 and the scanner is on port 6 and is terminated via the configuration on the scanner.

Are there any BD settings or any additional information that I might be missing for stand alone operation?
I would assume that an Active SCSI Termination dongle is NOT required as I have enabled termination via the settings on the 2050.
Within the SCSI Select Utility: Host adapter SCSI termination is set to Automatic and parity check is enabled.

I have tried re-seating SCSI card in the STF computer (I put it in another PCI slot if that is ok?) and I also tried reinstalling the ASPI layer with no results...

Interestingly enough, if I disable SCSI termination on the 2050 scanner, the SCSI bios does see the KIP K-75 scanner in the SCSI Select Utility. it is then identified and windows starts just fine. I can start the KIP 2050 Powerprint Scan Software Ver. 5.5.21 but the software then crashes with the windows ScsiScan.exe error.

I am not sure if I have the SCSI termination set up properly...
The SCSI BIOS seems to hang up on the Scanning for Discs portion of the SCSI configuration during boot when it is what I think as being terminated properly. Perhaps I doing something wrong with the SCSI termination.
I am trying to figure out what to try next.
my questions would be:
1) are there some BD settings or something else that I might be missing for the stand alone configuration?

2) would it be possible to obtain a service manual for this device [email protected]

3) is there a SCSI hookup chart (or any additional information that might be useful) for the 2050 hookup using the SCSI interface?

4) Should the 2050 work with most Adaptec SCSI adapters...
(I have a Adaptec 19160/2916N that I might try to hook it up to if all else fails)

Thanks
Ken Anderson

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's odd that removing the printer would do this to the STF PC. The only thing that comes to mind is if you have the correct TERMINATOR settings, but it looks like you tried that already.

I sent you the manuals.

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It might be looking for information from the printer. Roll info etc.
If you are just using it to scan to file I would set BUD 294 from "0" to "1"
this makes the scanner a scan to file only and will disable the touch screen on the scanner.

I emailed you a link to download the service manual.

slyman
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

CHILLIN wrote:
It might be looking for information from the printer. Roll info etc.
If you are just using it to scan to file I would set BUD 294 from "0" to "1"
this makes the scanner a scan to file only and will disable the touch screen on the scanner.

I emailed you a link to download the service manual.

I've done that before and worked fine for me.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We've been waiting to hear back from the OP, to see if he got this resolved and what he did.

kwanderson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: NO Luck with Manuals Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your interest! As a new member, I just didnt want to BOMBARD this GREAT resource with questions and requests that are not well thought out (this is one of the BEST forums EVER, and I just wish that I could contribute more instead of just taking). Also, walking away for a time from things that are not working for you can help lead to a fresh perspective, and possible solution. (getting frustrated at this point though...)

<<BUD 294 from "0" to "1" >>
I failed to mention that I had done this already... (not an easy task without any knowledge of BUD settings or any manuals..., but I have the info I need to accomplish these tasks now, THANKS YOU GUYS!)

After re-seating the SCSI card again the scanner is now being recognized and identified as KIP K-75 during the SCSI card boot information...
And windows now boots up just fine! (letting the scanner warm for a minute up after its startup process seems to help too, another forum tip!)

However, the KIP K-75 device does not show up in the Windows XP Device Manager (at least, I cannot find it, I assume that it should be under SCSI & RAID Controllers) Shouldn't it show up in the XP Device Manager?
The AHU2930CU Adaptec Card Does show up just fine.

If I run the PowerPrint Scan 5.5.21
and get the standard MS Scsiscan.exe error report...
Closing that follows up with the
KIP Powerprint Scan Error Messge
NO KIP K-75
I really suspect that the AHU2930CU SCSI card is not working...
(I have inspected the cable, as mentioned BF, and visually the pins look good)
But before trying to purchase one, I should probably try to reinstall all software fresh.

So, at this point I am looking at two roads...
The first is to reinstall ALL of the software, which I tried already, but I was thinking I would try again with the latest software.
ASPI & Powerprint... (anything else)
But I do NOT have this on the disks that I recieved.

The second road it to try a different SCSI Card
I have some Adaptec 19160/29160N cards laying around...
but I am not sure if these would even work. It appears from Forum chat that this probably will NOT work and that the scanner will probably ONLY work with the AHU2930CU. Has anyone had any luck with other Adaptec SCSI cards with this 2050 scanner?
SO, that said, I guess that I am looking at purchasing another AHU2930CU SCSI card as a final resort in my diagnosis...

I know that SCSI cards can fail, perhaps the card was unplugged from the scanner while hot and fried the card? (as mentioned, all worked well before when it was hooked up to a 6000?)
SO, any reputable sellers out there for the AHU2930CU? (there are a ton of them on E-bay, but not too happy about an untested card purchase via E-bay)
Thanks in advance!
K

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This forum is one of our lifelines to give and receive advice and help. Of course we are interested....lol.

Latest Scan software for that is KIPScan Version 6.5.1. Check your email. I hope this helps.

Also, you stated that you traded in your KIP6000, did you trade it for another printer? If so, is it a KIP? Just asking, to see if we could make the scanner come back to life if we connect it to your "newer" printer. Just a thought.

kwanderson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We traded it for an OCE TDS 750, unfortunately, it has a TC4 Color Scanner with it... Just want to get the KIP scanner working cause the Oce scanner... well have you ever used a TC-4? (I miss my ole 2050) Lets just say that I need volume scanning, and the TC-4 is fine for color and onesee twosee's, but it is not a production scanner by any means! The thing wont even auto-rotate!

K

kwanderson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: KIP 2050 Scanner SCSI Problems Reply with quote Back to top

tried reinstalling Scan (It apeared to install the correct TWAIN drivers) and the ASPI and...

Still getting the In ASPI Error: No KIP K-75 found.
when using Scan software
I think that I need to address the SCSI card on the XP machine next.

Must the scanner show up in the XP Device Manager? Say as KIP K-75 or something like that.
If so, where?

Has anyone had any luck with using SCSI cards from Adaptec other than the AHA-2930CU?

I have an Adaptec 19160/2916N that I might try to hook up to it? Is that even worth a try?
beyond that, purchasing a used 2930CU on ebay would be a possibility...
I just will not know if it works either as I would assume that most of these are used.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 2050-80-120 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: